Summer Hacks (potential solution!)

Akstrat

Experienced
I'm about to embark on another summer of gigs out in the sun. I have always struggled with seeing my board, AX8, FM3/FC6, and now my FC12 in the sun. What tricks do people use in the summer to see their boards in the sun? Pictures are always helpful. I'm sure that we all have this issue?

It's a tough one, LCDs don't do well in the sun. Maybe adjusting their contrast once you're in the situation will help? Otherwise, like @rcm78 said, shade the display.

I've gone to a soft case for the FC12, so not a real good shade. I'm thinking of building a "garage" with that plastic black corrugated cardboard? Maybe a bit of Velco to make it portable?? One of the venues we play is in the afternoon and the sun shifts as the day goes on. F me!

I’m in the same situation. Even worst maybe, working in cruise ships.
I don’t change the contrast or put anything to dim the light cause I play at afternoon and at night also.
Find a way to shade it or hide it behind anything is the best option for me.

I'm thinking of building a "garage" with that plastic black corrugated cardboard? Maybe a bit of Velco to make it portable??
That sounds like the best, cheapest and most versatile approach. I was thinking of maybe 3 separate pieces that I could move one around the FM9 as the sun shifts or velcro them together like the 'garage' idea if it's the middle of the day.

Last edited:
I wish I could say I've done the garage idea already. Been playing night gigs and haven't had the need yet. I do have one afternoon next weekend, so that may be motivation. I'll keep this post going for a bit.

So here’s my latest thought. I had hoped to construct something by now, but not enough time in the day. I had a gig yesterday and during sound check, I knew I was in trouble. I had a music stand in the trailer and had the idea of using it to shade the sun! Worked well and I found that by placing the stand flat and finding the angle of the sun, I could move it to shade my FC12. So sitting here drinking coffee this morning, I started to brainstorm this idea. How about using some type of articulating arm with a light blackout board to shade attached to the top. The sun moves during the show and this would be an easy was to have a lot of flexibility to place the shade where you wanted it. Looked on Amazon and found this example. You would need to build a base to fit under the FC and a light weight shade the size of your board to shield from sun. Thoughts?

1686570925191.jpeg

I bagged the above idea because the articulating arm was a POS. Instead, I looked in my trailer for some stand parts and found a piece of rigid felt. Not sure how the felt will hold up in the sun? I have it baking outside now. I have two gigs this weekend and will report back. In the meantime, let me know what you think of the new "Shade King"!

I should mention, I just used a couple of washers on the bolt. The one underneath was small enough to fit in a mic clip and the wing nut pulled it very tight. It provides for a multitude of positions. The boom can extended and be raised if needed. It can be assembled and broken down very fast. I should have done this years ago!
Shade King.jpg

Nice idea. Was is the frame made of? I had thought of something similar, however, I wanted a bit more flexibility for the setting sun and in case the sun came behind us.

Nice idea. Was is the frame made of? I had thought of something similar, however, I wanted a bit more flexibility for the setting sun and in case the sun came behind us.
1/4" round rod with some 1/8x1 flat for support. it can be bent to shape and I can clip black cloth to it for side shades as needed.
1688669441313.jpeg

I needed to keep the air flow at a maximum, it's not very compact but I just flop it over my FM9 case to carry it to the stage. It's a work-in-progress.

Back
Top Bottom