Super Beginner Axe-Fx n00b (NEED HELP)

Hey guys!

Completely new to this forum, and a VERY new owner of an Axe-Fx II Mk II. I honestly have zero knowledge of how to dial in a good tone or how to work this thing at all. Any and all help would be VERY much appreciated! Post comments, links to helpful videos if you have some(which seem to be hard to find, for me anyway), or anything else that would help a novice like me start to learn his was around the Axe-Fx and begin figuring out how to make a nice tone. (Looking for tones for deathcore and djent, btw)

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Read the manual slowly, deliberately and often. Download the PDF, you'll use the search function often. This will help you build your vocabulary/terminology base for further searching and helping you ask the right questions. Seriously, that's how I got from zero to Mach Chicken fairly quickly. Lotsa cross-referencing and comparing.

Welcome aboard! All very good advice posted in this thread, helped me loads. Also check what firmware is on the device as it may need an update if it isn't on the latest Quantum FW. This will help you a lot with ease of finding that tone.

What Brownmatthall said. Dial up a simple amp & cab, and don't worry about anything except the controls that would be on a regular amp... bass/mid/treble, drive, master volume, and level (which doesn't affect the tone, just the volume). Or find a nice heavy preset in the list (there are many ;-) and start dialing the amp from there.

You should keep in mind as a beginner, that not the amp is the crucial part of the tone, but the IR (cab). It took me quite of time to realize that.

You'll get a lot of good and different advices here. Try everything out, not everything works for everybody, it depends pretty much on your guitar (e.g. pickups, wood, strings, tuning), playing style, preferences, etc. That's why from maybe 30 downloaded presets from other people only 1 might really work for you.

Here are the things that bothered me at the beginning and a few tips to start with (hopefully it helps you too):

- Amplification: cheap speakers are not as good as a FRFR with a 12" speaker (I bought an active Atomic CLR, there are also other options, chek them out)
- Gain staging: optimize all the inputs and outputs (guitar -> Axe FX -> FRFR), find some tutorials. When building presets, watch for the horizontal VU meter under "Utility", it should not be peaking over 0 dB (very handy for leveling different presets)
- When playing loud/live, cleans are sounding great, high gain (which you're certainly interested in) on the contrary, something is wrong. The solution is simple, it's probably a must for gain tones, low cut and high cut in the cab block (100 Hz - 9000 Hz is good to start with, for djent I believe you can even go like 200 - 6500, it's up to your taste). I recommend the cab #060: 4x12 FRACTAL GB M160 (a recommendation from another forum fellow), it works with about any amp (try some other stock ones anyhow before you start buying IRs. I'm not saying don't buy, just learn the IRs before you do)
- I knew almost nothing about a sound chain and sound engineering (above all about frequencies and "sitting" in a mix with other instruments) before Axe, it's worth to invest some time in it, it really pays back. Check the sound chains, amps, cabs, used effects from your guitar heros. Do they use a compressor or a noise gate, or both (popular in djent)? If you don't know how they work, learn it and apply to your personal taste
- This is my workflow with amp and drive setting: finding the sweet spot on the Master Volume (paraphrasing others: "when you feel the juices start to flow", "until the tone doesn't blossom any more and all you hear is only compression, then back up a little"), on the same page on the front panel there are Presence and Depth ("try turning them all the way down and up to find your optimal settings, this applies to almost all knobs you touch") Bass/Middle/Treble to taste ("like on the real amp...use your ears, not your eyes"), turning the Input drive and Overdrive if present to taste ("less is more", "until it starts fizzing and than back up a bit") and let's end for now with: if the tone is still not focused enough, put a drive block in front of the amp and select T808 OD with drive set to 0 and tone between 8-10 to your taste (note: with the newest Quantum firmware I rarely find a need for this drive block filter trick)
- If you'll be generally using effects like reverbs and delays for the clean parts, unlike in the real world, you may put them at the end of the sound chain. A lot of us do this and I like it better then in front of the amp

Have fun and really use your ears. Your tone has to have an adequate proportion of bass, middle and treble, too less of any of those will lead to an unbalanced product. If you play with a band, craft your tones in the context of a band (like leaving the bass to the bass). Don't bother with advanced parameters before you gather enough experience with the main controll knobs (those on real amps). It also helps a lot to tweak via front panel instead of Axe Edit, you'll have more precision in finding the sweet spots.

I had a Pod HD. And ok! I'll mess around with stuff!

Welcome to the Axe my friend! I am just about a month ahead of you on the curve, coming from an HD 500x as well. One of the first things that you will notice about this beast is that you will have to tweak sooo much less than you did before with your HD. People in the HD forums lived off of PEQs to get a tone sounding as right as that box could deliver. Even though PEQs obviously have their usage, you just won't need them anywhere near like what you did before to get a good tone. Personally, I went thru all the factory presets and Fremens and landed on quite a few that worked really well without any tweaking at all for my guitar with passive pickups. My active pickup guitar, well I'm still working on tweaking those presets to sound just as good.

Welcome aboard.
To add to what's been said --.
KEEP IT SIMPLE !!
DO NOT dive into the advanced parameter tweaking of the amp block unless you know what you are doing.. STAY on the "Basic" page until you get comfortable with the unit. You can get VERY deep if you want, or swim on the surface.

enjoy! oh... and don't forget to stop for food every now and again...

Back
Top Bottom