Switching from AX8 to Axe-Fx III

lofbele1

My first reaction playing through Axe-Fx III was; "I've must've done something really wrong with AX8 because this sounds so much better".

Axe-Fx III is an amazing product. Not only does it sound better to me than AX8 but *all* problems I had with AX8 are gone. (Now if only they'd add the "two part" noise gate" see here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/integrated-noise-reduction.138509/#post-1642624 ;))

I did uncover some teething problems but no show stoppers.

Understandably Axe-Edit III still beta and some functionality is missing. It also seems to frequently do an internal restart; freeze for a minute and then reread cab blocks. OTOH it does update the actual state of the preset in real-time (well, at the speed of MIDI).

I wasn't immediately able to get MIDI through to work from USB in to DIN out/through but that could be me doing it wrong. Feeding MIDI from BigSky/H9 to Axe-Fx III worked as expected.

I also tried feeding backing tracks from a Mac to In 2 over USB but my quite new Macbook Pro kept dropping the audio device every few seconds. Same happened when I tried to use Axe-Fx III as input to the Mac over USB. I'll just use a mixer until that's fixed.

Can't wait to hear what presets from @fremen, @Moke, @austinbuddy and others sound like on Axe-Fx III.

- lenny

I also upgraded from AX8. The most amazing part is using two amp blocks and mixing multiple cabs. It sounds glorious. I know Axe Fx II can do this too, but I have no experience with the II. Also, the CPU power is a breeze to work with. I can put whatever blocks I want without ever worrying about overloading.

My first reaction playing through Axe-Fx III was; "I've must've done something really wrong with AX8 because this sounds so much better".

Axe-Fx III is an amazing product. Not only does it sound better to me than AX8 but *all* problems I had with AX8 are gone. (Now if only they'd add the "two part" noise gate" see here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/integrated-noise-reduction.138509/#post-1642624 ;))

I did uncover some teething problems but no show stoppers.

Understandably Axe-Edit III still beta and some functionality is missing. It also seems to frequently do an internal restart; freeze for a minute and then reread cab blocks. OTOH it does update the actual state of the preset in real-time (well, at the speed of MIDI).

I wasn't immediately able to get MIDI through to work from USB in to DIN out/through but that could be me doing it wrong. Feeding MIDI from BigSky/H9 to Axe-Fx III worked as expected.

I also tried feeding backing tracks from a Mac to In 2 over USB but my quite new Macbook Pro kept dropping the audio device every few seconds. Same happened when I tried to use Axe-Fx III as input to the Mac over USB. I'll just use a mixer until that's fixed.

Can't wait to hear what presets from @fremen, @Moke, @austinbuddy and others sound like on Axe-Fx III.

- lenny
You are using it as your audio interface or just into the MAC...I use thunderbolt for my audio interface into a UA apollo and my AXE USB into my mac with no drops.

+1 on the OP's comment. I got on the AIII waiting list the day it was announced. While I waited, I bought an AX8 and loved it. When I got my purchase invite for AIII, I actually waited over a week - didn't think I needed it. I was more than happy with the AX8 …. then I saw Camilo Velandia's demo - 'Axe Fx III Marshall Models' and I caved. My plan was to run the AX8 and AIII for a few weeks and keep the one I liked the best. The AX8 was listed the next day.

To my ears and to my hands - there is no comparison in sound and feel. I used to own a II XL but it was sold - I was more interested in collecting boutique tube amps at the time. I'm operating off of memory - and that of course is very misleading - but I don't remember the II XL being nearly as good as the AIII.

I love the routing options of the AIII and I love that fact that I don't really have to worry about CPU limitations. As with AX8, it accepts my favorite drives. Can't wait for the FC-6 to become available.

Oh - - the AX8 is not getting the love.
I got a III, does it sound better, well yeah! I hope so!
Does it feel better yeah, to me there is a huge difference in the feel.

Still love my AX8 still has great sounds especially in the context of a mix were the differences are not noticed as much. Just check out some of @bishop5150 videos with his AX8; killer sounds!
Plus that all in one package, quick and dirty, gotta love it.

But I get it, complex patches can get problematic very quickly as far as CPU. The feel thing, and how it can effect your playing.
But my AX8 is staying! Or at least till there is a AX8-2

I'm operating off of memory - and that of course is very misleading - but I don't remember the II XL being nearly as good as the AIII.

Keep in mind that the II has gone through a lot of FW updates since you previously owned it. Since ~Q6, it's been quite "real". Q9.04 and Q10.01 have been the bee's knees. :)

Keep in mind that the II has gone through a lot of FW updates since you previously owned it. Since ~Q6, it's been quite "real". Q9.04 and Q10.01 have been the bee's knees. :)

Good point. I hadn't considered that. If it is close to the AIII, then they really did make improvements - because the II XL that I had then was nowhere near what I'm getting out of the AIII now.

If I was still gigging, I would have kept my AX8 (for shows) in addition to my AIII for home. Easy to transport and set up - and I would be less uptight about the inevitable beer spittle and jello-shots that my gear was subjected to in the dives I was playing (and that's just from members of my band) Lol !!!

I agree . I sold my Ax8 and i have the AXE FXIII since one month now. I had better sounds with the AX8 ... i only hope FXIII to be in development stage and in the future to get more out of it. I wish i had kept the AX8 because now i'm using my old Boss GT100.. yeah ... with the III i need a midi switch better than i have now and yes i will have to spend more to be able to gig with the FXIII.

I had better sounds with the AX8
wow, i gig with both, and my AX8 still sounds great, but the Axe3 sounds and FEELS way better for sure. did you copy the settings over manually? in all aspects, the 3 really should not sound worse unless the settings aren't the same or set poorly compared to the AX8.

how can you copy presets manualy since I can't load my old presets..?! On Axe Edit III?
ahh you sold your AX8 before you got your Axe3 i believe.

if you have preset backups, you can load your AX8 presets into a program called FracTool. then you can view them and copy things over.

this isn't a Fractal Audio program; a forum member created it. it works and displays things differently, but it is trusted and works well.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractool-the-ultimate-fractal-device-multitool.112538/

Yes exactly. . I'm sure I can recreate my old patches...
I noticed the more time I spend with the Fx3 the better sounds I create. It takes a lot of time for me personally. For example I edited 2 hrs some cool rithm tones and clean tones using studio monitors Yamaha in my studio. Once I plugged todirect FOH speakers It didn't sound the same (bummer). So yes I will either buy some FRFR live monitors like Mission Gemini or similar or just create the sound directly on the monitors I'm using live. I was triyng today a fender Hot Rod clean amp using the return in. And using a real cab (turning of cab simulation) I get results with fx3 ... No doubt the unit is capable. I justneed patience. .
Thank you.

I owned an Axe-FX II for several years, then sold it to buy an AX-8 because I wanted to downsize my rig. That was several years ago. I recently added an Axe-FX III. While I agree the III is an amazing piece of gear and in my home I sense a difference, I question if most people could tell any difference in a typical gig situation. The AX-8 is awesome for portability, convenience and price. If you want even more, get the III.

I’d wager 99% of people at a typical gig wouldn’t notice if you played through an original POD.

The other 1% couldn’t tell you any songs you played but they know exactly what’s on your pedal board and in your rack, along with the typical reverb prices, and suggestions that would sound “better” lol.

The AxeIII sounds and feels better. There's no doubt about that. But I'm leaning towards parting with my AxeIII. The all-in-one convince of the AX8 is winning out for me. I just can't see going back to a rack and separate controller setup. Still debating... The CPU power and the potential of what future updates will bring to the AxeIII are the primary reasons I'm still holding on to it. But I don't think I will ever use it live, and that's an expensive piece of gear to have sitting around largely unused...

The AxeIII sounds and feels better. There's no doubt about that. But I'm leaning towards parting with my AxeIII. The all-in-one convince of the AX8 is winning out for me. I just can't see going back to a rack and separate controller setup. Still debating... The CPU power and the potential of what future updates will bring to the AxeIII are the primary reasons I'm still holding on to it. But I don't think I will ever use it live, and that's an expensive piece of gear to have sitting around largely unused...

I get what you're saying. I rarely play gigs anymore , but I still write music , so my III is safe in the studio. ( for now ).
I feel like a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest , trying to use the III without a footcontroller though.
I'll grab my AX8 for the little stuff. If a new version of the AX8 comes out ; that uses the new III platform , I'll be on it too. I love this company and their commitment to excellence so much , I see myself owning whatever they're making.
With the cost of guitars and amps being what it is , these units are a steal.
I need to play my AX8 again. I haven't been able to stop using my III long enough to do so.

I think the extra CPU is going to be awesome for new amp models to come. I do believe they also updated some amps to leverage the new CPU which should provide more detail.

Yes, I think you are right. From the very first chord on the AxeIII I could tell that it was already superior to the AX8 in its first release. This was not the case when I went from the AxeFX to the AxeII. In fact, I thought it took a couple years brfore the AxeII firmware clearly sounded better than the AxeFX.

It’s really a matter of convenience for me. If the AxeIII technology ever makes it to a floor unit, that will be my first choice. Time will tell. In the mean time, I have decided to hold on to the AxeIII. It’s just too good to part with. I’ll have to make a decision when the FC comes out whether I want to move to the AxeIII in place of the AX8... first world problems.

Back
Top Bottom