Surface Pro

slinky005

Power User
Looking at getting an older version (Suface Pro 3) to incorporate into my setup.
Currently I use an Asus Transformer Book.
I trigger samples from my foot pedal and the audio goes through my Axe all using the Axe as my audio / midi interface.

I'm pretty good at troubleshooting but I'm totally stumped.
It was working fine until I went a rehearsal and samples would not trigger.
Brought it home and it worked perfectly.
All this to say I'm ready to move up to a more Pro tablet.
This one is miles ahead of the Asus (which worked perfectly specs-wise) in terms of power and specs.
Found a very good deal at Bestbuy for a refurbished one.
I typically always buy new - wondering if it's still a good way to go for this type of electronic.

Has anyone used a Surface for music to any success?

I have been using a Surface Pro 3 for two years, but not for music... so my reply may not be all that useful to you.

I absolutely adore the form factor, the fast booting, and the performance. It resulted in my hyper-high-end laptop sitting in the corner and gathering dust. I traveled with it to Asia and it has served me incredibly well.

However, about two months ago, the "surface type cover" keyboard stopped working. I went to buy a replacement cover/keyboard but it also didn't work (though it was brand new). In short, the Surface Pro's keyboard interface (or some other internal thing) failed. My Surface Pro is now reduced to tablet-mode only, and I cannot make any use of that (my intended use was and continues to be to use it as an ultra-portable full-fledged laptop).

I miss it sorely. One day, I may be tempted to get another one... but I worry that the failed keyboard will happen again, essentially turning my Surface into a brick. A google search shows that it's a frequent problem.

Just thought I'd share that...

I have been using a Surface Pro 3 for two years, but not for music... so my reply may not be all that useful to you.

I absolutely adore the form factor, the fast booting, and the performance. It resulted in my hyper-high-end laptop sitting in the corner and gathering dust. I traveled with it to Asia and it has served me incredibly well.

However, about two months ago, the "surface type cover" keyboard stopped working. I went to buy a replacement cover/keyboard but it also didn't work (though it was brand new). In short, the Surface Pro's keyboard interface (or some other internal thing) failed. My Surface Pro is now reduced to tablet-mode only, and I cannot make any use of that (my intended use was and continues to be to use it as an ultra-portable full-fledged laptop).

I miss it sorely. One day, I may be tempted to get another one... but I worry that the failed keyboard will happen again, essentially turning my Surface into a brick. A google search shows that it's a frequent problem.

Just thought I'd share that...
Wow - definitely food for thought.
What about a bluetooth keyboard?
I know it won't look as pretty but I assume one could save some cash going that route.

Last edited:
I ready use a bluetooth mouse, and my one attempt at adding a Bluetooth keyboard was a disaster... The mouse became slow as molasses in Syberia. I gave up on the idea, though there are probably solutions to have two Bluetooth devices play nicely... But even then, it means carrying a separate item (the keyboard) whereas a functioning Surface with its cover/keyboard is oh so elegant. I'm just so mad that my Surface keyboard interface died... And I can't find any repair shop who will even attempt to fix that (the Surface us *not* built for ease of repair)

I bought a surface go recently and I dig it. 10" size full on computer is pretty awesome. It's a little under spec'ed and it shows from time to time, but nothing outrageous. I'm also coming off using a 15" MacBook pro touch bar.... So pretty much anything is gonna seem slow. Shortly after I settled into using this one my company got me a Samsung Galaxy book. Specs are a hell of a lot better but I don't like the form factor as much. The built in kick stand on the surface is just beautiful, the book cover on the Samsung is limiting and the trackpad gives me hell on anything other than a firm flat surface.

I bought a surface go recently and I dig it. 10" size full on computer is pretty awesome. It's a little under spec'ed and it shows from time to time, but nothing outrageous. I'm also coming off using a 15" MacBook pro touch bar.... So pretty much anything is gonna seem slow. Shortly after I settled into using this one my company got me a Samsung Galaxy book. Specs are a hell of a lot better but I don't like the form factor as much. The built in kick stand on the surface is just beautiful, the book cover on the Samsung is limiting and the trackpad gives me hell on anything other than a firm flat surface.
Since I only need it for Axe Edit and to do some light sample streaming i'm sure the go is enough for me. Any idea if using a hub for music applications would be an issue?
Also can you use an extended monitor on the Go?

Since I only need it for Axe Edit and to do some light sample streaming i'm sure the go is enough for me. Any idea if using a hub for music applications would be an issue?
Also can you use an extended monitor on the Go?

I don't believe a hub would cause any problems, and it can definitely use an external monitor.

Back
Top Bottom