Switching between monitors and guitar cabinets

stereotactic

Experienced
Hello, I'm wondering about any differences people experience switching between different types of amplification. If you craft your tone on monitors then go to a rehearsal or gig and are using a tube amp with conventional guitar cabs, do you find the amp block settings still sound good with power amp and cab blocks off? Or do you have to further tweak the amp block settings in a live/rehearsal situation with a tube power amp and a 4x12 to get a good sound comparable to the monitors with full modeling?

I have all three possible Axe 3 setups I can listen to depending: into monitors, Matrix into 4x12's and straight into Mesa 2/90's into 4x12's. So far, I have not felt the need to adjust my amp block settings as I move from system to system, but I am considering buying nicer, bigger monitors and want to know if crafting my tone on good monitors will make it harder for that tone to translate to say the lowest resolution option of the Axe into a tube amp and 4x12.

Any firsthand experience with these 3 different situations and how amp block settings translate from quality monitors to the other options? Thanks!

Last edited:
Depends on the tones, depends on how colored your cabinet is vs the cab IR’s you like to run etc. It can be a big difference, or it can sound fine, just depends.

Axe can handle all the options easily enough, but personally, I found no more need to deal with heavy tube power amps, heavy cabinets etc. Went 100% monitor and it’s just a lot less gear to mess with, and certainly alleviates concerns over how it will translate.

Tones I get from my studio monitors sound same as my CLR, and those translate to a good PA equally well.

Fewer variables the better, IMO

Depends on the tones, depends on how colored your cabinet is vs the cab IR’s you like to run etc. It can be a big difference, or it can sound fine, just depends.

Axe can handle all the options easily enough, but personally, I found no more need to deal with heavy tube power amps, heavy cabinets etc. Went 100% monitor and it’s just a lot less gear to mess with, and certainly alleviates concerns over how it will translate.

Tones I get from my studio monitors sound same as my CLR, and those translate to a good PA equally well.

Fewer variables the better, IMO

Thanks for the detailed reply, tone wise, I have two basic sounds one is very clean one is very heavy overdrive. My 4x12's are loaded with Eminence Delta Pro 12As ported and tuned for them, so minimal coloring with the Matrix. The Axe is such a game changer that I am having to slowly adapt my rig to it, given the learning curve and that current market amp/speaker options seem limited mostly to stage monitoring, which makes sense for bands bigger than 3/4 people, or in big rooms where the PA is crucial and loud stage sound is unwelcome. The lack of options for FRFR backline similar in output to my very efficient/loud 4x12's is vexing. But being able to work on my sound at home with a good pair of monitors is a fantastic improvement, both in terms of preparing for recording and to keep me from having to live in my rehearsal space ever again..:)

Hello, I'm wondering about any differences people experience switching between different types of amplification. If you craft your tone on monitors then go to a rehearsal or gig and are using a tube amp with conventional guitar cabs, do you find the amp block settings still sound good with power amp and cab blocks off? Or do you have to further tweak the amp block settings in a live/rehearsal situation with a tube power amp and a 4x12 to get a good sound comparable to the monitors with full modeling?

I have all three possible Axe 3 setups I can listen to depending: into monitors, Matrix into 4x12's and straight into Mesa 2/90's into 4x12's. So far, I have not felt the need to adjust my amp block settings as I move from system to system, but I am considering buying nicer, bigger monitors and want to know if crafting my tone on good monitors will make it harder for that tone to translate to say the lowest resolution option of the Axe into a tube amp and 4x12.

Any firsthand experience with these 3 different situations and how amp block settings translate from quality monitors to the other options? Thanks!
I usually have had good luck with this. We typically run our own sound and go direct into the board. But there are a few places we play where the club has their own sound man and system. In these venues we will bring amps and have them mic'd into the board. I haven't done it yet with the AXE3 but have with the AX8 quite a few times in the past. I just copied the patches, disabled cab modeling, and ran into the effects loop of a EVH 5150 3 with a 4x12 Egnater cab. Sounded great every time.

I usually have had good luck with this. We typically run our own sound and go direct into the board. But there are a few places we play where the club has their own sound man and system. In these venues we will bring amps and have them mic'd into the board. I haven't done it yet with the AXE3 but have with the AX8 quite a few times in the past. I just copied the patches, disabled cab modeling, and ran into the effects loop of a EVH 5150 3 with a 4x12 Egnater cab. Sounded great every time.

Good to know, thanks for the detailed info!

I use an EQ block at the end of my chain, right before the output block. That way I can adjust the EQ on the fly, if the monitors are too harsh or boomy.

I am not at all a fan of using the Axe III without the IRs. They just sound fabulous through a great FRFR monitor and direct. I literally just got the new ASM-10 from Friedman delivered to me on Friday and it is amazing with the Axe III. I've never been happier with a modelling setup.

Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a global amp/cab bypass. That way, if your in a real amp gig, all you gotta do is bypass global, so all your numbered presets stay the same, rather than having to create a whole new set of presets without an amp/can signal. Just push a button. Done.

Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a global amp/cab bypass. That way, if your in a real amp gig, all you gotta do is bypass global, so all your numbered presets stay the same, rather than having to create a whole new set of presets without an amp/can signal. Just push a button. Done.

There is, home screen in the "setup" menu, "global settings"..:)

I am not at all a fan of using the Axe III without the IRs. They just sound fabulous through a great FRFR monitor and direct. I literally just got the new ASM-10 from Friedman delivered to me on Friday and it is amazing with the Axe III. I've never been happier with a modelling setup.

Understood, but this is not practical for me as I don't want to give up my 2 backline 4x12 cabinets. My main band is a loud, instrumental 3pc and finding an FRFR backline alternative is proving to be a challenge. Options are limited and whatever way I go, it will be expensive.

There is, home screen in the "setup" menu, "global settings"..:)

Oh hell yes, that just opened the flood gates. I have two different set ups. One with flat speakers I use in a perminant set up, and then I have a couple fav Vox and Fender amps I gig with without hauling my flat response around. I was wondering how I was gunna have to create a whole new set of presets. Thanks, SOO cool!

I switch between FRFR and power amp/cab all the time*, and use the same presets/Amp block settings without adjustments. Matter of choosing a suitable IR. And not enabling Speaker Comp.

* To fill a room, I still prefer a traditional cab over an FRFR monitor.

I switch between FRFR and power amp/cab all the time*, and use the same presets/Amp block settings without adjustments. Matter of choosing a suitable IR. And not enabling Speaker Comp.

* To fill a room, I still prefer a traditional cab over an FRFR monitor.

All good to know, given your level of experience, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom