Super High Gain FW 18 Friedman Riff

Mark Day

FAS Artist-in-Residence
Fractal Audio Systems
Another quick work thing. Jamming some 80's style solo tones. Fw18 G3 Friedman model. AxeFx into Tascam ixj2. Some folks liked the Tyketto riff so I thought I would play the solo as well. There's a few clams but what the heck.

SUPER HIGH GAIN WARNING!!!!!

Those of you with keen ears can you spot the "G3 difference"? Listen to when he plays the single note runs high up on the neck.

Seems to me that there is a certain "bloom" if that is the correct term to the individual notes.

Great work Mr. Chase and great work Mr. Day. Again Mark Day's youtube contributions sold me on my Axe FX Ultra years ago and my AXE FX 2 a few year back.

Exceptional work!

Probably wrong but there is a percussive but very clear attack to the notes. Mark has great technique which certainly helps but that's what I am hearing.

It doesn't sound like it's recorded direct. It really sounds like a room mic. I suppose there is some sort of fast pre-delay or ambiance verb on the patch?

The high notes still sound a little pronounced and aggressive to me in the attack. I prefer a softer and squishier attack from the pick. I hope this is possible to achieve with FW18.

It doesn't sound like it's recorded direct. It really sounds like a room mic. I suppose there is some sort of fast pre-delay or ambiance verb on the patch?

The high notes still sound a little pronounced and aggressive to me in the attack. I prefer a softer and squishier attack from the pick. I hope this is possible to achieve with FW18.

I purposely use a 50 or 60ms delay for that in the room tone. The attack is aggressive because I use a Gravity pick that is as hard as a quarter, the top end can be easily smoothed out both by the controls and the playing style. When I play I purposely make the pick chirp the strings, it's what I like :)

I can feel the amp through the guitar more...there is a kind of weight to the notes. Its like setting a brick down on a table, no matter how lightly you try to do it, you can tell its heavy. I don't know any other way to describe it...it is what I feel and hear with my marshall cranked. The highs and lows are definitely right. Maybe its in the compression of the amp; those single notes seem compress the amp as much as a chord...giving them more weight. How about this, ...sounds like a frickin guitar amp. Not only does it sound right, it sounds like it feels right.

Those of you with keen ears can you spot the "G3 difference"? Listen to when he plays the single note runs high up on the neck.

I think I can hear it in the low end when he's picking the three notes at 0:27-0:28. There's a special kind of tube signature to it in the lows when he's picking single notes. So very pleasing to the ear, it must be because I recognize it from playing tube amps. There's a signature thing happening in the lows / pick attack which I only can describe as the audible version of what there is to feel for when playing a tube amp.

this specially occurs when playing leads, even though it's bright notes far up the neck, the feel from it kind of comes from the lows of it all as I see it.

Then there's the thump in 0:12-0:14.

Also, the note he's bending at 0:36-0:38 - the notes sound as if they're packed with 50% more harmonics yet not harsh or shrill, just sweeter,

it's an intense singing note with a kind of almost super sonic but still polished high end to it. it's as if there's some

special sauce (I know you like the term :p ) in there constructing some kind of harmonic bridge between the harmonics in the note making it piercing but still warm in the means of "my ears wants moooore!".

High end, as it should be. It's as if you nailed the dangerous x factor of tube amps - it sounds so good you just want more of it! you know you're gonna blow your ears out, but you don't care - if you can get more of it then it's worth it. that's how I feel about this. I just want to play it from the top of the world and play as loud as possible.

One could bright up all the black holes in the universe with the sweet special sauce from this thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom