Super wobbly USB type B slot

Peplogic

Hello. Checking to see if i am out of the norm. The usb type b slot on the back of the fm3 is loose...so loose i am afraid the port will break on the back. I have never quite seen anything like this on any electronic device.

Is it supposed to be this way?

Any one else have this issue as well

My USB B port is very loose. The port itself isn’t loose from the chassis; It seems to be the port itself. At first I thought it might be the cable, but it fits snug in my M-Audio midi controller and my printer.

i cant understand why a $1000 device wiuld be engineered that way.....i can almost feel the warrenty work coming

The usb type b slot on the back of the fm3 is loose...so loose i am afraid the port will break on the back. I have never quite seen anything like this on any electronic device.
If you don't think your USB connector is right, contact Fractal support. They'll take care of you.

Geez didn't the ax8 have similar issues?
In four years of production, one user reported a loose USB jack. So, no.

Do you think the wobbling is caused by bad solder joints on the main board? Maybe that's something that could be fixed by Fractal before they ship the units out.

The USB jack on my FM3 and Axe-FX III are the same amount of "wobbly" fwiw.
Haven't had any issues yet with either, fwiw.

The only USB issue I ever had with music gear was an old FW1884 control surface I had years ago. I somehow managed to plug in the usb cable in upside down or sideways (waaay too much space or something in that one) and it let out the magic smoke when I powered on. :/

maybe you want a little bit of flex in the jack so it doesn't crack the circuit board or something if it gets pulled on to hard ? Doesn't seem much in the FAS world is designed without purpose

Reactions: Rex
Well, you said that only one user ever reported a loose USB jack on the AX8 in four years, therefore it wasn't a thing. I'm saying that more than one user did, and it was a thing. :)
Understood. Until your post, I had only heard of one instance.

So, I've just come across the "wobbly usb" phenomenon.
It was not loose before and suddenly it is.
I looked at some other usb ports on HXFX, AX8 and others and a piece seems to be missing on my FM3.
First pic is the FM3...you can see some sort of center plug is present on the other ports.
Can anyone else confirm their wobbly port looks like mine?
20200529_102058.jpg
20200529_102107.jpg
20200529_102129.jpg

That looks like a broken USB port :oops:
I've seen that happen more times than I can count on Type-B ports.
I really wish the audio industry would move away from it, it's notoriously fragile.

Back
Top Bottom