Sustainer guitars anyone?

the intensity differs from volume I presume..? Thanks!
It’s the strength of the sustainer effect, so basically how strongly it causes the strings to resonate. You can turn it down for more subtle sustain, but what’s the point of that? :)
It also controls how quickly the sustainer driver grabs the string and starts to vibrate it. Attack time, I guess?

Something like that. I've never really found a use for it in my playing, I like the sustainer effect to be full on and I just mute or dampen with my hands if I need to.

you jerks have reignited my GAS for one of these....any of you try this one.?....
https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/sun-valley-super-shredder-fr-s-riviera-blue-detail
No, but I was literally coming here to say that I noticed the other day that Schecter has a lot of guitars with the sustainer option.

Thanks for pointing that the SVSS has the option, too (I didn't see it the other day) as that's a guitar I'd been keeping on the GAS back burner... Now it's jumped a notch or two :)

Friend of mine got one of the Satriani chrome boy guitars - the sustainer in there is lots of fun. Crazy cool guitar.View attachment 61824
When I attended The G4 Experience a few years ago, Satch was really extolling the virtues of those sustainers.

He loves them for playing smaller venues or doing lower volume performances like clinics, etc where getting the volume up to the level he wants for natural feedback is a challenge.

He was also very complimentary of the pickup just as a "normal" pickup.

The Sustainiac I have has 4 modes and can be accessed via a push/push or a push/pull pot. I use a push/push pot.

In the “in position” turning the pot counter clockwise increases intensity in the hyper feedback mode. Turning the pot clockwise increases fundamental sustain mode.

In the “pulled out” or “pushed out” position there are 2 types of “mix modes”. These are more subtle mix variations of the hyper feedback mode and the fundamental mode. To a certain extent these can keep hyper feedback mode on the lower strings and more towards fundamental on the higher string registers. Also the intensity comes in more gradual as opposed to the the first 2 modes where the sustainer comes in more immediate.

Turning the pot counter clockwise is 1 type of mix mode and turning the pot clockwise is the other.

I tend to lean more towards use of the mix modes.

No, but I was literally coming here to say that I noticed the other day that Schecter has a lot of guitars with the sustainer option.

Thanks for pointing that the SVSS has the option, too (I didn't see it the other day) as that's a guitar I'd been keeping on the GAS back burner... Now it's jumped a notch or two :)
BOUGHT . www.zzzounds.com has all the options in stock. I got the green one. (No surfer...but a goblin)
Shipping
Sun Valley Super Shredder FR S

Last edited:
Schecter guitars are great. Amazing bang for the buck. I picked up this one earlier this year. Only thing missing on that Sun Valley is the 3rd knob for sustainer intensity but tbh I always just keep that on max anyway.

The humbucker kit doesn't even have the intensity pot, so its not really necessary. I usually omit it in my builds as well.

It’s the strength of the sustainer effect, so basically how strongly it causes the strings to resonate. You can turn it down for more subtle sustain, but what’s the point of that? :)

Aye. Who needs subtle? I want Pterodactyl noises, dammit!

I currently have a Fernandes equipped guitar that is fun to play.
The sustainer guitars have a preamp that is always on. This means your guitar pickups are all effected by the preamp, even when you’re not using the sustain feature. If you enjoy the sound of passive pickups and electronics (at least for the bridge pickup) I would recommend the Sustainiac system instead.
BOTH systems are great to play. The Sustainiac system is straight forward, bulletproof and solid. The Sustainer system is more complex and you more than likely will end up inside the guitar to tweak and make adjustments.

What tuners did he go with? I want to replace mine with similar looking, but locking, tuners.

He went with Schaller tuners on a Warmoth birdseye maple neck.

Attachments

• IMG_6900.jpg
    IMG_6900.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6901.jpg
    IMG_6901.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
He went with Schaller tuners on a Warmoth birdseye maple neck.
Just seeing this now. Thanks. I see he swapped the neck now. I missed that. These probably wouldn't be drop in for the vintage style Fender tuners on the stock neck, eh?

Now you've got me thinking a whole neck swap would be good. The neck on that guitar is definitely the beefiest neck in my collection. Excessively so. A 59 carve Warmoth on there would be a better fit for me.

Just posted yesterday afternoon. Took me a while to get to the studio for the photos..lol. I think the Schallers and Warmoth neck were ordered together for another guitar he had. But when he got the sustainer he did not like the neck. Said it felt like a baseball bat and he swapped. Plays beautifully now.

I‘m considering having one installed in my JEM. I love what they do and I’m a feedback freak in general, so any way I can manipulate it or the sound of it, I’m game for.

For those who have used more than one Sustainer, have you noticed a lot of differences pickup to pickup? Vai said the biggest reason he hasn’t put them in the JEM line is because they’re so inconsistent he didn’t feel comfortable doing so. I really love how my JEM sounds and am cautious to mess with that, especially if I happen to get a dud that will only sound decent when it’s doing it’s sustainer thing.

I
BOUGHT . www.zzzounds.com has all the options in stock. I got the green one. (No surfer...but a goblin)
Shipping
Sun Valley Super Shredder FR S
very excited to become acquainted with this baby later tomorrow...it and my new III and FC6 (numero duo baby) await my imminent arrival in sunny Miami Beach...my snowbird season off to a good start....sustained sunshine and toneage.

I

very excited to become acquainted with this baby later tomorrow...it and my new III and FC6 (numero duo baby) await my imminent arrival in sunny Miami Beach...my snowbird season off to a good start....sustained sunshine and toneage.

Be prepared, we’ve had some crappy weather for the last few weeks in Ft. Lauderdale. The temp has dropped down to the 50’s a few times (UGHH) and there’s been a lot of rain. I’ve been overseeing a roof replacement on a large, commercial building....the last month has been a nightmare. Ft Lauderdale broke a rain record about 4 weeks ago with 7” of rain in one hour. It’s mostly been windy in the last month. Lots of flight delays with my friends coming in and out of Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood International!

The forecast for the week ahead is just about perfect...which is all I need this trip...(gotta go back for a while to chi town)..My travel karma is usually Ok, so I’m sure I just borked it......and if it rains a bit, all the more reason to twiddle my new rig.
Be prepared, we’ve had some crappy weather for the last few weeks in Ft. Lauderdale. The temp has dropped down to the 50’s a few times (UGHH) and there’s been a lot of rain. I’ve been overseeing a roof replacement on a large, commercial building....the last month has been a nightmare. Ft Lauderdale broke a rain record about 4 weeks ago with 7” of rain in one hour. It’s mostly been windy in the last month. Lots of flight delays with my friends coming in and out of Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood International!

Back
Top Bottom