Suhr vs PRS vs ??

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I know some of you fine folks own some exquisite axes.

I have some nice guitars, but almost all of them are mid-late eighties MIJ Ibanez (the golden age of Ibanez, IMO) and were bought used (or assembled my me from vintage parts) for less than $500. These were top of the line when new, so they sound and play great.

I do own a PRS CE-24, a newer Prestige and a few others...

But, I'm considering getting a "high end" instrument... You know what I'm talking about, I'm sure. Quality materials and workmanship, stunning aesthetics, highly figured woods...

Just wondering, what your thoughts and opinions are on Suhr vs PRS vs ??

Ballpark price would be $2500-4000. Where is my money best spent?

Go!

I mean, for that money, Suhr will build you exactly what you want from a menu. PRS will still be a factory build, though exquisite as PRS all are. So I guess: do you know exactly what you want and does it amount to something Suhr can build you?

If your answer includes "set neck" then you've already knocked Suhr out of the running, right?

Suhr really sits a cut above for me as far as playability. I know many people feel that way about PRS and I like my PRS S2 but I've played high end ones and I don't get it personally, at least in my hands. They do make some awfully fancy guitars when it comes to aesthetics. I've also heard Anderson is really up there for pure playability and sound, and I would love to try one.

I mean, for that money, Suhr will build you exactly what you want from a menu. PRS will still be a factory build, though exquisite as PRS all are. So I guess: do you know exactly what you want and does it amount to something Suhr can build you?

If your answer includes "set neck" then you've already knocked Suhr out of the running, right?
I'm totally ok with a bolt on neck... Actually, that would be my preference. The CE-24 is the only set neck I own.

And no, I have some ideas, but I'm not convinced of what I want yet.

Almost all my guitars are HSS but I like the idea of an HH configuration... I prefer a 2-point trem, preferably a Floyd Rose locking nut setup but I'm open to other ideas. I would need some play time on a similar instrument to decide.

Last edited:
Suhr really sits a cut above for me as far as playability. I know many people feel that way about PRS and I like my PRS S2 but I've played high end ones and I don't get it personally, at least in my hands. They do make some awfully fancy guitars when it comes to aesthetics. I've also heard Anderson is really up there for pure playability and sound, and I would love to try one.
Thanks.

I know that Suhr and Anderson have a common lineage of sorts.

I'd consider one, too, although I'm not a fan of the unusual neck joint.

I'm totally ok with a bolt on neck... Actually, that would be my preference. The CE-24 is the only set neck I own.
I'd spec a Suhr then. You'll get precisely what you want for that much money.

If we can swing it, you're welcome to drop by and play mine. You can play it next to various PRSi and my Ibby. Maybe one day I'm working from home? It'd literally be on your way home from work...

I'd spec a Suhr then. You'll get precisely what you want for that much money.

If we can swing it, you're welcome to drop by and play mine. You can play it next to various PRSi and my Ibby. Maybe one day I'm working from home? It'd literally be on your way home from work...
I edited my post while you were replying to add more details... I might have to take you up on your offer. Appreciate that!

Thanks.

I know that Suhr and Anderson have a common lineage of sorts.

I'd consider one, too, although I'm not a fan of the unusual neck joint.

I have a few Andersons and I really love them. One thing that is great about them is they do short (Gibson) scale as well as Fender scale. I really like the neck joint. I definitely prefer it to my Suhr neck joints which feel more clunky and traditional and just in the way. Suhr guitars are wonderful, but I'm just saying don't decide based on the Anderson neck joint unless that tips you toward an Anderson.

Just saw your last post. Looks awesome. Personally I've bought all my Suhr and Anderson guitars used. When you find what you want it is often less than half price of a custom build. Maybe someday if I know exactly what I want I'll get a custom build.

I have both PRSi and Suhrs. I don't know why these brands get compared so regularly. Besides being well-built, they have very little in common, at all. It would be like comparing Fender to Gibson if Gibson had comparable quality control. They don't sound anything alike.

Personally, I prefer the tone of a PRS. Suhrs are very nice and exceptionally easy to play, but will never sound like a PRS - and vice versa - they each have their own thing going on, tonally.
Suhr obviously are better value in the custom shop department.

I would never buy a new PRS. IMO the new pattern necks are inferior to the old wide/fat neck, which is no longer an option - of course this is personal preference.

Last edited:
I currently have two PRSi (DC22 and SCHBI). I have owned a few Suhrs. Both are fantastic when it comes to build quality and playability, but very different guitars in terms of tone. Suhr is solidly in the Fender camp, and PRS is a hybrid somewhere between Fender and Gibson, more of it's own voice (although they do make their version of an LP and Strat).

In my case, I want my S-style guitars to be more vintage-like so the Fender Custom Shop beats out Suhr for me. Every Suhr I have owned or played has a more refined, more pristine, more modern sounding (some would say sterile) than the FCS guitars - even the Suhr Classic with vintage style pickups and a vintage style bridge. The Suhrs played better out of the box, but never felt right to me. But I'm more of a traditionalist and would never play the guitar you spec'd out in post #12 :p

Anyway, out of the two I prefer PRS but it is somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison.

I will say this, Suhr's customer service is second to none. Outstanding, in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom