Sustain pedal m-audio -> expression pedal

Blor007

Inspired
Hi guys!

I have a midipiano sustain pedal that I like to use as a midi expression pedal either directly to my Fractal axe fx pedal input OR into my Ground control pro. Both of them are not working. Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance!

It's TRS. I would like to experiment with it and use it on the guitar like it is used on the piano :) To close the gap between different chords

It's TRS. I would like to experiment with it and use it on the guitar like it is used on the piano :) To close the gap between different chords

So your expecting a piano "sustain" pedal for a midi keyboard to work the same way with guitar, and make your guitar chords sustain longer ???

I can use the sustain pedal to trigger a delay 'hold' for example. But it seems as though the sustain pedal is not compatible with ground control pro input nor the axe fx 2 pedal input. Any ideas?

I can use the sustain pedal to trigger a delay 'hold' for example. But it seems as though the sustain pedal is not compatible with ground control pro input nor the axe fx 2 pedal input. Any ideas?

Typically, a piano sustain pedal is a "momentary" controller, meaning it triggers a specific command when you hold it down, but that command ceases when you take your foot off. If you plug into the axe fx pedal inputs, you can specify pedal type in the controller menu on the axe fx, (momentary or latching). If you assign the pedal to controller 1 to 16, you might be able to use it more like a toggle switch. In that case, you might be able to turn an effect on, take your foot off the pedal, then press the pedal again when you want to turn the effect off. I don't believe that you can use the sustain pedal for continuous commands (gradually moving from one setting to another) as it is more like a hard on/off switch, mechanically. An expression pedal contains a variable resister (like a volume pot) to gradually go from minimum to maximum.

Like David said the pedal you have only sends 0 or 127 as a command. It may be that you need to calibrate the pedal so it will be read correctly by the Axe FX. It may not be sending a full range 0-127 value so it wouldn’t be reading the two extremes and wouldn’t work in that case.

There actually are sustain pedals that send full CC 0-127 messages. They are called ”half damper” pedals. I’m not sure which exact pedal you have but I’m guessing it’s not one of those.

Back
Top Bottom