Wish Sustain pedal like the one from Game Changer Audio

Generally the best option is simply to buy the given pedal if there is a certain effect you really want.

The Axe can do tons of stuff, and can do a similar sound, but its not going to be exact. I had a Game Changer for a bit, and found I just didn't use it enough to warrant the cost, for my needs. I just use a bit of reverb hold and it does the trick of what I'm after, but certainly isn't the same thing.

Same goes with things like the Digitech FreqOut! pedal. If, at some point the Axe can do it, then I'll gladly sell my Freqout, but until then, I'd rather have and enjoy something that does just what I want with the hardware pedal, instead of waiting on an effect setting which may never come.

If you want a "freeze" style effect, you can get pretty close. If you want exactly what the GameChanger offers, you need the real deal. Some great used prices too on these, which is how I got mine.

With some experimenting and adding a Plex Delay, Chorus, Tremolo in the lane after the delay I can come closer to the sound in the video. I blocked the direct guitar sound and set the delay time to a lower ms value.

You know, there is "hold" option in the reverb.

The preset mentioned by Yek sounds close(r) to the Freeze where via the Reverb Hold I find it reacts different. Maybe I need to experiment some more with it. For my usage I want the “effect” to be dry and have a separate reverb block to add the ambience. Via the delay block and additional blocks to control ambience I’ve found a way to make it sound interesting and like the video I mentioned.

Interested! :)

The Gamechanger sounds great, but IMHO way too expensive for its purpose. I know several people who bought it and sold it again.

Would be great to have this functionality in the box, together with the FreqOut.

Last edited:
Interested! :)

The Gamechanger sounds great, but IMHO way too expensive for its purpose. I know several people who bought it and sold it again.

Would be great to have this functionality in the box, together with the FreqOut.

Indeed, I agree that for the technology used its way overpriced. I was tempted to buy it but have found a useable in between solution with the Axe Fx III. My focus is to avoid other pedals and plugins as much as possible.

Reactions: yek
it's really not that difficult. just rig up a switch to the delay hold with the delay mix at 100% and a short (100ms) delay. run the delay into an ambient plex. hold down the switch, play a chord and then lift/depress to capture it. just decide if you want to run everything in series (no dry sound when actually playing the chord), or in parallel, so you can hear the chord when you play it and you can jam over the pad.

tweak the delay time, eq and modulation. tweak the plex decay time. smile and be happy.

it's really not that difficult. just rig up a switch to the delay hold with the delay mix at 100% and a short (100ms) delay. run the delay into an ambient plex. hold down the switch, play a chord and then lift/depress to capture it. just decide if you want to run everything in series (no dry sound when actually playing the chord), or in parallel, so you can hear the chord when you play it and you can jam over the pad.

tweak the delay time, eq and modulation. tweak the plex decay time. smile and be happy.

I remember you having an excellent sounding "freeze" effect from the good ole ultra days. IIRC it was even better than the above demos imo :)

That's what I've done as well on the III (with a Plex Delay). And you can add chorus, tremolo, reverb etc. to create the ambience.
I did block the direct signal to only hear the effected level. I'll try your preset as well Yek!

Would it be possible to control a volume block to "open" on input (envelope follower)? I tried it but it didn't work.

Here you go:

based on Simeon's tips and further tweaking.

Use a pedal or switch assigned to External Controller 1 (engages Delay block and Hold).

I get an EMPTY preset when dragging, importing or using Fractool (Axe Fx III)?

Yes, Axe-Fx III, firmware 2.05 Public Beta (released today).

Back
Top Bottom