Switch Drive block position in the same preset

WbbS

Experienced
I would build a preset with 1 Drive block that I can decide to have before or after the compressor block. In this way I can use:
  • TS (Drive 1 - Channel A) after compressor in Scene 1
  • FF (Drive 1 - Channel B) before compressor in Scene 2
Is it possible?

Any clever routing will likely use more CPU and will introduce feedback loops.

Could one of the drives be the amp block boost?

Any clever routing will likely use more CPU and will introduce feedback loops.

Could one of the drives be the amp block boost?
Probably this is the only way, but I hope in some clever routing that I can't figure out

There is a way with the send/return blocks, but you have to be careful of feedback loops. You MUST have all of the filter blocks set to "Mute" on bypass and the first Feedback Return MUST also be set to "Mute Out" on bypass, otherwise you'll get howling feedback. The second Feedback Return (the one going to the Amp block) should be "Mout Out" too, but you won't get feedback; just a parallel compressed/uncompressed drive output.

EDIT: There also needs to be a 4th filter block between input 1 and the comp block set to be bypassed in the "Drive First" scene in order to avoid blending the clean signal in with the drive signal.

drive1st.jpgcomp1st.jpg

Last edited:
There is a way with the send/return blocks, but you have to be careful of feedback loops. You MUST have all of the filter blocks set to "Mute" on bypass and the first Feedback Return MUST also be set to "Mute Out" on bypass, otherwise you'll get howling feedback. The second Feedback Return (the one going to the Amp block) should be "Mout Out" too, but you won't get feedback; just a parallel compressed/uncompressed drive output.

View attachment 91448View attachment 91446
That's genius! However... does 3 filter blocks and 2 sets of sends returns and the extra shunts take less CPU than a second comp block? Depending on type, the compressor can be as low as ~3% CPU.

Why not set the Amp block’s Boost function as one of your Drives?

Last edited:
That's genius! However... does 3 filter blocks and 2 sets of sends returns and the extra shunts take less CPU than a second comp block? Depending on type, the compressor can be as low as ~3% CPU.
Exactly… 2 compressor blocks seems like a more logical and simpler choice to me.

Why not only see the Amp block’s Boost function as one of your Drives?
Because I won’t have all the options of a drive block. I would do exactly what I do on my pedalboard. Fuzz before comp and OD after.

View attachment 91448View attachment 91446
Wow. Can’t wait to try that.

Because I won’t have all the options of a drive block. I would do exactly what I do on my pedalboard. Fuzz before comp and OD after.
True, you won't have all the options. But you'll have most of the flavors. It might not be your exact wish, but it could get you by.

Wow. Can’t wait to try that.
I just realized you're going to need a 4th filter block between the input and the comp set to be bypassed when you want the drive first. Otherwise you'll be getting a compressed clean signal blended in with your drive signal.

Back
Top Bottom