SXSW Canceled.......

The sooner the virus is everywhere, which it will be anyway, the sooner everyone can get over the hysteria and get back to work.

The sooner the virus is everywhere, which it will be anyway, the sooner everyone can get over the hysteria and get back to work.
What hysteria? Trying to prevent people from catching and spreading it?

are you suggesting it’s better to just have everyone catch it, see who dies, and move on? If more people catch it, hospitals will be overrun and less will be saved due to lack of resources.

can you clarify, I’m just not understanding.

You said it.

To those who are among the vulnerable population, be vigilant and take relevant precautions. For everyone else, there is little that can be done - don't let it stop you from living. As a member of a family who are career healthcare providers, I can only say this: Wash your hands, try not to touch your face, be cognizant of what you engage and your personal cleanliness. Viruses spread; it's the way our spinning mudball of a spaceship works.

Thank you all for reminding me why I so rarely participate in oxymoronically named "social forums".

I hope to find you all well on the other side. Peace, love, and good happiness stuff.

You said it.

To those who are among the vulnerable population, be vigilant and take relevant precautions. For everyone else, there is little that can be done - don't let it stop you from living. As a member of a family who are career healthcare providers, I can only say this: Wash your hands, try not to touch your face, be cognizant of what you engage and your personal cleanliness. Viruses spread; it's the way our spinning mudball of a spaceship works.

Thank you all for reminding me why I so rarely participate in oxymoronically named "social forums".

I hope to find you all well on the other side. Peace, love, and good happiness stuff.
while i agree with most of this, "don't let it stop you from living" is a far cry from "don't travel right now to crowds of people where it can easily spread." you have to admit those are 2 different things, right?

when you mention "vulnerable population" who is that? who isn't that, is a better question. i'm honestly not arguing but trying to figure out what you mean. a few weeks ago, the US wasn't a vulnerable population. today, many places in the US are. how did that happen?

just yesterday quotes from the organizers were such that "nothing will make us cancel this" and "if less people come, that makes it more intimate and even better."

to me, this shows the level of misinformation about there about the severity of what's going on.

I don't think it's misinformation about the severity. I think as an organizer of a large event where the virus could spread and require quarantining people, there's enormous risk of lawsuits. Ridiculous lawsuits, IMO, but a risk nevertheless.

But it is annoying to listen to bravado about carrying on the festival, only to do a 180* a day or two later.

Here’s an article by a very smart man that I have a lot of respect for.

He sums up who is really dying of what and people’s responses to reality and hype.

https://futuristspeaker.com/futuris...-our-pants-down-in-an-age-of-hyper-awareness/

I don’t know how else to put this, but that article is dangerously uninformed.

A) Where do people get the idea that Y2K was overblown? It was averted only because there was a Herculean effort to address the problem.

B) COViD19 is far more serious than seasonal flu. The only reason seasonal flu doesn’t kill millions of people every year is because many people have immunity from previous years and from vaccines. This herd immunity serves as a brake to limit the seasonal flu outbreak every year. There is no such immunity in the population for COVID19 to prevent it from spreading widely. On top of this It has a much higher mortality rate than seasonal flu. The latest WHO estimates are 20 to 30 times higher.

C) A vaccine is likely in the offing next year. That will be an effective long term solution. It’s hard to understand how the author could be blind to this.

I understand the appeal of the author’s viewpoint of “why do something when it’s so much easier to do nothing”. I can be as lazy as the next person. But we’re better than that. We can and should aspire to solve the problems facing mankind. We are not descended from fearful men. Now would be a good time for all of us to step up and pull together for the common good.

I don’t know how else to put this, but that article is dangerously uninformed.

A) Where do people get the idea that Y2K was overblown? It was averted only because there was a Herculean effort to address the problem.
This is the thing that bothers me when people say it’s not a big deal and we shouldn’t be cancelling things.

It won’t be a big deal because precautions are being taken that will help stop it. The more preventative measures that happen, the less risk we have. People will complain about the safety measures, the virus won’t spread and then these types will say “see nothing even happened.” It didn’t happen because we helped prevent it!

All we need is some big festival to go on as planned, have thousands get sick... then what? Those same people will probably be very quiet or say “well why didn’t you cancel” after the fact.

there’s a type of person who just has to disagree with anything for whatever reason, to feel more correct, or better about themselves... I don’t know. It happens here with Axe topics too. Just always a disagreement or negative look on anything, yet they flip on a dime if people say the same thing as them. Irritating.

people need to stop traveling. Cruise ship petri dishes need to stop for a while. But because of all this, airline prices are plummeting. The case in hawaii today is causing people to book flights here! Twitter jokes about catching it in Hawaii if they’re gonna catch it anywhere, but chances are they will BRING it here.

this is all so frustrating. People still calling it a hoax too. I don’t understand it.

This is a bummer.

Yes, there's some hysteria going on, but if you take into account that the possibility exists of 2 in 100 of attendee's will die, or worse, contract it and bring it back home across the country, then it makes sense.

Any mass gathering needs to take a timeout while this gets under control.

R

For the last 30 years we've been waiting for a big pandemic. I don't mean it's welcomed, just that we've been warned by the CDC and other medical experts that this isn't a matter of if, but when. And so, here it is.... or hopefully it ends up being a small dose of reality. I'm approaching it as; stay calm, plan for contingencies, and do what the medical experts ask of me (ie: wash hands, avoid airline travel, etc.).

No need to panic, but don't be foolish and not take it seriously. Fortunately, I'm not seeing much panic. Unfortunately some aren't taking it seriously. Here's a realistic scenario I explained to my wife earlier in the week when I urged her to stock up for a 2 to 3 week's worth of necessities: A child at school gets it. The district shuts the school down for 3 weeks and all the families are asked to quarantine themselves at home. That's a real possibility. It's nothing to panic about, but it's certainly something you have to prepare for.

People are confusing preparedness with panic.

People don’t believe there’s a threat and they may be the very ones passing it along by not taking precautions.

People are commenting solely on death rate when catching it at all is bad enough. As mentioned earlier, you may not be 100% if you’re cured from it. Damage can be everlasting.

There’s no need to fear or panic. There is a need to prevent it from spreading.

Stress weakens the immune system, calm tf down folks, eat your vegetables, take your vitamins, wash your hands, if the normal flu season isn't a reason to take extra precaution to preserve your own life this isn't either. Wrap the weak ones up in bubble wrap and ziploc bags, don't take grandma to the mall 👵🏥💁 it's just a bug

2 of the 4 conferences I planned to attend this year have been cancelled. I don’t think it’s panic just erring on the side of extreme caution. And my deductible is $6000... 🤫

Back
Top Bottom