Switching from Mark IV to Axe-Fx III

When using near field monitors at my desk (Adam A7X), tones are like ear candy.....I still enjoy my tube rig setup with my Mark IV (setup in WDW)....there's just something instantaneouly enjoying with the "feel" and "thump"....love all the gear on any given day!

I gambled, Sold the MK IV combo which I really liked to buy my FM3. I wouldn't go back. For a bedroom player, studio monitors are a great way to go! There is a different sound to the modeler vs amp in the room, Its not a bad thing, just a bit different.

I gambled, Sold the MK IV combo which I really liked to buy my FM3. I wouldn't go back. For a bedroom player, studio monitors are a great way to go! There is a different sound to the modeler vs amp in the room, Its not a bad thing, just a bit different.
Yep, I can be satisfied in multiple schemes....I can pretty much get the same sound out of anything (ok, I can't get a Friedman out of an undriven Twin) which has made me wonder over time the point of so many options which fuels the craziness....to me, lately, it's been more of a "feel" thing...

I'm only familiar with the Mark IV from recordings, live music and stem tracks. I have never played a real one, but what I can say is the Mark IV models n the Axe FX III are my favorite in the unit, which is saying a lot because I love so many models. They give me the sound of a Mark IV I have heard very easily and it feels phenomenal to play. I only play at home, so having a real one doesn't make sense. At this point I wouldn't want one though (unless it was free!) because the Axe is just so damn good. Add the effects, and it is many, many cuts above anything else on the market.

If I get a chance, I will try to post a clip of the Mark IV model sound.

Reactions: J.C
I switched from Mark V to Kemper after I profiled the amp. The tone was 100% there but progressively I preferred someone’s else profiles of that amp, better recreated.
Then the Fractal and here that kind of amp is even better and you can tweak everything as you need.

Anyway for me it was easier because I’m a studio player and I already used the real amp 90% of the time with a Torpedo Live.

You also get the incredible array of tweaking options with the Axe. You can twist knobs for esoteric parameters that I didn’t even know were a thing. You can swap the tubes, change the bright cap, change the whole tone stack, fiddle with the transformer… if you’re interested in modding you could have a lot of fun.

As someone above said, the amp part sounds the same, it’s the cab that might sound different to FRFR. Not worse, just different. I for one love it through FRFR and although I love my old amp, I don’t actually know where it is atm… I guess it’s still in the shed.

I've been a bedroom player with the Axe for many years and tried various configurations to get that amp in the room feel, and what I landed on is this: I use a 3-CH setup with two near-field monitors (Event 3-ways) on monitor stands that provide that great directional high fidelity sound directly to my ears and one Atomic CLR setup on the floor near my guitar that is EQ'd with different IR to provide the thump in the chest feel and non-directional roominess of amp in the room, as well as it helps gets feedback from the guitar (angled towards the guitar, controllable using the separate vol out control). Simple but very effective. You could add a 2nd CLR for 4-CH easily if you have the $ for even better control/effect, but the 3-CH setup works very well to achieve both tone & feel. I would also suggest spending the $ to get the Axe FX III and not the II as it is much better in my opinion having owned both.

I played a Mark IV for over 30 years. Since going with the Axe FX I've since sold the Mark IV with no regrets.
That said if I was still in my 30's or 40's I likely would have kept it.

Thinking about selling my Mesa Boogie Mark IV combo and buying Axe-Fx III. The amp is amazing, no complaints there, just want something more, something less troublesome, that doesn't require regular maintenance, repairs, tubes but that still sounds just as amazing. Have no strong feelings towards tube amps. Tubes or digital, doesn't matter as long as it sounds good. I'm a bedroom player, no gigs or anything. I know, even Mark IV is a huge overkill but I love that sound and had the money so why not.

The problem is I'm not sure it will be worth it and sound just as good. I'm thinking about Axe-Fx III with some good FRFR active speaker. I know you can tone match Mark IV to the point of it being practically indistinguishable on the record but would it feel just as powerful as my Mark IV when I play it myself? Like it really is something when you crank it just a little bit - the tightness and the tone of it is just... I read some people saying that compared to real guitar cab FRFR setup wouldn't have that "room" effect, whatever that is. I could run it through guitar cab but then everything would basically sound like that cab. Kinda defeats the purpose. I would try it myself but shops in my area don't have it in stock and the only way to try it would be to actually buy it from official dealer. Pretty expensive for a blind buy.
Your mark amp sounds like it sounds largely because of the cab it’s in. The cab has a huge effect on what you hear. More than I thought it would.
If you love your Mark then don’t sell it. It’s foolish to buy a piece of gear to replace a piece of gear you love. If you want something that will at minimum come close, plus provide a whole lot more with a tiny fraction of the same maintenance, the AxefxIII is for you. Expect to put some time into it though if you go this route.

Check out Yek's setup in this link:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/home-alone.196507/

He is one of the most experienced on this forum and a great player. It is essentially the same as what I was describing, he's set up for 4-CH using two Adam monitors on stands to the ears and 2 CLRs behind him for thump, room, and feedback feel.

The one thing I will say though is there is a learning curve to using the Axe, although it is much easier to use today than in the past. You will be able to close the gap to your actual amp to a very close degree, there will probably be a small difference, BUT you will gain 10X more by switching to the Axe as you will be able to get great tone at any volume level, you will probably find another 10 amps and cabs you love that offer incredibly diverse tones instead of being one-note, and you can instantly add effects, EQ, lead/clean, etc at the touch of a button or footswitch.

I can only say this: I bought my first Axe-Fx (the Ultra) in 2010. I've had many run-ins with the Axe since then but kept going back to my tube amps. The III brought real change. I really tremendously enjoying playing it thorugh my cheap (but good) studio monitors (Kali LP6s) but ever since I got my Fryette LX II, let me tell you, there's no going back. The Axe through a tube PA and regular guitar cab is everything I've ever wanted to hear. My JP2C is listed for sale right now and I'll sell off everything else I have, too. At this point the Axe has done it for me - killed my amp and pedal GAS and now I'm only interested in guitars and different speakers/cabs.

Thinking about selling my Mesa Boogie Mark IV combo and buying Axe-Fx III. The amp is amazing, no complaints there, just want something more, something less troublesome, that doesn't require regular maintenance, repairs, tubes but that still sounds just as amazing. Have no strong feelings towards tube amps. Tubes or digital, doesn't matter as long as it sounds good. I'm a bedroom player, no gigs or anything. I know, even Mark IV is a huge overkill but I love that sound and had the money so why not.

The problem is I'm not sure it will be worth it and sound just as good. I'm thinking about Axe-Fx III with some good FRFR active speaker. I know you can tone match Mark IV to the point of it being practically indistinguishable on the record but would it feel just as powerful as my Mark IV when I play it myself? Like it really is something when you crank it just a little bit - the tightness and the tone of it is just... I read some people saying that compared to real guitar cab FRFR setup wouldn't have that "room" effect, whatever that is. I could run it through guitar cab but then everything would basically sound like that cab. Kinda defeats the purpose. I would try it myself but shops in my area don't have it in stock and the only way to try it would be to actually buy it from official dealer. Pretty expensive for a blind buy.
I don't have anything that sounds as good as my Mark IV, including the FIVE. That's among Marshall, Fender, and at one point Vox. Axe FX is a bit different overall and to me it's not 1 to 1, so try to keep both for a bit until you are ready to commit.

I bought the AFIII hoping to be able to sell some stuff off but it’s not there for me yet. Clearly it is for plenty of others, though so it’s hard to say how you’ll feel. Just to be on the safe side, you should try one before selling anything.

I have the fm9 but also feel the need to have the real one just for.. Dont know.. So i ve also bought the mark v 25 which is the best conpromise to me for having both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom