Suhr vs Petrucci Guitars

Doug

Inspired
I'm looking into buying either a Suhr or one of the EBMM Petrucci guitars, and I'm wondering if anyone has extensive (or even minimal) experience with both? I've heard (read) that Suhr is off the charts in terms of playability, but will I be able to create tones similar to what the EBMM can create? Would anyone consider the Suhr and the EBMM to be similar tonally? I have the Axe FX, so I'm looking for a be-all, end-all type of guitar.

There is a big thread on the Petrucci forums regarding this topic, but no one has really touched on tone yet. I'd jump into the fray, but apparently the site is closed to new members.

I don't know if there's any similarity to a MM Luke, but I would not buy a MM before trying extensively.

The neck on my (2nd hand) Luke is a bit weird to me. I've hurt my hands on it and make more damping mistakes with it.
OTOH, the strings seem a tiny bit closer together, so for some it is the "easiest neck in the world." I'm just unlucky my hands don't fit it so well, even if they are not big. I've wondered myself how a Petrucci neck would relate...

Also, while on certain aspects the build quality is excellent (5 screws for the neck, very long screws for the strap), I do have a problem with the first string not sounding as strong as it should be and the Big Boss won't even acknowledge this is possible, so my choice would be easy.

I have a EBMM Petrucci BFR 6 and 7 and a closet full of other guitars. Its been a couple of years since I had a Suhr, and if I were in the market for a new guitar it would probably be a Suhr. The bottom line is I am now so used to the BFR -> Ultra that I have no desire to change anything. I think you have a very difficult choice ahead of you, they are both superb guitars and both at the top of my list. The Ultra cured my amp gas completely and the BFR cured my guitar gas, its a huge relief after 40 years of hunting down the "perfect setup".

My suggestion would be to buy a used EBMM or Suhr, as they both hold their value well, and if you don't feel the first one is perfect, sell it and buy the other one.

The other issue is price, my last Suhr Modern was about twice as expensive as a an EBMM JP6, and IMHO no better, just different.

Good luck with your hunt, and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers

I don't know if there's any similarity to a MM Luke, but I would not buy a MM before trying extensively.

The neck on my (2nd hand) Luke is a bit weird to me. I've hurt my hands on it and make more damping mistakes with it.
OTOH, the strings seem a tiny bit closer together, so for some it is the "easiest neck in the world." I'm just unlucky my hands don't fit it so well, even if they are not big. I've wondered myself how a Petrucci neck would relate...

The Luke has a thicker V-neck profile whereas the JP is thin like and Ibanez. Imo, the Luke is more like a hot-rodded Strat while the JP is something in it's own category.

I have a EBMM Petrucci BFR 6 and 7 and a closet full of other guitars. Its been a couple of years since I had a Suhr, and if I were in the market for a new guitar it would probably be a Suhr. The bottom line is I am now so used to the BFR -> Ultra that I have no desire to change anything. I think you have a very difficult choice ahead of you, they are both superb guitars and both at the top of my list. The Ultra cured my amp gas completely and the BFR cured my guitar gas, its a huge relief after 40 years of hunting down the "perfect setup".

My suggestion would be to buy a used EBMM or Suhr, as they both hold their value well, and if you don't feel the first one is perfect, sell it and buy the other one.

The other issue is price, my last Suhr Modern was about twice as expensive as a an EBMM JP6, and IMHO no better, just different.

Good luck with your hunt, and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers

I'm seriously considering buying a used JPX now and then check out Suhr as I go. There is a Suhr dealer here in Oakland (actually Berkeley), about ten minutes from where I work, so I'll have ample opportunity to play a few soon. If I decide to buy a new Suhr there is a six or seven month waiting period anyway. Thanks for the advice to just buy one and move on with life - they do hold their resale value pretty well.

Unless you absolutely must have a custom guitar, I'd suggest buying a Suhr on the secondary market. I bought a Modern from someone on this forum for $1K+ less than a brand new one would cost me, and it was pretty much brand new. It had an SSV pickup in the bridge, which I wasn't a fan of, so I bought an SSH instead, and now it's my main guitar.

