Wish Synth Block Fixes Please

Post a preset. I was just using 3 patches and didn't hear chirping...maybe I'm not clear on your definition. I don't hear bird like or sneakers on time sounds.

Very difficult. The chirping is due to the pick attack being interpreted as a high pitch.

One approach I've tried is dynamic filtering (i.e. alpha-beta trackers, etc.) for the pitch but that introduces other problems with the pitch sliding between notes. It's a limitation of the technology. Real-time pitch detection is simply limited in what it can do.

The best solution is to alter your technique to minimize pick attack.

I've found using the neck pickup helps. Try using smooth picks (or your fingers) that won't bite the string. If you don't need a quick attack, you can insert an auto-swell volume block prior to the synth block and adjust its attack a bit to cut off the initial pick chirp.

Very difficult. The chirping is due to the pick attack being interpreted as a high pitch.

One approach I've tried is dynamic filtering (i.e. alpha-beta trackers, etc.) for the pitch but that introduces other problems with the pitch sliding between notes. It's a limitation of the technology. Real-time pitch detection is simply limited in what it can do.

The best solution is to alter your technique to minimize pick attack.

Couldn't this be solved with the volume block trick, and then removing the attack from the Pitch?

1) Put volume block in parallel with pitch shifter
2) Bypass shifter with Bypass Mode set to Mute
3) Attach the ADSR to the volume block's "Volume" parameter
4) Set ADSR as follows:
- Attack: 1ms
- Decay: 3ms
- Sustain: 1ms
- Release: 1ms
- Level: 100%
5) Set threshold such that only the pick attack is audible (around -25dB)
6) Unmute the pitch block

(Note: I don't know what I'm talking about but I had this saved from years ago and it's an amazing tip for "latency" in the pitch block)

My Boss SY-1 doesn't have this problem....

It sounds shit but it tracks perfectly.

I'll try the suggestions. Thanks for the replies.

i normally put a drive block in front of the pitch shifter. the synth block gets it's pitch info from the main input, but it's envelope info from the block input. you get more sustain this way and the drive can roll off some top and bottom, which helps the synth track better.

As with the trick I mentioned above (in fact I think it's your trick, Simeon!)...

Could the block have a 2ms delay, where the original signal is allowed in for a millisecond or two, so the chirp doesn't sound but it doesn't feel like latency?

honestly, this is solvable through other means. neck pickup. tonr down. drive in front. the pitch block already has enough latency, i don't really want any more!

the synth block gets it's pitch info from the main input

I'm pretty sure the Synth block in the Axe III responds to the pitch info at block input...for example if you pitch shift the incoming audio with a Pitch block before the Synth block, the Synth block reads that pitch shift (handy trick to make the Synth be able to track a bass guitar by shifting the bass up an octave, but at the expense of adding latency). The Axe II only accepted pitch from the main input.

A few more tricks to help with pitch to synth tracking in general:

- Gate and/or compress the signal going into to Pitch block

- With the neck pickup, try boosting the lows even more

- Send the Pitch block into a gated fuzz (Drive block heavily bit reduced) to add even more tightness.

Back
Top Bottom