Wish Swap channels

edo

Power User
Vendor
I don't know whether this should be posted here or in the axe edit forum, so feel free to move it if that's the case. Anyways, it would be super cool if you could implement the function to swap channels within a block, along with the current function of "copy channel X to channel Y". It would be nice to have the option to swap channel A with channel C without copying A to B, C to A and then B to C for example! Unless there's something I'm missing, this is the only option and workflow I can think of at the moment..

Last edited:
+1. The shell sort works (copy the one to clipboard, copy the other to the one, switch to the other and paste from clipboard), but it would be a lot less work if you could swap.

+1 for this, from the front panel, just like Swap Scenes.

Another +1 for this in the editor.

One thing that occurred to me might explain its absence is that it doesn't know what you want to do in the scenes that would be affected. Do they get modified to have the same tones as before, or not? Neither one of right in all cases. Are there two actions, one each way? What would you call them? Is this worth it?

It might sound like I'm dissing the idea, I'm not, I wish for it a lot, when preset evolution leaves channels in a random order. Doesn't actually matter, but my sense of craftsmanship is offended.

That should make no difference. You're deciding to change what's defined in a channel. If a channel is in use in a given scene, then it will use whatever you changed the channel settings to be.

No different than if you manually changed it.
Say I have 4 presets with increasing levels of gain 1-4.
But because of the way the preset evolved, the amp channels aren't A-B-C-D, they're D-B-C-A.
Works fine, but it's "out of order".
If you swap channels A and D and don't modify the scenes, the amp channels are in gain order now, but the scenes are messed up, in the sense that they're not in gain order any more, and any other blocks or settings that were supposed to go with the high- and low-gain channels you switched aren't with their intended amp channels.

That's option one for how swapping channels could work -- assume nothing else should change, which as a result changes the sound of the affected scenes.

Option two would be to assume that the tones are where you want them to be in each scene, you only want to swap which channels are labelled A and D.
To accomplish that, the swap action would have to swap the channel settings as above, and also adjust any scenes that used channel A to use channel D, and vice versa.
Net effect would be to swap the channels, but leave the sound of the scenes the same.

That second behavior is most commonly what I'm thinking of when I find myself want to swap channels.

But because of the way the preset evolved, the amp channels aren't A-B-C-D, they're D-B-C-A.
But the order of Channels doesn't really matter. The selected channel in a given scene is what's important.

I mean, I do see your point in the scenario you described. But a simple "swap channels" function doesn't require those abilities.

But the order of Channels doesn't really matter. The selected channel in a given scene is what's important.

I mean, I do see your point in the scenario you described. But a simple "swap channels" function doesn't require those abilities.
Agree, channel order doesn't really matter functionally, but since channels don't have names, letter order is all we have to keep our mental models together. But I'll live ;)

OTOH, I don't think I've literally ever hit the simple scenario, where you happen to want to change all instances of one channel into another one and vice versa.

Yes I think if you’re at the point that you want to swap channels you know it’s going to affect your scenes and are prepared to deal with that, or you haven’t even started making your scenes yet and want to get the blocks in a specific order before you start creating your scenes. I spend way more time just messing with tones than scenes. The scenes comes at the end once I feel I‘ve squeezed as much as I can out of what I have loaded into the preset.

Back
Top Bottom