Switching/Relay question

Finnster

Inspired
i am considering a new amp. The amp I’m looking at comes with a 2 button footswitch using a TRS cable.

One button changes the channel and the other turns on the effects loop. The effects loop is defaulted to “off”all the time unless engaged with the footswitch. I know this by testing the amp with just a latching TS switch. It seems odd that the manufacture would design the loop to be defaulted in the off mode.

Since the options on the relay are Ring, Tip, Both or off.....will I be able to use the FX8 to switch channels while leaving the loop always engaged? I would want the loop always on since I would be using 4CM.

My other thought would be to use a TRS y-splitter cable and use both relay 1 and 2 of the FX8. I would prefer to not have to.

Any thoughts?

This should work with only one TRS-Cable. Please take care of the "short-to-sleeve" warning in the manual.

You will be able to switch channels with one TRS cable, no doubt.
You may have to experiment with the loop, because it's not clear how that switching is done.

My Splawn QR head has 2 foot switch inputs on the back for a variety of options...I use one TRS in each and the FX8 can handle all the switching without a problem. Just FYI, and of course YMMV.

What amp are you looking at buying? Do you want t be able to turn off the loop while using the FX8?

Marshall DSL20HR. I don’t need to turn the loop off with the FX8. My concern is that I won’t be able to keep it on since it’s defaulted to always off unless the Marshall 2 button FS is used. I think I could work around it with a Y TRS splitter and run 2 TS cables from the FX8 relay. But I have another idea as well.

Marshall DSL20HR. I don’t need to turn the loop off with the FX8. My concern is that I won’t be able to keep it on since it’s defaulted to always off unless the Marshall 2 button FS is used. I think I could work around it with a Y TRS splitter and run 2 TS cables from the FX8 relay. But I have another idea as well.
Bumping this. I also have a DSL20HR I’m having FX loop switching questions about. Were you ever able to resolve this with the Y TRS splitter or any other method? Thanks !

Last edited:
You need an insert cable. On one relay you choose tip, and on another ring. Then one relay will switch channels, and the other will turn off effects loop.

Back
Top Bottom