Super overdrive - still my favorite

I love it, too. A mainstay for goosing a Marshall amp. I used one a lot when I had a pedalboard into
tube amp setup. Still have that beat up and worn little yellow box. :)

Seems folks here are more than smitten with that "Clean boost" Klon-thing-a-ma-bobby at the moment, though.

It'll pass. :)

I love it, too. A mainstay for goosing a Marshall amp. I used one a lot when I had a pedalboard into
tube amp setup. Still have that beat up and worn little yellow box. :)

Seems folks here are more than smitten with that "Clean boost" Klon-thing-a-ma-bobby at the moment, though.

It'll pass. :)
I don't think so....That Klon is significantly different in great ways.

Check out Leon's video!

It has staying power for sure!

And for sure I totally agree a decent drive in front of a Fender is pure bliss!!

I am a contrarian, don't dig those kind of tones, and am here just having fun as the hype train rolls through Fractlandia. :)

It's a neat little circuit for sure. The Dumble of pedals, with similarly narrow use case scenarios.

Sorry for dragging it into this thread, OP. :(

The SD-1 is definitely my favorite boost for pushing an amp into aggressive territory. After getting the Axe Fx II, I sold my Marshall DSL100 to a buddy I used to jam with. He always felt like he couldn't quite get it to sound the way he liked it-- when I used it. So I told him to buy an SD-1. Of course, he buys multiple OTHER boost pedals and never was satisfied. An SD-1 popped up on craigslist. I convinced him to buy it. And then he had the tone he sought. Lol.

I couldn't ever get the SD-1 to gel with my Marshall. The TS808 worked for me. But my buddy had a JCM800 paired with an SD-1 and it sounded awesome. We swapped pedals and both hated the TS with the JCM800 and his SD-1 with my old JMP1987. I guess it just goes to show there isn't a template and why trying different things is important. Now having said that, I feel like I can get MY tone out of any EL34 amp and a tubescreamer. I wish I had another shot at tweaking around on his JCM800. My ears may not though.

I have an old SD1 I bought in Japan early 80’s. Great pedal. I ended up modding it with a kit. Maybe Keeley but it’s been awhile. My son took it since I favored the OCD. It stopped working and I haven’t been motivated to fix it. Mike Ness used one of those for years but now uses a J Rockett Archer. The Klon hype is a real thing, it does something good to guitar tone into tube amps. Looking forward to it making its way to the FM3.

Apologies for dragging the new drive block into the post.

Last edited:
I saw Poster Children wayyy back in the early 2000s and their singer/guitarist ran a Danelectro into a SD-1 into an Orange half stack and it was INCREDIBLE how good it sounded. Three things I'd normally never touch that somehow worked perfectly together.

Back
Top Bottom