Suhr vs PRS vs ??

Returned my PRS. Had a weird dead spot on the g string at the 14th. Replacement was very bright and still had something of a dead spot. Then I tried this Suhr and oh my, I love how it sounds and plays. The neck feels so good in the hand too.

n1v4eo.jpg

Nice Pete Thorn. Love that guitar!

I’m interested in your opinion of your fine, fine Suhr as compared to the PRS CE24. I know workmanship on both is top notch. I’m more interested in the neck feel, tremolo, etc. I know the tone will be different as the CE is a bolt on neck. I have several PRS’s and have been considering a Suhr but am hesitant as there is no way for me to try one out locally.

I’m interested in your opinion of your fine, fine Suhr as compared to the PRS CE24. I know workmanship on both is top notch. I’m more interested in the neck feel, tremolo, etc. I know the tone will be different as the CE is a bolt on neck. I have several PRS’s and have been considering a Suhr but am hesitant as there is no way for me to try one out locally.
Both are bolt on necks... I don't have a huge amount of play time yet, but so far for my personal tastes I like the Suhr better for the tone.

I much prefer a Floyd Rose bridge, and the Gotoh is quality. It also came with a brass block that may people will add as an upgrade. I am not a big fan of the PRS trem bar - it feels small to me and the angle is too tight for my tastes. A Floyd equipped PRS would probably be a tie here, but as far as what I have the Suhr would win that one.

The neck feel is hands down the Suhr - it's like there's no finish on there at all. Shape-wise, neither one compares to my favorite Wizard neck profile (and I am really liking the Charvel "speed neck" shape on my DK-24). However both are definitely very playable. Probably just depends on your tastes. The Suhr neck is a more evenly rounded where the pattern thin profile of the PRS seems a bit more V-shaped.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with a Suhr... Although wood choice, pickups, etc will affect the overall end result.

suhr gets a lot more individual attention I think per guitar, way less volume of production than PRS, not as pretty but a sound that's surreal, PRS has the formula down for consistency, zero flaws and all amazing but less magic per guitar, that's unavoidable when you crank that many out every day

Back
Top Bottom