Switched from Helix to Axe Fx III

Sort of. The big difference is that snapshot implementation in Helix is much easier to think about and faster to configure. And is totally gapless when switching all parameters. Fractal has audio pops when changing amp models across channels.

But yes, you can alter things this way to achieve a wide variety of tones and options. It’s just done “differently”.

What I want to be able to do is to get my main sound on screen 1. Then, select scene two and just change all the parameters directly in the UI if the editor. Scene 3, same thing. So on and so forth.
That's not how scenes work in Fractal-land though.

Whether the amp and cabinet simulations are better on the FM9 is somewhat subjective
Kinda. Whether you like the sound is subjective. Whether it’s accurate to the original used as a reference can be measured, and is, when Cliff makes the model, making it objective.

But that leads to the discussion of why two instances of the same amp brand and model and production run can sound different, and the difference between his hand-picked reference and someone else’s amp.

I actually just got back home, so haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but even mentioning I'm a beta tester is against the conditions of being a beta tester (as is putting it in a signature), telling what's in the update would really be crossing the line.

If I send you a direct message later, it'll probably be completely unrelated. ;-)
Sounds fair enough to me, send me that direct message then lol

This is why I passed on the Helix and took a chance on the AX8. Wasn't going to spend that much money for a device that reminded me of why I stopped using another product 3 generations older.
I agree that out of the box, Helix does tend to give some undesirable sound characteristics, mainly in the high gain. As I've got better at dialling tones in, I've discovered how to achieve excellent high gain tones, which probably explains how some youtubers appear to be able to get almost identical patches out of Helix against Fractal.

I do believe the fractal devices are better straight out of the box though, and I still think they have the edge on sound quality which is why so many people go from Helix to Fractal. Helix is so super easy to use though, which is in it's favour of course.

Is that still the case even now.. even on an FM9? How have they not managed to make that gapless and noiseless like the Helix?
It is still a thing yes. Others here will explain it is not an issue at all, or not really heard in a band situation, or real amps have gaps. But yea… the gap is there.

Is that still the case even now.. even on an FM9? How have they not managed to make that gapless and noiseless like the Helix?
AFAIK, you can do gapless since some time(?), but it's a little restrictive and you have to put the amps in series in the layout and switch between them. Beware, I am going by what I've read and one demo vid.
Using a panning pedal I think is also considered gapless, but you have to do the sweep of course.
All of this is about switching amps inside a preset. Switching presets may indeed have gaps...
Furthermore, they are different beasts and I think if we would really understand the problem, we would understand the problem... ;)

Last edited:
I agree that out of the box, Helix does tend to give some undesirable sound characteristics, mainly in the high gain. As I've got better at dialling tones in, I've discovered how to achieve excellent high gain tones, which probably explains how some youtubers appear to be able to get almost identical patches out of Helix against Fractal.

I do believe the fractal devices are better straight out of the box though, and I still think they have the edge on sound quality which is why so many people go from Helix to Fractal. Helix is so super easy to use though, which is in it's favour of course.
I'm glad it works for you and I'm not debating if it's possible to get a good sound out of the Helix. I simply wasn't going to spend the money on a product hoping I could get a good tone, especially when it reminded me of the XT and X3 line. I've had the opportunity to use a Helix couple of times and spend some time with the HX Stomp. Neither made me question or regret my decision to go with Fractal.

Use whichever device allows you to get the tones you want to hear. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

The new IR module with mic placement in Helix 3.5 looks cool. Haven’t heard it and barely seen it but at a glance it looks nice. Would be cool for Axe Edit too 😎

The new IR module with mic placement in Helix 3.5 looks cool. Haven’t heard it and barely seen it but at a glance it looks nice. Would be cool for Axe Edit too 😎
After that appeared in the Line6 Metallurgy modelers, I think it was assumed it would be in the next Helix update. Considering the QC has had that for a while, this type of cabinet UI is getting close to the point where it's expected in a modeler now.

After that appeared in the Line6 Metallurgy modelers, I think it was assumed it would be in the next Helix update. Considering the QC has had that for a while, this type of cabinet UI is getting close to the point where it's expected in a modeler now.
This is the single best update FAS can make to the product line, IMO.

I really like both. But I prefer the amps on the Axe by a small amount. I prefer the experience of the Helix, and some of the effects are genuinely better IMHO.

