Suhr vs PRS vs ??

Well, the GG they delivered to me, wasn’t a good one. Very badly finished. Never bonded with it and sold it.
Unfortunate. The GG Rasmus I got off the wall at Maken Music in Chicago years ago remains my favorite
superstrat

I’ve been playing PRS a good while now, and have found a few things. SE and S2 models don’t play like the top models, so don’t use one of those to compare with a Suhr Modern... it’ll be a quick decision.

Although I’ve been a 513 devotee for some time, I love the sound of the 594. Something about the pickups in that guitar just sounds great. Of course, it plays like a top PRS, which is hard to beat. If I were shopping, that’s what I’d buy. Not an HSS though!

One other PRS that caught my ear when I was in an HSS mood was the Studio with the humbucker and two narrowfields. While not a true HSS, it sounded great and all pickup positions were usable all the time. I never cared for the volume loss when moving from the bridge pickup in normal HSS guitars. You might check those two out while you’re looking.

On the other hand, that Suhr is pretty. I’d love to try one some day, just to see if they play as good as they look!

I had a Custom 24 which I sold, and still have an older Single Cut PRS. I currently have a few Suhr Moderns with various pickup configurations, 2 Pete Thorn models and a Custom T in the H-H configuration. I don't play as much as most of folks I see on this forum, but for me, the Suhr is the best. The build quality and the necks are perfect. I just didn't bond with the PRS's.

I’ve owned a custom 24. It was probably the nicest guitar I’ve ever put hands on. Despite that it wasn’t really my jam. I have an Ibanez J custom rg style and it is almost to the same quality as the PRS. Seeing as how you are an Ibby guy you might get along better with something closer to your bread and butter Axe. I’ve never had a Suhr in hand but it’s on my wish list. I’m sure they are great too.. but the ball end frets on the J... if you haven’t already take a look on Ibanezrules. If you cant find one in person to try I would definitely trust Rich for a site unseen model

No Kiesel love here? I had a JB (when they were still Carvin) and two Osiris 7 strings. Build quality on all was/is absolutely flawless, necks and fret work the nicest I've ever seen. Love their stainless steel frets. (I had a US Jackson Soloist once and still have a US made Dean RC7, those are the only pro guitars I had/have, so I understand that I have limited experience in this area).

Someday, I'll own a Suhr. I still regret passing on a great used one at GC, back when they would still cut you a deal.

That custom generator is big fun.

....right up until your eyes slide down to the numbers after the dollar sign. :eek:

suhr-mockup.png

You might consider an Ibanez J Custom, or for even more $ the JCRG line. They are quite a step up.

Some of the JCRG line have Gibson scale necks.
Hmm... An option I didn't think about.

Are they actual custom spec? Some of the recent Ibanez features aren't my favorite.

Actually, I almost bought the Premier AZ2204 which I really, really like visually and tone wise... But the neck was way too chunky for me. I ended up with the CE-24 instead. ;)

Bought a couple Suhr -- SSS and SSH. Great guitars. And then tried a Tyler SSH and I was done. Pickups are critical. Even with the Tyler, I ended up swapping out every pickup to get where I needed to go. Acoustically, the Tyler was more alive and responsive to dynamics.

You gotta play a few for a while to get perspective. If you can, buy used and live with it a bit. If you're patient, you'll find at a good price and be able to sell for same or close. That worked well for me. It's all about the bond/connection. If it's there, you'll know it. And if it's REALLY there, that's the keeper.

Last edited:

Are they actual custom spec? Some of the recent Ibanez features aren't my favorite.

Actually, I almost bought the Premier AZ2204 which I really, really like visually and tone wise... But the neck was way too chunky for me. I ended up with the CE-24 instead. ;)
Not custom spec but high end.

My main guitars are PRS, Ron Thorn (pre-Fender), and my Warmoth mutts.

I've owned several Suhr's over the years and love the feel, playability, and the looks - I've never kept one because I have never liked the way they sounded when I play them - I've got buddies with Suhr's that sound great, they're just not for me. I've swapped pickups on them with mixed results. I've still got a Rasmus Moderne and it feels and plays great but I don't care for the sound - I really like this one so I'm going to give some different electronics a shot.

My main guitars are PRS, Ron Thorn (pre-Fender), and my Warmoth mutts.

I've owned several Suhr's over the years and love the feel, playability, and the looks - I've never kept one because I have never liked the way they sounded when I play them - I've got buddies with Suhr's that sound great, they're just not for me. I've swapped pickups on them with mixed results. I've still got a Rasmus Moderne and it feels and plays great but I don't care for the sound - I really like this one so I'm going to give some different electronics a shot.
You’re the only guy I know beside myself who has a Rasmus....it was a brave experiment by John , unsure why it ultimately didnt succeed....

I hear you can get custom spec Ibanez' if you buy QTY 6 or more.

Next up from the Premier line is Prestige (which also includes the PGM line), then J Custom, then JCRG.

I was lucky enough to get Ibanez (via Rich at Ibanez Rules) to build me a one-off JCRG 1701-OAK as I couldn't get anyone to ship me one out of Japan (they were struggling with CITES regulations). Ibanez built it and shipped it no problem (after a 6 month wait, and paying list price :*(. The 1701s have a 628mm/24.75in (Gibson) scale wizard shaped neck. The 11R and 11M (Rosewood, Maple neck) have 628mm U-shaped necks. So does my 1403-WNB, which I believe is the only one ever made. I'm asking if they can one-off another couple 1403-WNBs for me. If anyone wants in, let me know. These models are all very hard to come by (sorry, some of that is because of me).

Rich at Ibanezrules has been great communicating with Ibanez for me.

For some reason, I can't access the JP Ibanez site which had all these guitars up. Here are some links:

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/JCRG1701
https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/JCRG11R
https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/JCRG1403

Back
Top Bottom