Switch HOLD visual when activated

m lebofsky

Experienced
Since I can't change the Post title, now that I am shifting my idea for visual display of a switch hold being held (not an LED ring topic anymore), I have created this new post/wish.

It would be very nice to "see" that a switch hold is activated.
I just figured out the easy, natural fix.....

While holding the switch down, the little screen text changes to white on black background and shows the HOLD Label. When you let go of the switch, it reverts back to the TAP switch text (black on white background).

Solution: Simply don't revert the little screen back until you unhold ..... Leave the held white on black background HOLD label. In fact, it could even blink. PERFECT!!

The post title can always be changed by you using the Thread Tools menu.

Your idea for the labels doesn't follow the paradigm used by Fractal:

The label always shows where you're going, not where you are.

The LED rings always show where you are, not where you're going.

Both are only relevant to the primary (Tap) function of the switch.

You will see your Tap function again when you turn off your hold. The whole intent is to see (somewhere) that your hold is active.

You do know there's a way to "toggle" the tap and hold functions, right?

The reality is you have 2 states you want to know but there is only the ability to display one of them at a time.

I think we all understand the desire but I've yet to see a proposed solution that didn't make things very confusing or just flip the problem :(

You can use Reveal Hold if you really need to see the hold functions. I don’t see the benefit of losing your tap function view per switch, personally. Tap functions are usually more important and this is how the FC has already been designed. The same problem comes up if the Hold function is displayed and you can’t see your tap. Just my thought on it.

You can use Reveal Hold if you really need to see the hold functions. I don’t see the benefit of losing your tap function view per switch, personally. Tap functions are usually more important and this is how the FC has already been designed. The same problem comes up if the Hold function is displayed and you can’t see your tap. Just my thought on it.
It's not a question of seeing the hold function, it's a question of seeing that the hold function is on.

I think some visual clue that a switch is in it's hold state is an excellent idea. What about this?

Toggle - user defined color = ex: Red
Hold - user defined color = ex: White

Toggle On = Red
Toggle Off = Ring off.
Hold On = Ring pulsating or alternating Red and White. Possibly at current tempo?
Hold Off = Last state of the Toggle function.

Scenarios:

Toggle on when Hold is activated: Ring would alternate the Toggle On color with the Hold On color.

Toggle Off when Hold is activated: Ring would alternate light off with Hold On color.

The label always shows where you're going, not where you are.

Well... the above isn't exactly true, and you can always use custom labels.
If I had to describe the way in which this wish defies the paradigm, I'd say that the problem is that it asks the mini-display label to become a switch status indicator. That's not how it works. It indicates switch function.

I feel the same way about pulsating and toggling things that I did about the html blink tag: they waste time.

Not every Hold Function scenario is a candidate for the ring to be lit bright. As the matter of fact I can think of many scenarios where there would be no need. But there are also a lot of scenarios where a Hold Function indicator would be just as useful as a Toggle indicator.

Why not give the user the option to choose Hold Function Ring On or Off and color. I do think the Ring would need to alternate between the current Toggle state color and the Hold On color. So at a glance I can see if the Toggle is active and if the Hold Function is active.

Not every Hold Function scenario is a candidate for the ring to be lit bright. As the matter of fact I can think of many scenarios where there would be no need. But there are also a lot of scenarios where a Hold Function indicator would be just as useful as a Toggle indicator.

Why not give the user the option to choose Hold Function Ring On or Off and color. I do think the Ring would need to alternate between the current Toggle state color and the Hold On color. So at a glance I can see if the Toggle is active and if the Hold Function is active.
YES

Back
Top Bottom