Sweet Child 'O' V9 (Added Full Track + Preset)

xpenno

Power User
Hi guys,

My band finally decided to start looking at a cover of Sweet Child 'O' Mine which I have played for many a year but never really tried to get the tone spot on. I got about an hour alone so thought I'd have a go. It's as close to what Slash was supposed to have used as possible, which is basically a crank'd Plexi2 into the 4x12 V30 cab and an SM58. Add a Cathedral Rev, Studio Comp and some EQ and this is about as close as I can get. Guitar is Les Paul 59 reissue direct into AxeFX, AxeFX direct into Motu and then Sonar. No post processing at all.

http://www.eclecticbluemusic.co.uk/axefx/sweetchild.mp3

Let me know what you think?

Cheers

Spence

Ok I decided to add the full backing track, I am still learning it but I think it sounds OK, everything the same as before just added the (slightly more uptempo) backing track :D

http://www.eclecticbluemusic.co.uk/axefx/sweetchildOV9.mp3

And here is the preset.

[attachment=0:fw7xyrdx]SweetChildV9.syx[/attachment:fw7xyrdx]

Attachments

• SweetChildV9.syx
    2 KB · Views: 198
Re: Sweet Child 'O' V9

Hi Spence,
I don't have the orignal at hand and I listen through little speakers at very low volume. But I'm sure it's at least close enough to trick every audience on this planet. :shock:

Be sure to get a curly wig and a big hat. And you have to smoke during the playing ... :lol:

Well done! Rock the house!

Micha

Thanks everybody :)

I've just had a quick Jam along to the whole song on a backing track that I found on my hard disk. I'm not fully up to speed on all of it yet though plus the backing track is faster and in standard tuning and I have a monster set of strings on my Les Paul at the moment (my covers band tune down a tone) and the quick runs are hard work! I'll sort out another guitar and have a bash at some point :)

Thanks again

Spence

I laughed when the clip first started because it sounded so close. I compared it to the original and it IS very close. The original has a little more punch to it but I think that's due to mastering. Since it's a rock album it's probably heavily compressed.

Re: Sweet Child 'O' V9 (Added Full Track)

Added the full track to first post, all lead guitar should be there (well sort of!) I also did a bit of rhythm guitar just before the main solo.

Thanks

Spence

Excellent work!! Very, very close indeed. Also good work regard to your playing on the track..

This patch is a must have. Any chance you might share it? :D

Cheers

That album and tone is permanently etched into my brain from playing it non stop in 1987-88. I'll never forget 'Appetite' because a high school friend went to LA right when it first came out and came back with a cassette for me. No-one we knew had heard of GnR in my (Canadian) town, but I wore out that cassette tape and later got the CD just as they went huge.

If anything was off about your tone I believe I would hear it instantly, but that was completely BANG ON! Nicely done!

Absolutely brilliant...maybe a touch more drive, but spot on! In Slash's autobiography (excellent book and highly recommend it) he says something along the lines of 'people have chased endlessly for the tone i got on the Appetite album without success'....i think the chase is over! ;)

Damn good work. Playing is spot on too; we used to cover that song; you nailed it. Totally drop dead nailed it. Kudos man.

Sounds awesome! The most interesting thing is that you did it with a Les Paul, the famous intro is actually played on a Telecaster :ugeek:

tonygtr said:
Sounds awesome! The most interesting thing is that you did it with a Les Paul, the famous intro is actually played on a Telecaster :ugeek:

Very interesting indeed, where did you here that? In all of the interviews I read, Slash said that it was a Les Paul with the tone know rolled off...

xpenno said:
Hi guys,

My band finally decided to start looking at a cover of Sweet Child 'O' Mine which I have played for many a year but never really tried to get the tone spot on. I got about an hour alone so thought I'd have a go. It's as close to what Slash was supposed to have used as possible, which is basically a crank'd Plexi2 into the 4x12 V30 cab and an SM58. Add a Cathedral Rev, Studio Comp and some EQ and this is about as close as I can get. Guitar is Les Paul 59 reissue direct into AxeFX, AxeFX direct into Motu and then Sonar. No post processing at all.

http://www.eclecticbluemusic.co.uk/axefx/sweetchild.mp3

Let me know what you think?

Cheers

Spence

Ok I decided to add the full backing track, I am still learning it but I think it sounds OK, everything the same as before just added the (slightly more uptempo) backing track :D

http://www.eclecticbluemusic.co.uk/axefx/sweetchildOV9.mp3

The first clip is spot on with the throaty tone to it and also the guitar tuned down 1/2 step. Don't care for the 2nd clip because the guitar isn't tuned down.

Back
Top Bottom