Sustainiac simulation?

Pinkycramps

Experienced
Hey, I was reading the manual for the III (I still have my XL, but I'm kind of daydream shopping a bit) and was looking at the send/return block section. (The II has this as well obviously...)

But the example given made me think a bit... could you use this feedback loop to create a kind of infinite sustain effect, like a sustainiac pickup? Has anyone tried that?

Hey, I was reading the manual for the III (I still have my XL, but I'm kind of daydream shopping a bit) and was looking at the send/return block section. (The II has this as well obviously...)

But the example given made me think a bit... could you use this feedback loop to create a kind of infinite sustain effect, like a sustainiac pickup? Has anyone tried that?
Yes, same as on the Axe Fx II... A literal feedback loop. Although, that's not how a sustainiac works as far as I know.

But be VERY careful... It will turn on you very quickly and you could blow out your speakers or ears.

You've been warned :)

I've never tried it, and yes, it's a bit different... but I'd think with the right setup, you could get a similar effect. But I imagine it would take some tweaking and know how... like a specific amount of slight decay to keep it from running away and doing like you warn about... I'm wondering if there is a sweet spot that just adds massive (controllable) sustain... I don't know. Just kind of wondering out loud...

Then again... as I think about about... it might not respond to bends or vibrato (at least not instantly)? I might have to play with this. I was just hoping some guru around here already had... ::D

I've never tried it, and yes, it's a bit different... but I'd think with the right setup, you could get a similar effect. But I imagine it would take some tweaking and know how... like a specific amount of slight decay to keep it from running away and doing like you warn about... I'm wondering if there is a sweet spot that just adds massive (controllable) sustain... I don't know. Just kind of wondering out loud...

Then again... as I think about about... it might not respond to bends or vibrato (at least not instantly)? I might have to play with this. I was just hoping some guru around here already had... ::D
I spent a little time with it, but after scaring myself shitless a couple times I determined I was not the one to do it ;)

The sustaniac works differently
It a transducer installed on the guitar that actually causes the physical strings to vibrate
The closest thing to that effect would be and ebow
If you wanted a pedal the closest is likely the Digitech Freqout

I've got the Digitech Freqout pedal on its own in my effects loop on my AXE FXII, with the loop controlled by an external switch.
I have the pedal in a rack tray under my unit so I can play around with different settings on the fly, and just kick it in when I want.

I got this to replace the Fernandes Sustainer I had fitted into my PRS Standard 24, not quite as good as the Sustainer but a good substitute that can be used with whichever guitar I'm using instead of just the one :)

This topic has come up a lot. You can replicate Ebow or a sustainiac to a certain extent but I've never come across a really convincing preset from the Axe. Nothing can replace the real thing because the sustaining bit is just one part of the sound or things that can be done with an Ebow or sustainer. The Digitech Freqout comes close though. So I guess that pedal is your best bet.

I'm actually considering a guitar with a sustainiac. Thinking of taking a road trip to San Diego and having Keisel build one for me. That's kind of what got me thinking... "Hey.. I wonder if I could create a preset?" But I agree that it wouldn't be the same... so I'm probably just going to go get that dream guitar made instead. Oh well. Bummer.:D

Agreed. I was looking at those and the PC1 is awesome and I would love one, but to me it's a bit pricey for what I can get from Keisel with the same features and an unbelievable finish on a fully customized build. I'm thinking of adding piezo saddles to the bridge for a guitar that has it all and will be crazy versatile. I like the PRS custom 24 piezo too... so I'm not fully decided yet, but these are the top three choices with the Keisel out front right now.

I've never owned a Jackson or a PRS. I have 2 older custom Carvin's and they are built really well - and Keisel has taken things up a few notches it seems in terms of what you can have done.

Freq out pedal will probably be the cheapest solution as mentioned; just thought I'd throw out the PC1 and agree about the price being up there, but they are truly great super strats with their own version of a sustainer (believe it morphed from the technology in an early Floyd Rose-design that Jackson - now Fender owns).... Keisel looks cool too!!...Schecter and Fernandes make several models with the sustainers ("Sustainiac") built in that are much cheaper; may be a fun trip to your favorite music store to see if they have any in stock to play around with.

I would figure Fractal could probably make something similar to the Freqout if they wanted to
It has been in wish list for a while
Perhaps it will happen

Try mapping the pitch detection signal to control the center frequency of a filter band. Then crank the gain of that band with a fairly narrow Q. Works great for me when adjusted properly and I adjust my technique appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom