Switched from Helix to Axe Fx III

My number hasn't come up on the wait list, yet, so I'm still using my Helix. As a Helix user, were you a big user of snapshots? And if so, how do you feel the Fractal system of scenes compares? I feel like snapshots are the best part of the Helix, and I feel like I have to be ready to have something that doesn't function in quite the same way in order to have that extra 5% amp sound and feel that fractal users are always talking about - a sacrifice that I'm prepared to make.
Whether the amp and cabinet simulations are better on the FM9 is somewhat subjective, but it can make the Helix intolerable for one person and usable for another. If you're happy with the sound of Helix I don't see the need to change. If you feel like something is missing from the amp simulations in Helix, that 5% might be what you're looking for.

Reactions: rog
Whether the amp and cabinet simulations are better on the FM9 is somewhat subjective, but it can make the Helix intolerable for one person and usable for another. If you're happy with the sound of Helix I don't see the need to change. If you feel like something is missing from the amp simulations in Helix, that 5% might be what you're looking for.
Truthfully, I just want to try something new. If I'm as happy with the FM9 as I am with the Helix, I'll stay with it until I want to try something else. If I'm not, I'm betting it'll be pretty easy to sell.

Personally, I liked the Helix at first, but the Axe responds more organically IMO. It's not a subtle difference.

Helix snapshots are easier to get your head around initially than Fractal's scenes which load channels model, and you don't need a second copy of a block to get more than 4 block variations in a preset. However, channels are perfect if you DO want to reuse a block's settings in another scene, which for me is pretty common, more so than wanting 8 variations of anything except the amp block, and maybe drives to match.

Truthfully, I just want to try something new. If I'm as happy with the FM9 as I am with the Helix, I'll stay with it until I want to try something else. If I'm not, I'm betting it'll be pretty easy to sell.
I'm sure you'll be happy as I am, but be patient. the first week i wanted to throw the FM9 in the trash. Going from Helix user interface to FM9 is hard but once you get used to it you will enjoy FM9.

Reactions: rog
My number hasn't come up on the wait list, yet, so I'm still using my Helix. As a Helix user, were you a big user of snapshots? And if so, how do you feel the Fractal system of scenes compares? I feel like snapshots are the best part of the Helix, and I feel like I have to be ready to have something that doesn't function in quite the same way in order to have that extra 5% amp sound and feel that fractal users are always talking about - a sacrifice that I'm prepared to make.
Strictly speaking, scenes are not analogous to snapshots, but scene controllers are. The user interface for scene controllers is not as intuitive as snapshots and you have fewer parameters you can control, but otherwise they're equivalent.

Strictly speaking, scenes are not analogous to snapshots, but scene controllers are. The user interface for scene controllers is not as intuitive as snapshots and you have fewer parameters you can control, but otherwise they're equivalent.
hello. I did not know of the existence of scene controller, from what I saw only 4 can be used per preset, any advice for its use?

I'm looking forward to learning about all of this stuff...hopefully Cooper Carter's course is out before I get mine, and it goes over stuff like this.

I’m also a Helix to Axe FX 3 convert. I won’t bash the Helix or say you can’t get good sounds out of it. I will say I couldn’t get good sounds out of it, or maybe I couldn’t get great sounds out of it? The point is I was never satisfied, always chasing. With Axe FX3 I tweak because it‘s fun, I do it to see what else I can get. I’m totally happy with the tones I have set up for live use. Once in awhile I’ll slide newly created tones into my live patches but I don’t think it’s because they are better I think it’s because they are new. Oh and for recording direct.….too good. They sound like real guitar tracks in the mix, they just breath. Much better than any plugs or modellers I have used for recording in the past. The truth is these days there are a lot of good modelling options out there but Fractal just has some secret sauce that makes it sound more authentic. As finicky as guitar players are about tone, being 2% better than the competition in terms of tech could make you 2X better overall.

I’m also a Helix to Axe FX 3 convert. I won’t bash the Helix or say you can’t get good sounds out of it. I will say I couldn’t get good sounds out of it, or maybe I couldn’t get great sounds out of it? The point is I was never satisfied, always chasing. With Axe FX3 I tweak because it‘s fun, I do it to see what else I can get. I’m totally happy with the tones I have set up for live use. Once in awhile I’ll slide newly created tones into my live patches but I don’t think it’s because they are better I think it’s because they are new. Oh and for recording direct.….too good. They sound like real guitar tracks in the mix, they just breath. Much better than any plugs or modellers I have used for recording in the past. The truth is these days there are a lot of good modelling options out there but Fractal just has some secret sauce that makes it sound more authentic. As finicky as guitar players are about tone, being 2% better than the competition in terms of tech could make you 2X better overall.
I approve this message!

Yeah, that was my understanding, but wanted to get the opinion of someone who very recently used the Helix. Hope it's worth it, for both of our sakes!
Helix is due a big update soon, supposedly a game changer. That will be the time to make the comparison. Someone said the Helix is at the end of its life cycle, it isn't. There are no imminent plans for a Helix 2 yet, just improvements.

I feel like if fm9 had snapshots added, that would be irresistible, but if Helix had better cabs or just improvements to some of the amp sims, that would be enough to not change to fractal. Once this update is launched, it will be interesting to see how the Helix is comparing to the fm9

Helix is due a big update soon, supposedly a game changer. That will be the time to make the comparison. Someone said the Helix is at the end of its life cycle, it isn't. There are no imminent plans for a Helix 2 yet, just improvements.

I feel like if fm9 had snapshots added, that would be irresistible, but if Helix had better cabs or just improvements to some of the amp sims, that would be enough to not change to fractal. Once this update is launched, it will be interesting to see how the Helix is comparing to the fm9
Criticizing the Helix because of its cabs is a little goofy, given all the third-party IRs out there. Amp sims, well

Criticizing the Helix because of its cabs is a little goofy, given all the third-party IRs out there. Amp sims, well
Maybe, maybe not. Helix is the only unit out there that you just about need to resort to third party IRs to bring it up to speed with the competition. It’s like buying a sports car with bias ply tires on it from the factory.

I feel like if fm9 had snapshots added, that would be irresistible,
As I mentioned above, it already does. But I think this illustrates the point that there is a problem with the way this feature is presented on the Axe-FX compared to the Helix. It's obvious the Helix has this feature, but on the Axe-FX it's hidden in the controllers.

As I mentioned above, it already does. But I think this illustrates the point that there is a problem with the way this feature is presented on the Axe-FX compared to the Helix. It's obvious the Helix has this feature, but on the Axe-FX it's hidden in the controllers.
I don't think Scene controllers are really comparable to snapshots. There are only 4 scene controllers - its much more limited in scope compared to the flexibility of snapshots (in the fact that are more snapshots you can implement on helix, and its generally MUCH easier to actually setup) It's kind of similar, but ...not the same IMO

I don't think Scene controllers are really comparable to snapshots. There are only 4 scene controllers - its much more limited in scope compared to the flexibility of snapshots (in the fact that are more snapshots you can implement on helix, and its generally MUCH easier to actually setup) It's kind of similar, but ...not the same IMO
As I mentioned above, the Axe-FX has a different user interface (with pros and cons) and fewer parameters. Otherwise, it's more than comparable...it's the same thing. However, because of the way it's presented, very few people recognize that the Axe-Fx has this feature.

I see so many talented people getting so many great sounds out of so many great pieces of gear.

I have an Axe 3 (and 2, and Ultra so I'm committed to the ecosystem) and I attribute any less-than-stellar sounds to my lack of ability. But I keep trying. As should anyone who has access to any of the modern wonders of guitar tech.

When I was 20, I had a Crate G60. I had an excuse for shitty tone.

That reminds me - I'm a beta tester for Line 6; I need to make a to do list note to install 3.55 when I get home (I'm on holiday right now).

Back
Top Bottom