Switching between amps

andyp13

Power User
Hope someone can help, It was suggested to me that I try using two amps (rather than the X/Y) for switching between clean & Solo by muting the overdrive Amp in Scene one (clean amp on thru) then setting it to Thru on scene two and muting the Clean amp.

How can I do this as the Mute and Thru does not save with the scenes?

Hope someone can help, It was suggested to me that I try using two amps (rather than the X/Y) for switching between clean & Solo by muting the overdrive Amp in Scene one (clean amp on thru) then setting it to Thru on scene two and muting the Clean amp.

How can I do this as the Mute and Thru does not save with the scenes?

You just bypass the amp block in the scene in question and then save the preset. Just make sure the amp blocks both have the bypass type set to mute. If you have it set to thru, then when you bypass the amp, the the guitar signal will still pass through to the next block in the chain which is not what you want. So you aren't changing the bypass type in the scenes (that is always set to mute) you are changing the bypass state (bypassed or active)
-
Austin

Another option could be what Cooper Carter shows in this tutorial video:

Live Blending Clean and Lead Tone in the Axe Fx II

Brilliant, thanks guys - I have just finished an unsuccessful mess about - l could not get the amps to sound better than the Exotic AC drive block, the AC has a lovely fat warm tone to it and all the amps seem to sound flubby and fizzy - I am looking for a good overdrive sound not a thrash metal sound (which all the amps seem to be) mind after reading some of your replys I realised I had left both amps on thru not mute - so I will have one more go at it.

Andy, a variation on the themes discussed in this thread and the other thread...

Use the AC Booster + Amp as you do now. Put a filter block after the amp. Set up scene 1 to be amp only, with Filter and AC bypassed. Setup scene 2 to have all 3 blocks active. Use the Filter to boost the volume of the preset by increasing the output level on the filter. If you find you need to, put an expression pedal on the filter block output level with its minimum set to normal volume, and maximum adding 5db volume boost as suggested in the other thread.

Now you hit one switch and it kicks in the AC booster and increases the output level via the Filter, you can fine tune the output level of the Filter with your expression pedal.

Andy, a variation on the themes discussed in this thread and the other thread...

Use the AC Booster + Amp as you do now. Put a filter block after the amp. Set up scene 1 to be amp only, with Filter and AC bypassed. Setup scene 2 to have all 3 blocks active. Use the Filter to boost the volume of the preset by increasing the output level on the filter. If you find you need to, put an expression pedal on the filter block output level with its minimum set to normal volume, and maximum adding 5db volume boost as suggested in the other thread.

Now you hit one switch and it kicks in the AC booster and increases the output level via the Filter, you can fine tune the output level of the Filter with your expression pedal.

I do this already except I use a volume block instead of a filter... Does using a filter block make any difference?

I suppose you could do with a volume block but you'd want to set the expression to control the output level rather than the volume if you are trying to add more level. Hence the filter block being recommended as a simpler option as it uses so little cpu.

When I read your original thread it seemed you were adjusting the level of the AC booster before the amp rather than the output level after the amp, and that was why both the gain and the output level of your solos were inconsistent. If you've moved on from this, apologies for the confusion.

I suppose you could do with a volume block but you'd want to set the expression to control the output level rather than the volume if you are trying to add more level. Hence the filter block being recommended as a simpler option as it uses so little cpu.

When I read your original thread it seemed you were adjusting the level of the AC booster before the amp rather than the output level after the amp, and that was why both the gain and the output level of your solos were inconsistent. If you've moved on from this, apologies for the confusion.

Hi, yes I was originally adjusting the level of the overdrive which was before the amp, I now have the volume block after the amp but it's still inconsistant, sometimes I have quite a nice 'spongy' sound and other times it's slightly too clean?

I don't really understand why it would sound more or less clean if all you are changing is the overall output level of the preset by a couple of DB. Changing the output level after the amp won't impact how gainy the amp is and how it interacts to the OD before it.

I don't really understand why it would sound more or less clean if all you are changing is the overall output level of the preset by a couple of DB. Changing the output level after the amp won't impact how gainy the amp is and how it interacts to the OD before it.

That is what I thought and the reason why I put the vol after the amp block, but as I say it's very inconsistent

Back
Top Bottom