Switching between standalone FM3 and FM3+FC6 problem

ElectricPhase

Fractal Fanatic
I have two distinct use cases for my FM3: 1. Standalone FM3 (easy transport/setup for jamming, rehearsals, etc.) and 2. FM3+FC6+expression pedals (full rig for gigs). This modularity should be one of the FM3's biggest strengths, but in practice I'm running into a roadblock with preset switching.

I've created a single STANDALONE layout with four views that works perfectly for the FM3 by itself, and I'm using a slightly modified OMG9 set of layouts for the full rig. I've set the FM3 to load the MLM on startup, which I've programmed with only two options: OMG9 and STANDALONE. When I asked earlier, I was told that I have to set the bank size manually to make this work....so my process is switch on the FM3, set bank size, and then select the matching MLM option.

The problem is that when I return to the STANDALONE setup and change the bank size to 3 after using the OMG setup with a bank size of 6, the Upper Limit fields on the Bank Inc/Dec switches have been changed in all the layouts. Thus, the preset area that I use for my gig presets ( above 399) becomes inaccessible since it's now out of range. Trying to use the bank select switches takes me to the first bank of factory presets.

I can't think of a way around this....any ideas?

Upper limit has to be changed along with bank size to get to the same number of presets. For example, if your bank size is 6 and your upper limit is set to 10, then you can get to 60 presets (10 banks x 6 presets = 60 total). If you lower your bank size to 3 and leave the upper limit at 10, you can now only get to 30 presets because you now have only 3 presets in each bank (10 banks x 3 presets = 30 total). You'd have change your upper limit to 20 to reach that same block of 60 presets (20 banks x 3 presets = 60 total). The same applies for whatever number of presets you are trying to access. Total number of presets you want to access divided by the bank size will give you the upper limit setting you need.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that. The problem is that every time I want to change use cases, I have to change multiple fields (bank size, and every bank inc/dec field in all layouts).

I've resigned myself to sticking with a bank size of 6 and paging, but that's a kludge. I hope something more elegant comes along....

let's say you have a Bank Size of 6.

then you have switches set to "Select Preset in Bank" and have switches set for "Preset 4 in Bank", 5 and 6.

if you change the Bank Size to 3, those 4, 5, and 6 switches will automatically change to "3" as well, since there are no longer any Preset 4 in bank, Preset 5 in bank, etc. it makes sense.

but then when changing Bank Size back to something higher like 6 again, those switches don't automatically change back to 4, 5, and 6. they don't "remember" what they were set to at some previous time.

it seems that Upper Limit fields in Change Bank switches also have a similar behavior, as you've mentioned. (i personally didn't figure that one out yet.)

i think this is just a limitation of the system. if you change Bank Size to a lower number, you're essentially "getting rid of" the possibility of those higher numbers, so they automatically change to the largest number available (in this case it changes to 3).

i mentioned this to the developers during testing, but i'm not sure what a solution could be. this behavior happens on both the FM3 and Axe3, and again it makes sense from a technical standpoint. to solve this, somehow the switches would have to remember any higher number that they were set to at any time in the past, which may not be possible.

might just have to adopt another workflow for changing between the 2 setups, or manually adjust these switches. maybe you could export the Layouts using Edit while the Bank Size is large, and load them after you change Bank Size to be larger?

yeah it's a pain to have to change each bank switch separately. A global option would be nice. You could try moving the Factory presets and put your gig presets in the lower slots as a workaround.

yeah it's a pain to have to change each bank switch separately. A global option would be nice. You could try moving the Factory presets and put your gig presets in the lower slots as a workaround.
That was the other option. :)

For now I've gone 'all in' with the paging concept. I think it will work pretty well, as long as arrange my important presets intelligently.

I have two distinct use cases for my FM3: 1. Standalone FM3 (easy transport/setup for jamming, rehearsals, etc.) and 2. FM3+FC6+expression pedals (full rig for gigs). This modularity should be one of the FM3's biggest strengths, but in practice I'm running into a roadblock with preset switching.

I've created a single STANDALONE layout with four views that works perfectly for the FM3 by itself, and I'm using a slightly modified OMG9 set of layouts for the full rig. I've set the FM3 to load the MLM on startup, which I've programmed with only two options: OMG9 and STANDALONE. When I asked earlier, I was told that I have to set the bank size manually to make this work....so my process is switch on the FM3, set bank size, and then select the matching MLM option.

The problem is that when I return to the STANDALONE setup and change the bank size to 3 after using the OMG setup with a bank size of 6, the Upper Limit fields on the Bank Inc/Dec switches have been changed in all the layouts. Thus, the preset area that I use for my gig presets ( above 399) becomes inaccessible since it's now out of range. Trying to use the bank select switches takes me to the first bank of factory presets.

I can't think of a way around this....any ideas?
May I please ask you how did you create that standalone layout? I am just frustrated with how the FC6 confused everything the first time i tried the OMG9 layout :(

May I please ask you how did you create that standalone layout? I am just frustrated with how the FC6 confused everything the first time i tried the OMG9 layout :(
Sorry, I have to punt. I'm in the middle of moving and all my stuff is packed.

My setup changed a lot since June. My current approach is very different from OMG9. I still have a standalone layout and anFC6 layout though, both with a bank size of 6. I'll be happy to post and explain after the move is done, but as it stands that feels like it will be a lifetime from now.

but then when changing Bank Size back to something higher like 6 again, those switches don't automatically change back to 4, 5, and 6. they don't "remember" what they were set to at some previous time.
It would be cool if it could do modulo division of the 'Preset in bank' value by the bank size, so 4, 5, and 6 would become a second 1, 2, and 3 and the system would not have to reset them all to 3. Then you could then set the bank size back to 6 and they would resume being 4, 5, and 6 as if by magic....

Just a thought....

Resurrecting this thread. Anyone come up with an easy way to switch on the fly from FM3 to FM3+FC6? As the OP said, I also like using the FC6 at home but for gigging/practices I just use the FM3. Would be nice to find an easy way to go back and forth. Thanks.

You could maybe configure it for each setup the way you want and then create a system backup for each configuration. You can then load the backup file for the config you want to use from Fractal Bot. That should swap out the layouts and FC settings for you pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom