Switch from FAMC LF+12+ to RJM Mastermind GT/22?

JSXtremist

Inspired
After 4 years of exclusively playing acoustic guitar, I'm coming back to my electric guitar rig:

Guitar > Teese RMC3 Wah > RJM Effect Gizmo (mainly for drive pedals) > Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II

My current MIDI controller is the FAMC LF+12+ but I really dislike its PC editor as I don't find it very intuative. So lately I've been looking at the Mastermind GT/22 on RJM's website. I wouldn't mind having more instant access switches on the floor, and I know support from RJM is great.

With all of the updates that have been done to the Liquid Foot and Mastermind GT products over the years, how do these two controllers compare to one another these days?

I went from the 12+ to the RJM gt16, mainly for the larger lcd screens. it's footprint is bigger, other than that they have basically the same feature sets. I haven't ran into anything I couldn't do on either controllers.

Went from MFC to the RJM22, the support is incredible fast and the only limitation is you, this board can do all.
However, it's very expensive and I would not recommend getting a new one but look for a used.

The RJM is fantastic. It's one of the main reasons I keep using the Axe-Fx, and have not migrated to the AX8.
And yes, it's very expensive. There are a few sold on this forum.

What he said. I bought a used GT22 and it is incredible (and super-expensive, even used!). But once you use one, it's hard to go back to using another midi controller. Literally the only thing I can think of that any controller does better is the MFC being able to be connected via XLR/ethernet.
-
Austin

I noticed a few "like new" Mastermind GT/22 sold for around $1250-1300 in the last 3 months between this forum and Reverb. I'd like to purchase one at this price. I'll be selling my LF+12+ soon.

Last edited:
The RJM is fantastic. It's one of the main reasons I keep using the Axe-Fx, and have not migrated to the AX8.

LOL, same over here, I had an XL/RJM22 setup for long time, than sold the XL for an AX8 as I wanted to shrink / carry less but after 4 months more or less I bought back a fresh XL+ and basically went back to my old setup (luckily I didn't sell the RJM during that time).
I was missing the size, flexibility, convenient, displays, wild ideas programing, you name it.

I almost bought an AX8 because I figured it would at least have all the functionality that the MFC-101 had but it doesn't have Song mode or Set List mode. I'm really surprised that no floorboard FX processors have Song mode or Set List mode because they're so useful and can't use much extra memory.

I was about to sell my Liquid Foot+ PRO+ a couple months ago and get a Mastermind GT22 but FAMC's support started resolving all their issues. I ended up finding a LF+ 12+ used cheap, so now I use my LF+ 12+ as Master and LF+ PRO+ as Expander, so I have access to to 36 footswitches.

Jeff, the owner of FAMC, has really gone out of his way to help me get my LF+ working the way I want. He's even helped me on weekends and updated the firmware a few times in one day. I had some issues with v5.00 and he had v5.03 out within a few hours of me submitting my support ticket and he replied at like 6am.

The only issue I have is that FAMC needs to make a better manual and give example scenarios of how to use the programming commands because I'm sure there's a lot more cool things I could do with my LF+ but it's really difficult to decipher what some of the commands do. They really need to remove their old videos too because they just confuse new users.

The only issue I have is that FAMC needs to make a better manual and give example scenarios of how to use the programming commands because I'm sure there's a lot more cool things I could do with my LF+ but it's really difficult to decipher what some of the commands do.

I agree.

I was about to sell my Liquid Foot+ PRO+ a couple months ago and get a Mastermind GT22 but FAMC's support started resolving all their issues.
Jeff, the owner of FAMC, has really gone out of his way to help me get my LF+ working the way I want. He's even helped me on weekends and updated the firmware a few times in one day. I had some issues with v5.00 and he had v5.03 out within a few hours of me submitting my support ticket and he replied at like 6am.

What is the trick to getting in touch with Jeff or FAMC support?

Last edited:
I opened a ticket with FAMC support on Sunday morning with my syx file, photos of my Axe-Fx MIDI I/O settings, and plans for my LF+ pages all attached, as well as a link to the FAS Forum thread regarding the issue I'm having with initial IA states not syncing on my LF+12+. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...t-initial-ia-states-to-sync-correctly.131767/

Something I was thinking about: I certainly miss the heavy-duty Carling footswitches that are on my old Axess Electronics FX-1 MIDI Foot Controller and Expander. I still have those units stored away (will sell eventually). I always wished the switches on the Liquid Foot had the same tactile actuation point feel, but I am pleased reading that RJM uses Carling-style switches. :)

Last edited:
I opened a ticket with FAMC support on Sunday morning with my syx file, photos of my Axe-Fx MIDI I/O settings, and plans for my LF+ pages all attached, as well as a link to the FAS Forum thread regarding the issue I'm having with initial IA states not syncing on my LF+12+. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...t-initial-ia-states-to-sync-correctly.131767/

Something I was thinking about: I certainly miss the heavy-duty Carling footswitches that are on my old Axess Electronics FX-1 MIDI Foot Controller and Expander. I still have those units stored away (will sell eventually). I always wished the switches on the Liquid Foot had the same actuation point feel, but I am pleased reading that RJM uses Carling-style switches. :)

People cried about the switches, they older LF products had those, LF JR and PRO. People wanted silent switches so when recording it wouldnt have that thunk. I prefer the tactile feedback of the old buttons personally as well.

I have a Mastermind GT/10 and love it. It's very flexible, and now that I've been gigging with it for a few months, it's become second nature to program it. I love the solid build of the MFC-101, and it has great plug/play integration with the AxeFX. But for deep programming, it's pretty hard to beat the Mastermind.

You can't lose with the RJM. I had the Liquid 12+ but way too complicated. I don't have hours on end to get up and running. RJM support is superb too so worth the $$$. In all fairness Liquid Foot has good support. They just need to slim it down and they would rule because of their price point.

Another alternative is the Fractal MFC. That's as plug and play as you can get but limited on midi flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom