Sweetwater Guitar Cabinet Mic Shootout – with Sound Samples

Cool. The SM57 keeps being a top choice for a tone with bite. 906 and SM7 also.
The MD421 and M160 didn't stand out as much as I'd though it they'd do.

Last edited:
Not sure if you're aware, but the guy in charge of this, Lynn Fuston, previously ran 3D Audio, where besides his producing, engineering, and mixing work, he did a number of super detailed gear comparison shootouts. A bunch of serious audio folks got together in person to listen to highly controlled live takes through different gear. You could buy CDs of that audio to listen for yourself, think I might have some of those stashed away somewhere.

Short version: He's the real deal, and I'd be surprised if these weren't excellent. They have others too, I just posted this one because it's relevant to guitar stuff.

Lynn did the same thing for vocal mics for Sweetwater a while back, with male and female voices. It is a really useful track set anytime you want to get some sort of valid comparison before buying. It is saved on my DAW for just that reason!

Im going to do the same with this one. Thanks!

I'm on vacation, so of course I was cleaning out my home office, and ran into the CD set of the 2003 edition of the "Awesome DAWSUM Sampler" that Lyn Fuston did, "Comparing 29 mixing platforms using identical source files and levels" hardware and software. Pic of cover is attached for your amusement :)

Attachments

• Awesome DAWSUM Sampler.jpg
    Awesome DAWSUM Sampler.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom