Sustainer guitars anyone?

Shredology

Experienced
Anybody getting regular use out of a sustainer equipped guitar?
I was watching the rig rundown of TSO and Joel Hoekstra seems to be using them a lot. I can see them for that style of music but they have never been on my radar. Just wondering if I am missing something.

Reactions: ESW
Heck yeah, my #1 is a Jackson PC1 and I use the sustainer A LOT. Just another tool in the toolbox for expression. I've tried guitars equipped with a Fernandes Sustainiac, and preferred the Jackson (floyd rose) sustainer in the PC1. It runs on 2 9v batteries and is stronger.

But I guess it all depends on your music and playing style.

Hey! I use an Ed O'Brien Stratocaster. It's got a Fernandes Sustainer setup in it. Pretty awesome. Works as advertised. It'll do a fundamental or an octave overtone. There's a middle mode that, honestly, I've not yet figured out that's supposed to combine them somehow and morph it from fundamental to octave or something like that. But mode 1 and 3 are sweet.

Combine it with a silent recording setup around an Axe-Fx and it's really cool.

Big sustainer user here! I've even built several guitars with sustainers in them myself (5 I think?) , the humbucker sized version, the single coil version and even a 7 string with a sustainiac. I I'm a huge U2 fan (well, I used to be, a little more low burner these days), spent years in a Radiohead tribute band so a guitar with sustainer was kinda mandatory. I even dig the sound of the neck pickup itself. I could have used an e-bow, but 1 free hand seemed like a better deal, although a sustainer is not quite the same in use as an e-bow. If only because with an e-bow you need to use the neck pickup for best effect while with the sustainer the bridge pickup is mandatory. Which also needs to be a humbucker, whereas the e-bow is far less demanding in that regard.

I regularly, and almost exclusively use a guitar with a sustainer.

I had it installed in one guitar and then, pretty much gravitated toward that one 100% of the time... and now I have a few more.

The later sustainers were all installed by the guys that make Joel's guitars actually- Atomic Guitar Works... they're local and do great work.

I've got a 7-string Schecter with a Sustainiac, and another Sustainiac kit that I'm planning on installing in another guitar, probably my Vigier fretless..

I got some.
Kramer Sustainer
Warmoth Soloist with a sustainiac and a Larkin with Sustainiac and piëzos:
PlRsh4KgAuGrLl82NJK4LxGA0alXi5MgwI7eaArBKRU=w1351-h856-no

Hey! I use an Ed O'Brien Stratocaster. It's got a Fernandes Sustainer setup in it. Pretty awesome. Works as advertised. It'll do a fundamental or an octave overtone. There's a middle mode that, honestly, I've not yet figured out that's supposed to combine them somehow and morph it from fundamental to octave or something like that. But mode 1 and 3 are sweet.

Combine it with a silent recording setup around an Axe-Fx and it's really cool.

Really cool!

My buddy has the Ed O'Brien Strat and upgraded the neck and tuners. The guitar is killer. He doesn't use it eBow style. It's more like Hendrix or old school feedback but in a lower volume controlled manner. It is irreplaceable in our sets.

Reactions: ESW
I have 2 Schecter Hellraisers with Sustainiacs and they are amazing. Imagine getting the kind of feedback and response you get from a cranked amp even at low volume or under headphones where the sound produced would not usually have an opportunity to interact with the strings. It's awesome. You can even get the guitar to feedback with the guitar volume turned down to 0, as long as its plugged in. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan!

Back
Top Bottom