Swiss Army Knife Guitar

Tom Morris

Power User
Was wondering what others are doing to buy, build one guitar to cover several uses.

My criteria is:
A guitar simular to a Les Paul.
E and drop D tuning.
Floyde Rose Tremolo.
Piezo system for acoustic tones.

I just ordered an ESP LTD AS-1 FR Alex Skolnick model for the base of this project. Graph-Tech piezo saddles and Gost preamp. Tone vise drop D tuner. And to fine tune spring tension on the fly a Sophia Tremolos Global Tuner. Total cost for everything $1,130.00. Not sure what to replace the Bridge JB with, would like a little less gain more vintage tone. Seth Lover Seymour Duncan set?

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.41.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.42.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.42.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.39.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.39.00 PM.png

Let me know how the Tone Vise goes. I have used D-Tunas and don't like them (but a necessary evil as you know...)

I also have a PSR custom 24 floyde rose that came with \M/ pickups, really not digging those either. I swapped the bridge for a Dragon II that I liked on another two PRS I have. The guitar its self is just naturally bright with the FR and ebony fret board, need to tone that down some. I just cant bond with active pickups. What would you recommend from Bare Knuckle? Abraxas looks pretty hot output wise 13 or under recomendation?

For less gain I like the Allnico II Pro's
And don't forget the sustainiac ;-) If you really want a Swiss Army Knife Geetar.
I got one like that but it's a soloist model:
Chris Larkin Bedemir
I heartily recommend Bare Knuckle pickups for passive
Which ones??
BK have pretty high gain ones as well.

So the ESP came in today. It came from a shop where they said it was brand new and and was moved to their used discounted section because it hadn't sold and had been sitting too long, looks brand new. However upon plugging in it was evident there was a bad ground somewhere. Pulled all the covers to find the tremolo ground wire off and other grounds had pulled off the volume pot, cold solder joint. Guess I cant complain too much as I saved $530 on this one over new big box store price with tax. Just hate buying shit and having to work on it right out of the box. Most of the other parts will be in mid week. I have decided to route/chissel a combo battery input jack box in the jack location.

Been using a BK Miracle Man set for years now in my #1 guitar, Nailbomb/Trilogy HSH in another for even longer. All great pickups, but that Miracle Man set, they just sing. They do it all so well, love em.

I have a Lifeson Axcess which has the Graphtec Floyd and Ghost system and love it. I did rewire it though, so that the mag pick up system is totally separate from the piezo system. As far as pick ups go, I can’t recommend Motor City Pick ups enough! I have Motor City Hot Heads in both of my Les Pauls and love em. Those would be a little hot for what you’re looking for, so would probably recommend their 2nd Degree Blackbelts for your ESP.

Was wondering what others are doing to buy, build one guitar to cover several uses.

My criteria is:
A guitar simular to a Les Paul.
E and drop D tuning.
Floyde Rose Tremolo.
Piezo system for acoustic tones.
My criteria for covers band work:
  • Telecaster style guitar to sit between Les Paul and hard tail Strat.
  • Tapped Tele bridge pickup to give both 50s and 60s sounds.
  • Strat type neck pickup
  • Five ways switching to maximise pickup combination options without becoming too complicated for live use.
  • AxeFX for acoustic simulation. IMO much better than piezos.

+100 to Bare Knuckles. I have an Abraxas pair in my mahogany PRS 24 and they’re beautiful. They coil split amazingly well too.
I put the Abraxas set in my Yamaha SG2000 with Jimmy Page style wiring and they are simply great. They sound good in both regular humbucker mode, and split, in or out of phase. Really versatile pickup set.

Finished up the guitar last week. Gigged it last night for the first time and everything worked as expected. If I could afford one the Gibson Axcess would be what I would have, just not in the budget at this time. For $1,200 total I'm happy with the results. Bought CTS volume pots and a Switchcraft 3 way while I was at it. At some point I will swap pickups but its one of those things where I would want to play it feel it hear it.

Great project. Seth Lovers may be a tad too vintage for what you are looking for. Pearly Gates from Seymour Duncan could be worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom