Surprise of a lifetime

Rich G.

Experienced
One of my band mates got me real good tonight. Did not see this coming at all...

Joe Travers is Joe Satriani’s drummer for this year’s tour. He was also the drummer for Zappa plays Zappa. He’s from my home town of Erie, PA. He’s back home for a little time off. While he’s here his family is having a birthday party for him to celebrate a milestone birthday. They hired my band to play the gig. Got me to thinking it might be cool to learn a Satch song. Maybe have him come up and play? I got working on Summer Song. Told the guys to learn it and we’ll play it. After a couple weeks in the woodshed I finally got it to the point where I can play it up to speed comfortably. We scheduled a practice for tonight so we could play it together before the gig.

I’m in the basement getting things ready for practice. I hear a car door close so I go outside to see who’s here. I get outside and see my drummer walking down the driveway with Joe Travers. I was stunned! I couldn’t believe my drummer brought Satch’s drummer to practice a Satch song with us!

We played through it four times. We were joking around with him saying “starts with three hat hits then a tap-tap on the snare. Keep it bouncy. Follow me for the changes”. Lol. Joe gave it the thumbs up says we’re good to go.

What a great experience. Had a fun time tonight at practice that I never saw coming.

....I had no idea Joe Travers did the tour with Satrianithis time...of course joe has been tight with stunt guitarist/keyboard wiz Mike Kenally and bassist Beller..forever...Satriani is basically using Dweezils band from twenty plus years ago.....great story, and Joe is a hoot, looking forward to seeing him this fall when I visit California on a Zappa-related field trip...(don’t ask)

....I had no idea Joe Travers did the tour with Satrianithis time...of course joe has been tight with stunt guitarist/keyboard wiz Mike Kenally and bassist Beller..forever...Satriani is basically using Dweezils band from twenty plus years ago.....great story, and Joe is a hoot, looking forward to seeing him this fall when I visit California on a Zappa-related field trip...(don’t ask)

He is a hoot! :) lots of energy and fun to be around.

He was on tour with Eric Johnson last year and shortly after that he got the Satriani gig. He did the 2018 G3 Tour that included John Petrucci & Phil Collen. He'll be doing the G4 Experience.

Back
Top Bottom