Suhr vs PRS vs ??

I wrote a bunch of stuff last night, but I got an error when I posted it and lost it all.

I was gassing hard for a Suhr, also owning some Ibanez Prestige guitars. To be honest, although it was super nice, I couldn't bring myself to spend the money as it wasn't any better then my HH Prestige, just different.

About PRS. I don't mean this as an attack on anyone playing them, as I know they are popular with a lot of people on here. But, they are just super douchey looking to me anymore. IThe build quality is great, and they sound great, but I know I wouldn't play one in public, but that's just me. I wish they would tone it down some, but obviously they're making what the PRS crowd wants. Same with Gibson on some of their latest.

I'm kind of getting away from wanting nice. I sort of want old used stuff as of late, so my opinion probably doesn't really matter.

+1 to Music Man. The Valentine and the Cutlass are so nice. Music Man necks are butter.

With some searching I could probably find one pre-built very similar for less money...

The fiscal conservative in me agrees with you ;)

A completely off-the-wall idea for ya:
http://www.charvel.com/guitars/arti...-caramelized-flame-maple-fingerboard-natural/

2865434701_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Guthrie's Charvel Signature guitar. Historically Charvel has produced quality gear, not sure on where they land today.

Hope that's partially valuable to ya!

I have 3 PRS's and love them all. I have a custom 24, a CE24 with a Floyd and a SE Angelus.
To me, they feel like home. The necks just have a great feel and I love the sound I get with them all. The quality and workmanship is top notch.
I also love the 25" scale. I have never bonded with the 25.5 for some reason. I have some Fenders with 25.5 - I play them for certain tracks - but they don't get even a quarter of time my PRS's do.
That said - I don't have a ton of experience with Suhr. I play one a long time ago and liked it. Not enough to replace my custom 24 though.

+1 to Music Man. The Valentine and the Cutlass are so nice. Music Man necks are butter.

MM necks are all too little for me. Almost all of them are too narrow for me and the JP is too thin even though it's wider. I did play a Majesty and almost liked it.

MM necks are all too little for me. Almost all of them are too narrow for me and the JP is too thin even though it's wider. I did play a Majesty and almost liked it.
I've got tiny little hands so I like 'em a lot. I have a wide-fat PRS carve on my Hollowbody and it's a real struggle to play.

About PRS. I don't mean this as an attack on anyone playing them, as I know they are popular with a lot of people on here. But, they are just super douchey looking to me anymore. IThe build quality is great, and they sound great, but I know I wouldn't play one in public, but that's just me. I wish they would tone it down some, but obviously they're making what the PRS crowd wants. Same with Gibson on some of their latest.
I felt super douchey playing my Strandbergs in public, but got over it. People don't seem to care lol

Unix-guy: I was in the same boat as you years ago. I've always had descent guitars but I wanted a boutique instrument. I was looking for a floyd, strat style, HSS and a flat thin neck (is my age showing?). I had just sold a Fender Customer Shop set neck strat because I never bonded with it. I looked online at new and used Surh's as well as a few other builder/mfg. I even considered a Warmoth build with top shelf components, me building it but having it plek'd and professionally setup.

I found a place near me that usually stocked at least 1 suhr. It was usually some form of the 24 fret modern which I'm guessing is their best seller. In my opinion those are usually the ones that people say sound sterile. I'm not saying they all do, but in my experience, every one I have played had that sound (not for me). I took a leap of faith and ordered a Classic Custom strat from Suhr (Matt's Music as well).

The build quality and intonation blew me away when I first played it and I still have it today. For me here are a few things I'd keep and a few things I'd change if I could.

Alder Body - This thing just sings acoustically or electrically.
Pickups: Michael Landau Single coils are the best single coils I've ever had. Tone/balance etc.
DSV humbucker in the bridge blows me away. I'm a PAF nut and this pickup has the PAF thing going on but with an uncanny clarity.
Frets: Stainless all the way! Love'm.

I'd change:
They didn't offer as many neck options then. I settled with a Slim C Even taper (Reb Beach neck) and quarter sewn maple. I've almost sent it back many times. The first five years it just seemed unstable even in stable climate conditions. I think it may have finally settled down 7 or more years later. I'd opt for the roasted necks and a flatter radius (preference).

Floyd: I grew up with Floyds (Thanks Ed) and have played them for decades. The Gotoh is the best I've ever played (including the original Floyds). Smooth, accurate and came with a brass block. Full sounding. But with the advancements in standard style trems I would probably opt for the one Pete Thorn uses on his guitar (I think it's a special order from suhr if I'm not mistaken).

Jumbo Frets: I'd opt for the medium SS frets. These jumbos just feel like your fingers are bumping over train tracks when you slide your fingers on the neck. Above the 14th fret they are just too bulky (wide).

Don't drive yourself too crazy! :)

40219646_1479713612128873_6596422364760637440_n.jpg

The fiscal conservative in me agrees with you ;)

A completely off-the-wall idea for ya:
http://www.charvel.com/guitars/arti...-caramelized-flame-maple-fingerboard-natural/

2865434701_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Guthrie's Charvel Signature guitar. Historically Charvel has produced quality gear, not sure on where they land today.

Hope that's partially valuable to ya!
Definitely one in the past I've drooled over... But somehow a $3500 Charvel seems overpriced ;)

Actually, I really love the look of the Charvel DK24 Pro Mod in Shell Pink! The roasted neck really pops with the pastel pink. And it's budget friendly.

Back
Top Bottom