Suhr vs PRS vs ??

Sorry, I just picked that from their FB post, I don't have a Delos. I had a JB200 (with FR) once, and have two 7 string Osiris now. Kiesel is apparently moving away from using FR trems and pushing their own. One of my Osiris' has the Kiesel trem and I'm pretty happy with it. Since the Osiris is headless, it doesn't have the need for a locking nut. So I'm not sure how their own tremolos tuning stability is without a locking nut. I do have lots of other guitars with FR trems and normally also prefer them.
Thanks for the info.

I just checked, the Kiesel Crescent and Aries (6 strings) can still be ordered with FR. Kiesel puts the "original FR" in their models.

http://rahbekguitars.com

More than a few cuts above all the Suhr and PRS guitars that I've tried.
His wood stash is unmatched and his OCD (the good kind) ensures that everything is just new level compared to all the other new level stuff.
Based in Denmark (Scandinavia) but I know Peter Rahbek has build to Ed DeGenaro and other US pros, so he does ship worldwide, and you can spec any feature you'd like.
Nothing basic about his basic models / features, guitars start at 4100$ US

Also check out Simon Gotthelf demo of the Origin Revival Drive, he's playing a strat and a gold top "modern" kind og guitar, both by Rahbek.
The white Classic (HSH) posted under basic models on the Rahbek site is owned by @Smittefar who is an AX8 user and is active here.

Last edited:
Yeah, Peter (Rahbek) definitely makes fabulous guitars. I am visiting him again tomorrow, I shall try to resist ordering another one :)

Mine is an HSS by the way. It's a bit special, as the neck is modeled precisely after my favorite PRS single cut (PRS WideFat profile, 25" length scale), so all his templates and 3D drawings had to be modified to suit the shorter length scale. He was totally down with that.

His wood stash is unmatched and his OCD (the good kind) ensures that everything is just new level compared to all the other new level stuff.
Based in Denmark (Scandinavia) but I know Peter Rahbek has build to Ed DeGenaro and other US pros, so he does ship worldwide, and you can spec any feature you'd like.

Also check out Simon Gotthelf demo of the Origin Revival Drive, he's playing a strat and a gold top "modern" kind og guitar, both by Rahbek.
The white Classic (HSH) posted under basic models on the Rahbek site is owned by @Smittefar who is an AX8 user and is active here.

Thanks. I will take a look when I get a few minutes.

Hey, the headstock looks pretty! Dunno anything about this brand, but it got that right!

Hey, the headstock looks pretty! Dunno anything about this brand, but it got that right!

Peter Rahbek has got everything right, i.e. I like vintage kinds of guitars, a good friend loves PRS guitars and other modern-but-somewhat-traditional types of guitars and a third friend comes from the very modern shred-approved camp guitarwise (MusicMan, Ibanez and Moser), normally we don't like the same guitars, but we all love the 3 Rahbek guitars we tried together.

Another outstanding Kiesel that Jeff just posted.

53668416_2305883146361641_8434693544546926592_o.jpg

Coming back to this thread... Still undecided.

Another couple options:

Schecter USA

Balaguer Guitars (they have a nice custom builder app!)

Feedback on either?

I've owned a couple of PRS in the past - Navarro and a McCarty with a solid rosewood neck. They were nice, especially the Navarro. I don't have them now but I bought a Suhr Modern Plus Curly limited on Thursday last week. I didn't really gel with it - bit buzzy and just slightly off. Not sure why. Maybe I didn't get on with the SS frets. Took it back today and spent an hour trying lots of guitars. Walked out with a Violet PRS CU24 with a pattern regular neck which sounded really nice, and felt like home. Nice and light to at 7lbs 6oz.

That said, there was a lovely modern with a Koa top and Koa neck that was pretty awesome and I liked the Suhr classic too.

If you like Ibanez's, it's probably worth mentioning that PRS guitars typically have rounder fretboard radii and smaller frets. I have a Santana which is flawless, and I love its sound, but I find my Japanese Charvel and custom Jacksons considerably easier to play. Have you considered a Jackson? This one looks pretty nice:
https://reverb.com/item/21171702-ja...-shannon-built-malaysian-blackwood-top-guitar
Yeah... I've played a few PRS aside from the CE-24 I own... Neck profile is definitely not like a Wizard (my preferred choice).

I haven't considered Jackson or Charvel for the same basic reason - I don't usually associate those with the more high end value for money.

I actually kind of thought about the Phil Collen model although gold hardware is not for me... But it's like the Govan Charvel - it seems overpriced.

Returned my PRS. Had a weird dead spot on the g string at the 14th. Replacement was very bright and still had something of a dead spot. Then I tried this Suhr and oh my, I love how it sounds and plays. The neck feels so good in the hand too.

2hsbuww.jpg
Looks very nice. Is that the Pete Thorn?

Back
Top Bottom