Switch to Acoustic on the Fly

Al C

I know it's been asked before, but I need very basic guidance on how to do this quickly, as I will have less that 10 mins to set this up before rehearsal with gig immediately following. Set list is all electric, but a couple of acoustic songs in the middle, so I need to switch guitars, electric to acoustic, then back to electric. I'm OK setting up a quick acoustic preset quickly, but have not switched guitars on the fly with AXE-FX before. Short of using an A/B box, is it as simple as plugging the acoustic into input 2 on the back, turn guitar vol pot on down on electric, then pick up acoustic, turn up volume on acoustic (on guitar, not AXE) and play? Note I will not have access to AXE-FX during the set, so I cannot adjust vol out 1 and 2 during the set. Just want to swtich guitars, and go to acoustic preset on the MFC. What is simpliest and quickest way to do this? I can set up something more complicated later.

Another way is by using the fx-block:
Electric guitar goes in the front input
Acoustic in input 2 and you use the fx-block ibn the grid.
You can even do this with one preset.

I remember wanting to do the same thing but reading that there is a difference in Input 1 and Input 2. (secret sauce?).

I found many clean presets that worked for both electric and acoustic so I usually hit a mute, switched guitars and played.

Later I created some custom acoustic presets.

I know that isn't what you're asking for, but i found simplest way installing graph tech piezo saddles in my guitar and using gibson j-28 preset from axechange as reference to start. Surely, you can do it using input 2 and using same j28 preset if you configure each block 's input properly to R. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
This may not be a "10 minute, quick setup" method… but if you're regularly wanting to switch quickly between different guitars (say, an acoustic guitar, and your electric), the method that Chris@AxeFxTutorials describes might be your best bet, when you've got a bit more time to set it up.
Info on it can be found on AxeFx2 Wiki… look under this heading...Axe-Fx II connections and levels: multiple instruments

Basically, you first go to the I/O section, and set your Input 1 to "Stereo".

Next, plug your electric into the front instrument In as you usually do, and plug your acoustic into the Rear Input 1, R.

Then, you insert a Vol block as your 1st block, in whatever presets- acoustic AND electric- that you're gonna use on the gig. For the electric presets, you set the input select on the Vol blocks to "left only" and for the acoustic presets, set it for "right only".

After that, you build your separate presets for electric and acoustic. When you switch between presets, you're automatically switching between guitars, while muting the unused one. Works great!

1. You could make a guitar cord with a kill switch end plug..Switchcraft makes them planet waves I think as well.
2. The planet waves type has button on it you push the switchcraft type is automatic you unplug it kills the signal till
you plug in again..

3. You could also put an ab box before the ax and have one guitar plugged in A side and Acoustic on B side.

If you can activate the tuner with your foot controller:
Switch Tuner on
Switch guitars
Turn Tuner off

This is the quickest way, using the same cable for both guitars.

I would add "switch preset" after you turn the tuner off.

I would add "switch preset" after you turn the tuner off.

If you switch presets the Tuner will automagically come off.

(I haven't decided if that's a bug or a feature...)

It's a nice option to have your acoustic preset built as a scene, so it's a once button switch, but whatever your comfortable with (i.e. switching to an acoustic preset is no big deal either...)

I was wondering about this as well. - I'm sure it's been asked before, is there a way to keep the acoustic plugged into the front input and electric plugged into the rear input, and depending on the preset, either the front or rear input is chosen.....is that possible?

Sorry to go a little off topic, but a friend did this and I thought it was really cool. As he was already using a Line6 wireless unit, purchase multiple bodypacks and tune them to same frequency as the receiver. Put and leave bodypacks on multiple guitars. Only turn on the one on the guitar you are playing at the moment. Slick answer for quick changes, just don't forget to have only one on at a time.

1. You could make a guitar cord with a kill switch end plug..Switchcraft makes them planet waves I think as well.
2. The planet waves type has button on it you push the switchcraft type is automatic you unplug it kills the signal till
you plug in again..

3. You could also put an ab box before the ax and have one guitar plugged in A side and Acoustic on B side.
That's what I use. I had a Custom Cable made for my AKG Wireless Body Pack by Best-Tronics with a Right Angle Automatic Kill Switch. It's totally silent and works great..

Last edited:
A different approach is to ditch the acoustic guitar completely, and use Scott Peterson's acoustic simulation patch. It might not sound as good as a real acoustic, but changeover is one pedal tap, and there is no risk of feedback

I know that isn't what you're asking for, but i found simplest way installing graph tech piezo saddles in my guitar and using gibson j-28 preset from axechange as reference to start. Surely, you can do it using input 2 and using same j28 preset if you configure each block 's input properly to R. Hope it helps.

+1 for this. I used this with a stereo cable plugged into the guitar and Y-cable into the back Inputs 1L/1R and built scenes to select which input was active. Acoustic/Electric switching as fast as you can tap your feet. I did a write-up on this setup a while ago here: Could we start again? | zazula.me.

Last edited:
Is getting a guitar that has piezo pickup an option? A PRS P22 or EBMM JP6?
Yes highly recommended ... I have several JP Models that I use with the Piezo's and they work great....
It always priceless when the people in my band can't figure out where the Acoustic Sounds are coming from!!!

Last edited:
I have to switch between a 12 string acoustic and my electric mid song. I have two lines going across my layout. Top line is my electric tone, bottom one being my acoustic signal. Acoustic goes into Input 1R, electric is Left Input in the front of the Axe. I have a volume block in the first space of each line, with the input corresponding to the appropriate guitar, with the bypass set to mute. I use scenes to select between the two.

Back
Top Bottom