Not a Bug Synth block bypass issue (short blip)

Moke

Axe-Master
Vendor
When the Synth blocks are switched 'on' or 'off', there is a short blip that gets through that ignores the 'Level' and 'Balance' settings. Only happens when the Bypass mode is set to 'Thru'

For example... If the 'Level' is set anything lower than '0 dB', and the block is switched 'on' or 'off', there will be a short pulse that gets through. To best hear this issue, set the 'Level' to '-80 dB'

This seems to be the same for the AX8, Axe-Fx II, and Axe-Fx III. I don't have an FX8 to test.

Here is a sample 'Axe-Fx II' preset to demonstrate this. Switch between any of the first four scenes to hear it.

Attachments

• Synth bypass bug (thru only).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
Synth block Gurus, @simeon, @Admin M@, can you confirm this bug?

I have something with the synth block panned so as to use only one IR in a stereo cab. But when it is switched on or off, this short blip of output comes out of both sides (ignoring the balance parameter as mentioned), sending the synth output to the wrong IR for that short blip. Very annoying..:confused:

never heard that myself, but i never really bypass the block. i always have it running in a separate lane if i have an amp and cab in the preset and use volume blocks or the mixer to control where the signal goes. why not redesign the preset so you use two mono cabs instead?

never heard that myself, but i never really bypass the block. i always have it running in a separate lane if i have an amp and cab in the preset and use volume blocks or the mixer to control where the signal goes. why not redesign the preset so you use two mono cabs instead?
There are ways around it, but no other block does this? It is a bug, and it exists on all of the platforms that I have.

I also have an AX8, and there is only one cab block, so panning is used when I need to access one IR or the other. Again, there are ways around it, but it can needlessly eat up another block space (no feedback send and return blocks in the AX8) and I am out of spaces.

if you have an axefx patch that does it, i'd be interested to have a look at it
Sample preset in the OP ^^^^

The example is not how I would use it, but it illustrates the issue.

Last edited:
ok thanks, i had a look

all three voices are set to tracking = off
the main volume is all the way down on the block

what you're hearing is the sound of the synth voices for a split second during the transition in and out of bypass. with tracking = off they play by themselves. test it by changing the frequency of the voices and you'll hear how the "blip" changes as well

if you put the main volume at a normal level and turn the three synth voices down to zero, the problem goes away

if you set the three synth voices to something other than tracking = off, the problem goes away

if you set the bypass mode to anything other than thru, the problem goes away

this may be a bug, it may not. cliff would have to have a look at it, but you could make a workaround without having to use another block, i reckon. if your expression pedal is attached to synth main volume, then perhaps attach it to all three individual synth volumes instead

ok thanks, i had a look

all three voices are set to tracking = off
the main volume is all the way down on the block

what you're hearing is the sound of the synth voices for a split second during the transition in and out of bypass. with tracking = off they play by themselves. test it by changing the frequency of the voices and you'll hear how the "blip" changes as well

if you put the main volume at a normal level and turn the three synth voices down to zero, the problem goes away

if you set the three synth voices to something other than tracking = off, the problem goes away

if you set the bypass mode to anything other than thru, the problem goes away

this may be a bug, it may not. cliff would have to have a look at it, but you could make a workaround without having to use another block, i reckon. if your expression pedal is attached to synth main volume, then perhaps attach it to all three individual synth volumes instead
Thanks for taking a look, I do appreciate it. I am aware of everything that you mentioned. The test case was just to exaggerate the issue.

If you, for example, had the level at a lower setting (-8 dB?) and bypass (or activate) the block, you will get a (full volume) short blip at it's left and right outputs (regardless of it's panning)?

This has to be a bug? No other block does this when being bypassed and/or activated (that I have found so far). So I was looking for confirmation and wanted to bring it to Fractal Audio's attention.

I think thru bypass works the same on all blocks, but others are less likely to require level settings that cause any real problems. Amp blocks will do this and it's probably the cause of noises when switching between two in series.

A solution for now with synth is to keep block output level/balance at 0 and only adjust individual voice level/pan settings when possible.

I think thru bypass works the same on all blocks, but others are less likely to require level settings that cause any real problems. Amp blocks will do this and it's probably the cause of noises when switching between two in series.

A solution for now with synth is to keep block output level/balance at 0 and only adjust individual voice level/pan settings when possible.
Sounds good. Seems strange, but maybe it is intended to smooth out on/off switching?

I will carry on. Nothing to see here.. these aren't the droids you're looking for.:D

Back
Top Bottom