Surface Pro 2 with Axe Fx?

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
Has anybody used the axe fx 2 via USB into a surface pro 2? I've been kicking around getting a surface for an easy way to record, edit video, general mobile computing and I want to make sure the axe fx will work via USB. I plan to use Reaper for recording.

I have not tried recording yet as been very busy working recently but here are a few observations on it. I want it to be good so bad and I try so hard to like it as great idea but MS still isn't quite there yet and I find myself wasting time researching computer 101 issues constantly.

most of what my heartache are not Win 8.1 issues... Personally I can tolerate Win8.1 and even like it over Win7 at times on the surface as long as have classic shell installed as I'm primarily in the desktop and it augments touch nicely.

-Ships with zoom at 150%, if I recall you need to reduce to 125% to see entire axe-edit screen (or use to ).
-No connectivity problems with AxeFX ever, never an issue with Axe-Edit or AxeFX firmware updates
-I have zero problems with my eyes up close but I needed to reduce zoom and it's even small to me at times, there is no simple pinch to zoom in desktop so it's seems all or nothing
-Get the type keyboard and you will likely need a mouse, touchpad is responsive but clicking difficult if not on solid surface
-It's very powerful... I've had Netflix, Visual Studio, Xojo, and Ableton all doing things without flinching
-Single USB port so likely need to get hub or docking station ( no experience with either )
-Get the 256 model or higher... 128GB is very small plus you get an extra 4gb of memory bringing it to 8gb

I like it for the most part but here are some major flaws... Maybe third generation will be the charm...
-Single USB port... Okay get a Bluetooth mouse right? Wrong! What a POS, it will become unusable under even the slightest wifi network load or slightly moderate CPU load. Search google for surface pro 2 mouse lag... I finally had to get a USB mouse the other day couldn't stand it anymore...
-adaptive brightness... Wth, screen brightness abruptly changes, this isn't a subtle fade in/out. You can turn it off and still does it to lesser amount So then you have to go into power management and fix the brightness for AC/battery and still does it sometimes. Like when apps with white background opens it gets brighter... Good what I need is a brighter white and darker black.
-MS finally resolved the shutdown toaster issue (mostly)
-Every flipping patch Tuesday/surface firmware update is a major issue of some sorts... really how hard is it to qa your own flipping hardware... I would think the surface would be a tier one platform for MS being their only platform... assuming it is teir one their qa team simply sucks floppy donkey dicks.
-frequently after reboots keyboard doesn't work until you pull it off and reattach

Alright enough... I do like it and the form factor, I would probably get again even with all the imperfections. It's my main PC these days, however have seriously considered jumping ship for the Lenovo yoga line many times. It's powerful, works extremely well when it works, but even being a serious power user I get dumbfounded on the amount of effort sometime required for things that should just work.

Hope so! Went a bit overboard so don't take what turned into a rant the wrong way. It's a great, powerful, little machine when it wants to be as long as you go into it with the expectation it will be a major PITA at times.

I have a surface pro 128GB (1st generation) and simply do not have the issues that jjozwia has. The axe and the surface work wonderful well together. I have an old xoom bluetooth keyboard and mouse which works well with the surface (no lag of any kind ). I have no problems with scaling as axe edit fits perfectly on the surface screen (have not touched the scalling settings).

The surface has a magnetic bottom and it sticks impressively to the axe itself - its great.

128Gb is more than adequate for most peoples needs.

windows 8.1 is a revelation on a touch screen pc - horrible on a normal desktop but great on the surface.

you will need a keyboard and mouse however (its certainly useful)

I have not noticed the screen brightness on mine (just keep it out of power saving mode).

the only issue i had with mine is if i was running youtube along with the axe fx 2 and without the surface being powered that i would have the surface crashing. Its fine when powered and fine when just surface and the axe but when playing youtube for some reason it would crash when run on battery power.

Simply amazing... it's another serious PITA moment with it. Today the march firmware release installed on my SP2 (and failed like so many of MS' other firmware updates for this device) now it's really hosed... yet again. Screen brightness which was mostly under control is once again a serious issue, runs very warm to touch and not doing anything, similar to the December update which MS eventually pulled, on screen keyboard pops up if touch regardless of having the type keyboard attached. I'm very jealous sunshinewelly, I'm wasting my time once again with this love/hate relationship with the damn thing rather than doing something productive. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom