Super wobbly USB type B slot

USB-C is smaller, and an empirically more durable port.

I dunno. As has been posted in this thread by someone else, USB C ports seem to be prone to becoming ludicrously loose easily. All 4 on my last Mac came so loose that I had a hard time keeping the power cable in. I baby my stuff too. Never had that issue with any other USB port, just USB C.

I dunno. As has been posted in this thread by someone else, USB C ports seem to be prone to becoming ludicrously loose easily. All 4 on my last Mac came so loose that I had a hard time keeping the power cable in. I baby my stuff too. Never had that issue with any other USB port, just USB C.

I'm not so sure that loose-ness is related to durability, strictly speaking. I probably should've clarified, but when I use "durability" I mean "how many times can this thing be plugged and unplugged before is stops connecting successfully". USB-C is rated at 10,000+ cycles, almost all the previous connectors are something like only 1,500 cycles or so, although I think Micro-USB is also rated at 10K cycles (Source)

Seriously? What amount of extra cost would it take to do this right. Imho ANY connector being critically used ALOT, should be robust as possible. Add 10 bucks onto my cost. I`ll pay it. I guarantee you Fractal would make money.... and we`d get a better more robust product. Unless they really like doing Warranty work. hehhehhhe I doubt Fractals to blame though. I can imagine some Production Manager in Chinas looking at ways to cut his cost = make more profit..., so he throws in a few cheaper parts maybe. Course this is not good for Fractal ultimately.

I'm not so sure that loose-ness is related to durability, strictly speaking. I probably should've clarified, but when I use "durability" I mean "how many times can this thing be plugged and unplugged before is stops connecting successfully". USB-C is rated at 10,000+ cycles, almost all the previous connectors are something like only 1,500 cycles or so, although I think Micro-USB is also rated at 10K cycles (Source)
I'd guess that a couple of ports on my Mac had little more than a dozen cycles of plugging and unplugging before the connector would fall out if I looked at it the wrong way. I'd rather have a connection that wobbles but stays put than one that won't maintain a connection. USB C really isn't the answer.

The 2017 MBP I used to use for work had the same problem. The two I've had since have been rock solid. I plug and unplug shit into my laptops several times a day (TB dock, eGPU, external keyboard, etc). After a year the ports on both the 15" I use for work and my personal 16" are still super tight and secure. I'm not sure what happened with the first round of USB-C only Macs, but their USB-C ports were super janky. I don't think it's a problem with USB-C, but specifically a problem with Apple's ports during those first couple gens after the switch to USBC

Back
Top Bottom