Sustain......how without the reverb hold?

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
I am looking for a sustain pedal, or effect (using one or more blocks) in the Axe Fx iii. I know the reverb hold will "capture" the input at the moment in time you press the hold button (by attaching it to a button on your FC);

is there anything else that can provide sustain or hold? -- I'm looking for something in an fx block, not in an amp/cab

Thanks!
AJ

feed a delay into a reverb or plex at 100% in a side chain and then control the feedback of the delay. you can get clever and control the input gain of the delay at the same time as the feedback level so they work in opposite directions - with feedback at 100% input gain is at 0% and vice versa

feed a delay into a reverb or plex at 100% in a side chain and then control the feedback of the delay. you can get clever and control the input gain of the delay at the same time as the feedback level so they work in opposite directions - with feedback at 100% input gain is at 0% and vice versa

Thanks for this! I'm adding it to the very long list of things to work on.

(The list just keeps getting longer since every time I cut the Axe III on and tune up, I realize that at the top of the list is that I really need to work on my playing.)

Would like a preset with your ideas put into practice, if anyone can simplify it - you can!
ive been waiting for a preset which does the game changer audio plus pedal thing for years.👍🏻 Happy to donate .

i created a patch a bit like the gamechanger. it's not too hard. especially if you set up a momentary footswitch. just feed a delay into a plex (both at 100% mix) in a sidechain and then set up the switch to work on the delay feedback (or hold) and the input gain. takes a bit of fiddling about to get the delay to capture some audio on press and then repeat it infinitely on release, but it's do-able. the two functions just have to work in reverse - when you're capturing audio, hold is off (or feedback is at zero) and input gain is at max (doesn't matter if you're using hold)....and vice versa.

Reactions: ESW
i found the preset. i have it setup so CS5 on my FC12 is a momentary switch. just press it for a second or two while playing a chord to capture it. capturing another chord will erase the first one etc.

to stop the sustained chord, just hit and hold the switch for a few seconds while not playing anything

oh, i also have external 1 attached to the volume block. shunt it if you get no sound at all

Attachments

• Infinite Hold.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 51
Thanks, Just not had chance to switch my gear on this week. I plan on putting a few hours aside tomorrow though... 👍🏻

sorry. completely forget to get around to making a clip. did you manage to try it out?

If only we had a way to get the same “freeze” result from a single Delay block, without needing the additional Plex Delay to smoothen the sound and make the gaps disappear. Tried various things but can’t do it without the Plex. Ideas? Would your wish to reverse delay repeats solve this?

try it with a reverb block instead of a delay block

also try turning up diffusion and diffusion time in the delay block. use a stereo delay with the times offset, will also help to blur the repeats - edit - just tried this and it doesn't work. i guess the smoothest single block option is the reverb

i prefer the delay + plex option, as it just sounds the nicest imo

btw, i've made a whole bunch of presets recently utilising delay hold and envelope. i've been watching a lot of vids about boutique effects pedals that glitch, or granulate incoming audio and have been trying to replicate some of those effects. i'll put some of them in the bundle i make available for download. (which will be "soon")

Last edited:
try it with a reverb block instead of a delay block

also try turning up diffusion and diffusion time in the delay block. use a stereo delay with the times offset, will also help to blur the repeats - edit - just tried this and it doesn't work. i guess the smoothest single block option is the reverb

Yes, true. But I was trying to combine several things in a single delay block to save CPU etc. Can’t have it all, I guess. :)

I had a play, and really like your effort and it was a good base for me to start from. I changed a few things, I was mainly after an overdriven tone that could hold a single note (a la solo) and then play over the top. The tricky part/issue is the the washy reverb sound which is attributed to the way the note is being held. The more a tweaked the preset to get rid of the plex/reverb artifact, the more modifiers I needed to adjust the volume levels with the hold function and without, especially the fade in & out between effect on and then off.
I have an expression pedal in "pedal 2" direct into the axe III set to "momentary" This one pedal controls all the modifiers.
If I can attach a file have a go....

Attachments

• Infinite Hold PJ Simeon 3.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
btw, i've made a whole bunch of presets recently utilising delay hold and envelope. i've been watching a lot of vids about boutique effects pedals that glitch, or granulate incoming audio and have been trying to replicate some of those effects. i'll put some of them in the bundle i make available for download. (which will be "soon")

I for one can't wait to check some of those out!

Back
Top Bottom