Well worth having both for me!
Sorry to Necro but I couldn't agree more. I like the factory presets and the "feel"/sound more in my Axe FX3. The Helix took so damn long to get it dialed in to- what- became my go-to presets...that I couldn't dream of selling my hard work away though lol Sometimes having less to work with makes one more creative though. Helix amp blocks are so barren compared to the AFX3..but with some patience and my ears, a little pre/post/ parametric EQ/impulse responses/high/ low cuts really paid off!

Just updated my Helix LT to the latest firmware and played a bit with it. There was some improvement but there is still no way to get the high gain tones to sound good. With low volume you can get quite promising results but the truth is embarassingly revealed when you turn the volume up. After trying the Helix for a bit I switched back to my Axe FX3 and it was clear that the Helix is going back to gathering dust :D I should sell it but have been too lazy.

Just updated my Helix LT to the latest firmware and played a bit with it. There was some improvement but there is still no way to get the high gain tones to sound good. With low volume you can get quite promising results but the truth is embarassingly revealed when you turn the volume up. After trying the Helix for a bit I switched back to my Axe FX3 and it was clear that the Helix is going back to gathering dust :D I should sell it but have been too lazy.
Halfway agreed. I can get great high gain tones from my Helix Lt .but at a cost. I have 3 dozen user made high gain presets, but the pattern is usually this: "ok let's get an overdrive in front. Hit it with a pre-eq. Hit it with a post EQ. Combine parametric with graphic. Let's tame that high/low end in the cab block. I got may AxeFx3 mk 2 almost 3 weeks ago. 90% of the stock high gain presets are nearly on point from the get go. Not ALL of them mind you, there is still some that Flub/fizz/need tweaking in the AxeFx3, but not nearly to the surgical degree that most helix amps do. I am fortunate.. because I happen to love tweaking/Eq because I'm an audiophile tone nerd. But most people want great tones with minimal dickery. I spend more time PLAYING my axe fx 3 than tweaking. Many amps sound heavy as heck without an overdrive in front ( 5150 3 with just a bump in input trim and 6.5 db boost in 1000k pre EQ... CRUSHING lol) I WAS going to sell my Helix Lt..but that's just it. It took me HOURS to build a few dozen quality presets. I'm not going to sell all that hard work away. They are almost on par with Fractal..I mean I can get my Helix literally identical. But there is a certain fidelity and organic "chewy plink plink-i ness" that Fractal just blows helix away on.. especially on low end and palm mutes. Whether that has to to with that whole "Cygnus" thing, or just placebo fooling me..who knows. I totally get why lots of people don't want to spend hours tweaking the helix... to get it on par with what fractals do right out the gate (for the most part)

You need to make the presets at the high volume. Fletcher-Munson curve. This is true regardless for any gear where you're going to be using it at a different volume later.

You need to make the presets at the high volume. Fletcher-Munson curve. This is true regardless for any gear where you're going to be using it at a different volume later.
This too. 100 on the money agreed.I should have touched on that also, but you just said it for me.

Oddly enough they're both Boss pedals. One is the OC-5 octave pedal. The reason I like it is because you can adjust what frequency it starts at. I have it set for the lowest 3 strings. EAD. If there is a way to do that in the AxeFx III I don't know how. The other is the Boss RC-500 looper. I know the AxeFx III has a great looper, it's just not long enough.
I know I'm super late and the discussion has turned in a different direction, but you can achieve something like the OC-5 setting on the Axe Fx 3 with the pitch modifier. I can't post the direct link since I have been a lurker for too long and haven't posted enough yet, but if you search for "5 minute tones - The Pitch Modifier" by Leon Todd, he does the same thing (he applied it to delay and gain but it could be applied to the pitch block jist as effectively - I have done so on a few of my specific patches with great effect). It's probably a bit more tedious than on the Boss (as it's designed to cover more different use cases and is therefore more complicated), but it can be done.

Pretty much the story of every L6 amp I owned (with the exception of the OG AX212 back in high school).

I desperately wanted to like the L6 amps and could never get anything usable out of them.
Also, the AX212 was a supreme amp for it's time, I still keep mine for sentimental reasons (has been my main soundbox for a decade and a half before I finally upgraded to the AXE FX3), though it has been gathering dust ever since I went Fractal, but I love that one to bits...

Back
Top Bottom