AFIII Sweep Challenge! Fast arpeggios w/low gain (Holding out for a hero)

sort of right.
Yeah, really, I can hear all the flubs! NOT!
That was fantastic!
As much as I'd love to be able to do things like that, I am completely unable to. And I never had the patience to drill this to a product. :(
I use the sequencer! Lol!
Well done!

I'm convinced if that's a technique you want to learn, be good at, and be able to play at a speed in which it makes sense (i.e., imo its use is pointless unless played at a speed that makes it sound "cool"), you need to start at a young age, while your brain is still pretty malleable. Just being able to roll your fingers properly across adjacent notes on the same fret can be quite the challenge, that if not executed correctly, will sound muddy.
NICE job!
I was quite surprised seeing an old clip of Les Paul in the 50's using 3-string sweeps. I love it when I see some cool technique, that was generally thought of to have been "invented" recently, being played by the greats of several decades ago!

Last edited:
I was quite surprised seeing an old clip of Les Paul in the 50's using 3-string sweeps. I love it when I see some cool technique, that was generally thought of to have been "invented" recently, being played by the greats of several decades ago!
Steve Hackett was 2-hand tapping long before EVH. It's an "old" classical technique.

Steve Hackett was 2-hand tapping long before EVH. It's an "old" classical technique.
Yeah, I think I remember hearing of that. But I used to think Eddie was the first. There's many example, not only in music, in which the person who came up with something, isn't the one who popularized it, and thus doesn't get the credit from the masses.

Agree with everyone else. Great job! And thanks for providing the tab.

I'm convinced if that's a technique you want to learn, be good at, and be able to play at a speed in which it makes sense (i.e., imo its use is pointless unless played at a speed that makes it sound "cool"), you need to start at a young age, while your brain is still pretty malleable. Just being able to roll your fingers properly across adjacent notes on the same string can be quite the challenge, that if not executed correctly, will sound muddy.
Does 17 years old count as a young age? That's when I started "trying" to sweep, but never mastered being able to roll your fingers properly across adjacent notes without them bleeding into each other.

@Deathlef , In that second arpeggio (Em), how are you muting the 12th fret B on the B string when you hit the E on the 12th fret? Fine palm muting so you mute the B without muting the E? It doesn't look like you are rolling your fingers off it and it sounds like you are playing it perfectly without the B ringing.

I'd say 17 is certainly young enough. ;) And to be clear, this is just my experience.
Yeah, I've seen that too, where is doesn't look like they're rolling the fingers, and makes me wonder how in the heck are they keeping the notes from bleeding into each other. Even if you're that accurate with your palm mute, at even a mid-gain tone, you can still get a sound from the string you just played. It's hard, especially trying to do them @ 57!
The one thing I've found is pretty much an absolute, is, if you can't get it to sound right (whatever it is), ya gotta slow it down even further. And most of us hate doing that! Lol

I'd say 17 is certainly young enough. ;) And to be clear, this is just my experience.
Yeah, I've seen that too, where is doesn't look like they're rolling the fingers, and makes me wonder how in the heck are they keeping the notes from bleeding into each other. Even if you're that accurate with your palm mute, at even a mid-gain tone, you can still get a sound from the string you just played. It's hard, especially trying to do them @ 57!
The one thing I've found is pretty much an absolute, is, if you can't get it to sound right (whatever it is), ya gotta slow it down even further. And most of us hate doing that! Lol
I hear ya. Thanks to this thread and the vid, I just started learning finger rolling. Unfortunately, my brain isn't as malleable @ 52 as it was @ 17. ;)

And yeah. It always tests your patience when you can play some things fast, but have to slow waaaay down for a new technique.

Back
Top Bottom