Superior Drummer 3 looks amazing!

Looks promising. I agree EZ drummer has a pretty good interface and I really like the song creator. I ended up using Steven Slate Drums though because even though the interface is super outdated, I found it easier to get good sounds quicker. If Superior solves that problem too, then I think we might have a winner.

I have Steven Slate 3.5 and 4.0. Can't stand the interface and I actually think the kits sounds really dark and flat.
IT does have the best kicks though....

This looks amazing, but I think it's entirely overkill for what I need while EZ Drummer isn't nearly flexible enough. I'd love to be able to buy just the core plugin without the sounds and import my existing SDX's. I certainly don't need 230 gb of sounds.

There are upgrade options....
And those upgrade prices are only an arm and half a leg, as opposed to the arm and a leg for people new to the program.
If i can find a decent discount, i may grab it, but i have a lot of options already.

This one is very promising. I've always been torn because I like EZ drummer tap to find but then I convert to Superior Drummer once the project is underway. Then switch out snares and ride cymbals from NI Studio Drummer. SD3 allows you to import your own samples so I can build a custom kit using my Studio Drummer Rides and snares. Now SD3 has tap to find and the MIDI edit grid and velocity maps looks crazy good. Audio to MIDI conversion and 11:1 surround room mics... gotta' say this one is super interesting.

Not to mention the ability to import sampled drum tracks into the app and have it figure out what kit pieces are playing what then allowing you to make a midi file of it to do what ever you like with.

I'm most intrested in the audio to midi function, if that works as good as other options, this will be on my shopping list for sure. Thomann often has had the best price with Superior2, I hope that trend will continue.

I'm most intrested in the audio to midi function, if that works as good as other options, this will be on my shopping list for sure. Thomann often has had the best price with Superior2, I hope that trend will continue.

+1

I use Slate Trigger 2 for this now and it does a great job. But it's monophonic.

I'm looking forward to this, the audio to midi function is especially tasty for multiple scenarios. I have both SD2 and EZ2 but use EZ2 a lot more for workflow reasons. This could be my main goto drum software.

It's out today!
I downloaded the plugin and tried it with the old libraries. It really is amazing. Fantastic bit of kit.
I have the new sound libraries downloading. The basics are 40gigs. It's the bleed Mics that are the killer of you even want them and I think they're around 60gig.

Impressed so far apart from the fact it still continues to have no mapping presets for other products.

Impressed so far apart from the fact it still continues to have no mapping presets for other products.

Is it easier to make MIDI maps? Do you have to make them within SD3 or can you make them from text documents like REAPER? I own XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2, Toontrack SD2 and a Roland TD-20 V-Drum kit, so I use AD2 for simplicity because it has built in mapping presets for the Roland TD-20 V-Drum kit and many others and I've found it a lot easier to program the Hi-Hat CC#4 to make it sound more natural when opening and closing. I really like how AD2 shows the Hi-Hat CC#4 movement and divides it into multiple ranges, so I can adjust it. I personally like the sound and tone shaping I can do with SD2 though.

So I finally finished downloading a bulk of the libraries and they sound fantastic. On par with the quality and slickness you get from Studio Drummer. It's sounds as good as it looks IMO.

I use EZ Player to convert everything and it works a treat but they really should have included that functionality with it....
It has a bunch of presets for electronic drums and there is a preset just labeled "Roland"
The mapping feature does seem quite powerful though. I have and HD-1 kit and always appreciated Addictive Drums as they seemed to focus on electronic drummers functionality. However it's been years since I picked up the sticks. In fact I can't even play a 4/4 beat. I'm like a frustrated 3 year old on a drum kit. (This is why I adore EZ Drummers song creator for inspirational starting points)

Here's and ultra quick video I did just twiddling some knobs to a 5 year old project I plan on re-recording with my new found wisdom.

There are options to only load what needed and stuff like that but so far the average is around a gig and up to around 2.5 gigs.
It does depend if your using the bleeds or room mics too....

Back
Top Bottom