Suhr vs PRS vs ??

Do guitars get much better in terms of playability (other than personal preference differences) above ~$1200 though?
That was my question in buying an $1850, bottom of the range Suhr, and I'm a convert. Can't speak for anyone else but that instrument easily justified its expense and I had a Kiesel at the time.

I've got nothing against PRS but when their relationship with GC (for the real high end ones anyway) ended there were a lot on clearance and I spent a good amount of time trying to find one that I wanted to buy. Ultimately I didn't find any I wanted even at 40% or more off. Course I guess the two companies made up since they're stocked again.

Another guitar I've tried a couple of in that price range is the JEM, and that's been a mixed bag. The very nature of a guitar is that they are organic and therefore variable (except Parker Fly I guess) which makes every brand and model have its hits and misses.

It's actually intentional... Suhr Modern Antique finish, the whole body is cracked all over, bridge hardware tarnished, etc..

No large obvious intentional chips or wear though. I don't normally like relic guitars but this one really spoke to me for some reason. I played it at Cosmo Music in Toronto when I was there on vacation last summer and I couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks afterwards. Went online and they still had it in stock, and on discount, so I bought it online and got it shipped here... there was actually a delay because the staff had to check with Suhr to make sure the guitar wasn't actually damaged and was supposed to be that way :)

Here's the whole guitar if anyone's interested in seeing some more Suhrs (not the best quality, but lighting in my apartment is kind of dim in the evenings):

IMG_0335.jpeg

Basswood body, like most of my Ibanez, with a one piece maple top. Pau Ferro fretboard with clay dots, natural satin finish on the roasted maple neck. The neck is a fair bit thicker than my Ibanez but I like it for this reason, suits some styles of playing better for me. The fretboard edges are rolled and the fretwork is the best I've ever seen.
I've never been a fan of the wacky coloured and very busy flame or quilt tops, so the subdued nature of this one really appealed to me. It's one of three "high end" guitars I own, the others being a MusicMan JP6 and a J.Custom RG8570. They're all great guitars but I would say the fit and finish on this one is one step above the other too, especially when it comes to the neck feel and fret work.

Last edited:
The neck is thinner than an RG? I'm guessing that model is not a Wizard? Because the thinnest Suhr neck specs are thicker than the Wizard necks I'm accustomed to.

Er, I meant to say the opposite :) Either "fair bit thicker than on my Ibanez"

The J.Custom definitely has the thinest neck I've ever played, thinner by a bit than the Prestige 1570 I used to have.

My OP said $2500-4000.

As far as what people want to spend their hard earned money on, I think that's very individual. You don't determine how I spend mine and I don't determine how you spend yours ;)

Where did I say that you shouldn't? You are 100% to spend your money on whatever you want. Just as I am 100% free to wonder why people spend their money on things like that.

Lacquer cracks you say? ;)

View attachment 52937
That looks intentional to me. ;) Is the finish nitro by the way? It's just that some guitars like Music Man f.ex. use the same poly that they use on cars so I hardly ever get any dings on them even if I accidentally smash a cymbal with the guitar while some finishes are not so forgiving. The Suhr lacquer actually turned into flakes starting from near the pickups when my friend switched pickups... and at the same time it turned out that the pickups were different than the ones he ordered... so I'm a bit afraid spending that much on a guitar especially with European prices and how long it takes to get the guitar when there might be something wrong with it after the wait and money spent.

Yes it's nitro finish, and yes the cracking is intentional :) But I really liked the idea of a decayed looking finish / guitar in this case for some reason.

Funny that you mention the Music Man poly finish, because my JP6 is one of the few guitars I have that I've put any dings into. I bumped the headstock of my Ibanez into the corner of it and it put a dent in the finish. Mind you, it didn't chip, just has an indentation, so it's definitely resilient but still soft.

Oh nice. Music Man finish seems very similar to Fender's poly finish. I do love that old cracked nitro finish look though.. ohhh yeaah..

normal_917_p40011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom