Switching guitars - LP to strat etc..

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
I have been mainly an LP and PRS ( custom 22) player. About a year and a half ago, I decided to pick up a strat american standard because I wanted that "strat" tone - plus wanted to expand my guitar collection a bit. For some reason, I cannot seem to gel with it. I find it very difficult to switch between guitars because it takes me so long to get used to the strat. I think my biggest struggle is the distance between the strings. The scale length doesn't bother me so much and I actually find it a little easier to play open chords on because my fingers don't get in the way as much. But man, it seems like ANY kind of lead playing goes right out the window. I find my self missing strings constantly or just plain not picking right because the space between the strings seems so much greater to me than on my LP or PRS. I watch players like Bonamassa switch between strats and LP's all the time during a performance, and I can't figure out what my problem is. Anyone else have an issue like that? I don't want to just give up on it, just wonder if anyone else has issues getting used to a guitar when switching between them. Thanks for any input you may have.

Heh yeah, it'll do that. ANd it may never come, too... but, I can change scales and spacing without issue after tons of hours on both. Now it's seamless to change for me. But, if it's uncomfortable and not happening, it may just be aggravating to try to force it.

I find that if I start the night with my most familiar guitar it's easier to play the others after I'm warmed up.
Tim

Strat is a different beast. No way around it. For me that's part of why it's in the collection. Every guitar I have brings out a different side of me. Crap I thought that 'WAS' our justification for all these guitars....lol.

Hmm I don't feel the string spacing so much between pauls' and strats. more the scale length. now 7 strings mess me up and need an adjustment period.

Strat is a different beast. No way around it. For me that's part of why it's in the collection. Every guitar I have brings out a different side of me. Crap I thought that 'WAS' our justification for all these guitars....lol.

Totally agree - I guess in the end its going to make me a better player - I was having a "moment" yesterday where I almost threw my guitar out the effing window.... reminded myself that everyone has days like this and promptly closed the window...lol

For some reason, I found going to a super strat (dual hum) made for an easier transition.
Prior to the super strat, I had a couple of 3 single coil strats, and they were way too different than my LP's for me to gel with.
I built a parts-caster with dual hums, and it sounded big and beefy (like I was used to with an LP), and my transition/adjustment was much easier. Not sure why...maybe it was more in my head. But I struggled in the past with jumping to a Strat and was able to adjust eventually.

I have no problem going from my Suhr Classic S to my Hamer Studio Custom or my McNaught D series. I've have had that experience before depending on the guitars in question, but as long as the neck are reasonably close in some way I have no issue. I used to think it was strictly a nut width thing. My Suhr and Hamer have the same nut width, but my McNaught is a bit wider and I still have no issue switching to it, so I guess that busts that theory. Or maybe I'm just getting less picky in my advancing age :D
-
Austin

Agree with the Strat being a different beast and not fighting it. I've learned to accept that it won't be my main gigging guitar. If I did want it to be my main guitar, I'd woodshed exclusively with it to get technique down to be able to play it comfortably. It'll happen. But for the majority of what I do, I need my Petrucci.

Agree with the Strat being a different beast and not fighting it. I've learned to accept that it won't be my main gigging guitar. If I did want it to be my main guitar, I'd woodshed exclusively with it to get technique down to be able to play it comfortably. It'll happen. But for the majority of what I do, I need my Petrucci.

Yeah - I think I'm getting to a point where I'm not going to give up on it - but at the same time, I probably won't be using it for any tracks where more difficult or faster playing is required. Back to practicing !

Switching between a 5-string and 4-string bass IS a pain :D
Most switching is just a matter of getting really acquainted with every instrument. I switch between a super-light and slim Parker to a much bigger bodied Hagstrom and I don't even play them at the same height. Different straps, different angles, different strumming... but you get used to it :)

Yeah - I think I'm getting to a point where I'm not going to give up on it - but at the same time, I probably won't be using it for any tracks where more difficult or faster playing is required. Back to practicing !

It's a two way street. I have a handmade strat from my late friend that was a world class luthier. It became my go to guitar and my playing transitioned to 'strat style' playing. It worked perfectly because as I have gotten older I am far more interested in color than speed and strat tones are abundantly colorful. Ergo Hendrix, Vaughn, Clapton's choice of a Strat for their styles.

But my strat is undergoing some electronic surgery and my ESP MH-1000ET became my main fiddle. What a stinking adjustment. My fat little fingers had to relearn a D chord and various other positions to keep from dulling adjacent strings.

Last edited:
It's the 9.5 radius on my 98 Strat Deluxe that pisses me off more than the string spacing - up the squeaky end of the fretboard I just feel it's too high when set to not fret out when bending high E or B ...... I get used to it after a bit but I'm thinking of looking for a more modern compound radius replacement neck ........ if anyone has one (Genuine logo'ed Fender Strat 22 fret 4 bolt 9.5 to 14 radius with micro tilt) let me know

Back
Top Bottom