Super Beginner Axe-Fx n00b (NEED HELP)

Welcome to the forum and a great purchase, don't forget our one and only Chris's
axefxtutorials

:)

He's got a load of videos and a very nice blog and all kinds of related stuff ..

Welcome mate! Basically what everybody said before me here, nothing much to add :D You'll love the community, awesome people here! Looking forward to hear some stuff from you! ^^

I'm not a newb but just recently rejoined the family after a "hiatus" lol.. I can't get the download to work for Fremans presets, did I do something wrong?

welcome - I´m using Ultra an MkII since 2011. The latest firmwares pushed the sound of the axe into a great sound without many hours of tweaking. I helped a friend with also an POD HD 500 to make better sounds - a hard job, if you compare it with the Axe. A lot of EQ´s which the Axe doesn´t need for a quick, good sound for live and recording.

I also say - simple first - Amp (prefer Amps you know from the real life) and cab, maybe Reverb for a better "amp in the room" feeling.
The factory cabs in the Axe are not so good as they could be - prefer cabs with the Name "ML".
Many Amps sound vey good in the Axe with default settings - to find the right IR´s (cabs) is the harder job, there a are several good producer, also in the forum.

I'm a relative "noob" too. One thing I do is read 90% of the posts on here on just about every subject concerning the Axe. Some of it will not register at first because you won't have any idea of what someone is talking about. But slowly, as you experiment on your own, you'll slowly start understanding more of what's being talked about. I still have a LONG way to go with this thing. But there are so many "out of the box" presets to simply dial up and play that you can enjoy this thing the 1st night.....just read a lot and don't be afraid to ask questions...no matter how simple. People here are very nice and understanding.

I'll go ahead and echo others and say that you should check out the Cooper Carter classes and the AxeFXTutorials videos. Lots of good info there. Of course the forums and the wiki is chock full of all sorts of good tips too.

But I'll say that it's like learning anything else: You can prep yourself with all sorts knowledge and tidbits beforehand, but you'll never learn as much as you can from actually experimenting with things on your own. So I'd say go ahead and make some very simple patches and just get a feel for the unit before going off into any of the more advanced stuff. You might be better off using Axe-Edit at first, but eventually you'll find the front panel works very well too.

Happy tone hunting and welcome aboard!

Fremens presets 95-92 are basic setups with 5 scenes each...from clean to very dirty.
Excellent starting point.
He uses custom cabs in some presets, some commercial and some free, but he also provides an excel file with factory cab alternatives.

thx again fremen :)

Ditto here. Chis, Cooper, and Fremen's presets really opened up the Axe for me. Good Luck, it takes awhile. Also, if you have the means, get some quality monitors, and the Fractal MFC switcher, and a quality guitar. Don't forget to learn how to play guitar in the first place, its easy to get lost in the tweaking aspects.

Hi and welcome.

Start with an Amp and cab block.
Use an amp that you know from real life.

Set all the knobs like you would on the real amp, BUT with the master volume you cannot do this. This is because on real amps the amp makers often use a potentiometer that make the amp sound really loud already on 2-3 "to impress".
Cliff, the maker of the Axe Fx has used the same "virtual potentiometer" for all the models. This is to be able to get a more consistent volume when switching between the different amps in the Axe and, to make it easier to find the Master volume sweet spot for the different amps.
This means that you normally can set the master volume in the Axe a little bit higher than in the real world. Use your ears.

Then you find an IR that suits your tone. Again, Use Your Ears.

Good luck.

You should keep in mind as a beginner, that not the amp is the crucial part of the tone, but the IR (cab). It took me quite of time to realize that.

You'll get a lot of good and different advices here. Try everything out, not everything works for everybody, it depends pretty much on your guitar (e.g. pickups, wood, strings, tuning), playing style, preferences, etc. That's why from maybe 30 downloaded presets from other people only 1 might really work for you.

Here are the things that bothered me at the beginning and a few tips to start with (hopefully it helps you too):

- Amplification: cheap speakers are not as good as a FRFR with a 12" speaker (I bought an active Atomic CLR, there are also other options, chek them out)
- Gain staging: optimize all the inputs and outputs (guitar -> Axe FX -> FRFR), find some tutorials. When building presets, watch for the horizontal VU meter under "Utility", it should not be peaking over 0 dB (very handy for leveling different presets)
- When playing loud/live, cleans are sounding great, high gain (which you're certainly interested in) on the contrary, something is wrong. The solution is simple, it's probably a must for gain tones, low cut and high cut in the cab block (100 Hz - 9000 Hz is good to start with, for djent I believe you can even go like 200 - 6500, it's up to your taste). I recommend the cab #060: 4x12 FRACTAL GB M160 (a recommendation from another forum fellow), it works with about any amp (try some other stock ones anyhow before you start buying IRs. I'm not saying don't buy, just learn the IRs before you do)
- I knew almost nothing about a sound chain and sound engineering (above all about frequencies and "sitting" in a mix with other instruments) before Axe, it's worth to invest some time in it, it really pays back. Check the sound chains, amps, cabs, used effects from your guitar heros. Do they use a compressor or a noise gate, or both (popular in djent)? If you don't know how they work, learn it and apply to your personal taste
- This is my workflow with amp and drive setting: finding the sweet spot on the Master Volume (paraphrasing others: "when you feel the juices start to flow", "until the tone doesn't blossom any more and all you hear is only compression, then back up a little"), on the same page on the front panel there are Presence and Depth ("try turning them all the way down and up to find your optimal settings, this applies to almost all knobs you touch") Bass/Middle/Treble to taste ("like on the real amp...use your ears, not your eyes"), turning the Input drive and Overdrive if present to taste ("less is more", "until it starts fizzing and than back up a bit") and let's end for now with: if the tone is still not focused enough, put a drive block in front of the amp and select T808 OD with drive set to 0 and tone between 8-10 to your taste (note: with the newest Quantum firmware I rarely find a need for this drive block filter trick)
- If you'll be generally using effects like reverbs and delays for the clean parts, unlike in the real world, you may put them at the end of the sound chain. A lot of us do this and I like it better then in front of the amp

Have fun and really use your ears. Your tone has to have an adequate proportion of bass, middle and treble, too less of any of those will lead to an unbalanced product. If you play with a band, craft your tones in the context of a band (like leaving the bass to the bass). Don't bother with advanced parameters before you gather enough experience with the main controll knobs (those on real amps). It also helps a lot to tweak via front panel instead of Axe Edit, you'll have more precision in finding the sweet spots.
Thanks a bunch! This will help tons!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom