Syncing audio and video

torkolort

Inspired
I'm doing a youtube cover and recorded the audio into cubase while capturing video with my iPone 5. I loaded the files into iMovie and messed around until I found the correct spot for sync. When I play it from the beginning it's in sync, but as it plays the audio moves very slowly out of sync. At the end of the movie (around 4 minutes) it's totally out of sync, and the audio is like 0,5-1 second behind the video. Is this because the audio is recorded at 48k and the video at 44,1k? If so is there anything I can do to correct the async with the files I got? I really hope I don't have to do it all over again...

It's definitely a sample rate issue but not necessarily that they were different... e.g, the difference between 44.1k and 48k would be quite noticeable. I've recorded video where the audio has been captured at the same sample and bit rate on a portable device to find similarly that it creeps out of sync.

Now, i'm not 100% sure about iMovie but i use Final Cut (big brother to iMovie) and you can easily re-time the video to the audio by hitting cmd-r. The speed difference will be so slight that it won't be noticeable.

Good luck with the project!

Thanks!

I had my brother look into it as he is more experienced with video editing and he managed to get it in sync. He used Premiere Pro so I guess I should look for something else than iMovie next time... :)

it's also heloful (when you do another one) to hit the strings a couple of times after you start recording, but before you start the take to act like a "clapperboard". if you're recording audio on your phone and in cubase, you'll be able to line up both audio streams easily before you mute the phone audio. because the audio will be lined up from both sources....so will the video.

When I have done scoring in Cubase and sync drifts slowly, it is always down to frame rate... just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom