Surface Pro perfect edit solution?

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
As much as I have been wanting an iOS editor it just doesn't seem like it is going to happen. It got me thinking wouldn't a Microsoft surface pro be perfect? It runs Windows and has a USB port. Anyone using one?

I think it would be overkill. I use a inexpensive ASUS netbook running Windows 8 and it works perfectly. Screen is large enough to see well. Sits on top of my rack with a wireless connection to my home network.

Works great... You can also Remote Desktop in from an iPad so if you really want Axe-Edit on an iPad it works surprisingly well.

Anyhow, I grabbed a docking station for the music room so could leave my AxeFx, RJM MMGT, Behringer XR18, and additional monitor plugged in. Slick just drop it in and ready to go.

Before found a great deal on the docking station used a small unpowered USB 3.0 hub and had no issues having AxeFX, MMGT, and XR18 through it.

Cheers

It runs Windows and has a USB port. Anyone using one?

I work in IT and we are launching a project for Dynamics CRM that leverages Windows 10 and the Surface Pro 4's. The Pro 4's are incredible devices especially with Windows Hello. You can simply present your face to the infrared (built-in) camera to log in. Not a big deal on the consumer front I know, but at an enterprise that locks your device after 15 minutes of inactivity (PCI & other security requirements), it is super handy. It may be a hint of overkill, but would definitely work just fine for recording and using the Fractal software(s).

Great device, the only thing to keep in mind is the resolution is ridiculously high (2736x1824). That will make some of the functionality in Axe-Edit potentially difficult. I will be testing it out next week here at home hopefully but great device overall.

I work in IT and we are launching a project for Dynamics CRM that leverages Windows 10 and the Surface Pro 4's. The Pro 4's are incredible devices especially with Windows Hello. You can simply present your face to the infrared (built-in) camera to log in. Not a big deal on the consumer front I know, but at an enterprise that locks your device after 15 minutes of inactivity (PCI & other security requirements), it is super handy. It may be a hint of overkill, but would definitely work just fine for recording and using the Fractal software(s).

Great device, the only thing to keep in mind is the resolution is ridiculously high (2736x1824). That will make some of the functionality in Axe-Edit potentially difficult. I will be testing it out next week here at home hopefully but great device overall.
Awesome

Did you get a chance to test it?

I use one all the time. I love it. Only problem is double-clicking to bypass blocks doesn't really work that well. But if you have a keyboard, you can just use the spacebar for it.

Did you get a chance to test it?

Okay, finally had some time. It was great, processed fast and I'm even posting on it right now. I tested both the surface pro 4 and the surface book. Both felt great and interacted very smoothly. Here's some stuff:

720154DA-F92C-40F8-8837-83AC5F54B32B_zpsnzhwimvm.jpg

CDDB06A7-95C4-4B3A-B641-C642C42AEAF5_zps7yqizwkp.jpg

471F20AF-2716-40F6-8B3A-97A3460C4FD0_zpskbpkmwd0.jpg

8EAE6D90-77A1-49B3-9503-19CE595C5CCF_zpslzgic5op.jpg

B0B307E5-B984-4DA6-92DE-285EFD186956_zpszvnpgfge.jpg

Here's a quick video of a preset I built on the Surface Pro 4:

Hope that helps!!

I've been using my Surface 3 with Axe Edit and Fractal Bot for about a week now and it's pretty incredible. The only thing that's odd is when I run it in Tablet mode, selecting a Value field does not cause the virtual keyboard to automatically pop up as is the case with every other program I've used on it.

I also started using a stylus (cheap one from my iPad) because it makes selecting and changing values a bit smoother for me.

The one thing I wish Axe Edit had was a pop up value field for all parameters so you can simply type in the number.

On some parameters this doesn't happen and you have to use the dial which can be annoying.

As much as I have been wanting an iOS editor it just doesn't seem like it is going to happen. It got me thinking wouldn't a Microsoft surface pro be perfect? It runs Windows and has a USB port. Anyone using one?

I've been using the Surface Pro with Axe Edit (and AX8 Edit) for months. Runs great. I have it connected to a TV mounted on the wall in my music room.

It only has 1 USB port, so I have a powered USB hub. I use a keyboard and mouse with it for editing. Too difficult (and a large test of patience) for editing to use the touch screen.

I've been using the Surface Pro with Axe Edit (and AX8 Edit) for months. Runs great. I have it connected to a TV mounted on the wall in my music room.

It only has 1 USB port, so I have a powered USB hub. I use a keyboard and mouse with it for editing. Too difficult (and a large test of patience) for editing to use the touch screen.
I want them for editing with a touch screen otherwise I just get a net book. The stylus idea was a good and might work

Back
Top Bottom