Wish Swap behavior of Enter and Edit buttons in Layout Grid

laxu

Fractal Fanatic
For most things in the Fractal hardware UI, the Enter button opens a selected item or acts as a shortcut to another view.

The only exception is the Layout Grid where Enter will connect blocks instead. I propose that this behavior is changed so that Enter will go edit the selected block and connecting blocks is done in the view where you move blocks around as one of the actions you can select.

Most of the time the use of the layout grid is just going to edit a specific block rather than changing how they are connected. So changing Enter to edit a block would increase consistency within the UI and would mean you don't have to remember to hit Edit instead of Enter in the Layout view. I don't know about others but I keep messing this up all the time because it's not consistent with the rest of the UI.

I love consistency but this would be a step backwards for “front panel people”. There’s already a dedicated Edit button, so no need for Enter tot fulfill that task. To move the Connect/Disconnect function away to a separate page would seriously hamper the editing process, I use it a lot.

Also, Enter has performed like this in all generations of the hardware.

I love consistency but this would be a step backwards for “front panel people”. There’s already a dedicated Edit button, so no need for Enter tot fulfill that task. To move the Connect/Disconnect function away to a separate page would seriously hamper the editing process, I use it a lot.

Also, Enter has performed like this in all generations of the hardware.
Just because it's always worked like that is not a good reason to keep doing it like that. While I agree it makes Edit a double feature, it's definitely something I would like at least as an option. "Swap Edit and Enter functionality in layout grid" option?

EDIT: Now that I think of it, swapping the button functionality in layout grid actually makes sense for the button labeling too: You are "Entering the block" or "Editing the grid connections". I've renamed the thread accordingly.

Last edited:
I kinda like this idea. Intuitively, I always hit enter when I'm in the grid view and end up having to hit exit, and then "Oh yeah; it's 'edit' to edit. Der."

I would appreciate the option.

+1

Back
Top Bottom