I also had an S6 custom made for me, and it's a great guitar and I still have it, but it cost me _more_ than the Modern. I like the neck profile on the Suhrs. It's pretty beefy, but not too much, which makes it work well with my hands. Suhr pickups are also second to none, and all Suhrs come with Plek'd frets these days, which means ridiculously low, buzz-free action.

I've never had (or played) a BFR, but I have a hard time imagining that it would be any better.

I've never played a Suhr guitar but I've owned three EBMM JPs. All I can say is that JPs are NOT versatile. Good metal/rock guitars but that's just about it. I ended up selling all my EBMM JPs and replacing them with PRS since these guitars really are versatile and TBH these work better even for metal than EBMM JPs ever did. If you really stop and think about it EBMM JPs are just fancy looking Ibanez guitars with DiMarzio pickups and you can get those for 500€ new. I promise they'll sound the same. Probably won't get as much street cred but that's not what this is about right? BFR's however might sound better... but I think they are overpriced. They change the wood of the guitar and BANG 1500€ extra on the price. So... I'd pick PRS over Suhr because of the versatility factor but like I said I've never played a Suhr so I don't know if it's better/worse than PRS. All I know is that in the long run you'll realize how limited you are with a EBMM JP.

versitility comes from the player. not entirely the guitar. plus if you own an axe fx its kinda hard to be limited, despite the guitar. just my 2 cents. :)
just get both. lol

versitility comes from the player. not entirely the guitar. plus if you own an axe fx its kinda hard to be limited, despite the guitar. just my 2 cents. :)
just get both. lol

Sure you can be a versatile guitarist but tonal options are limited by the guitar. The EBMM JP is perfect for what JP does. Suhr/PRS with split coils etc. gives you a strat and a lp at the same time. What more do you want?

All great advice guys, thanks. I went with a used 2008 Suhr modern - I think I got it for a great price, I'll confirm once I actually get to play the guitar. Bought it off of scuba200ft (an Axe FX buyer and also a lurker here) at Harmony Central. I've heard too many great things about Suhr to pass this one up. If it's not the guitar for me then I'll reconsider the JP series.

Photos are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/116139122887422153127/SuhrModern#

SuhrModern

Last edited:
Sure you can be a versatile guitarist but tonal options are limited by the guitar. The EBMM JP is perfect for what JP does. Suhr/PRS with split coils etc. gives you a strat and a lp at the same time. What more do you want?

Can't you split pickups on EBMM JP as well?
I mean, to modify it....

All great advice guys, thanks. I went with a used 2009 Suhr modern - I think I got it for a great price, I'll confirm once I actually get to play the guitar. Bought it off of scuba200ft (an Axe FX buyer and also a lurker here) at Harmony Central. I've heard too many great things about Suhr to pass this one up. If it's not the guitar for me then I'll reconsider the JP series.

SuhrModern

Good call. That's a gorgeous guitar.

+1

keep in mind the jp also has a piezo. and im mainly saying the guitar itself is not limiting. pickups, yes. but im not above slapping some different pups in any guitar. signature or not. lol

Yes, we all want to pay 3000€ for a guitar just so we can modify it further. The center pickup position is split but it's the old DT single coil tone. Piezo is for acoustic tones and doesn't work with amps. I had three JPs guys. I sold them one by one. They felt like a toys to me when compared to real guitars like strats lps prs's.

We all know he made the right decision I mean look at that guitar. ;) And now you are playing your guitar. Not Petrucci's guitar.

All great advice guys, thanks. I went with a used 2008 Suhr modern - I think I got it for a great price, I'll confirm once I actually get to play the guitar. Bought it off of scuba200ft (an Axe FX buyer and also a lurker here) at Harmony Central. I've heard too many great things about Suhr to pass this one up. If it's not the guitar for me then I'll reconsider the JP series.

SuhrModern

Grats and a good choice made :)

I have both, a VERY nice suhr carved top and a MM petrucci LE 2008 which is nice also ....
Both are quality products but to be honest the Suhr is better overall in quality ...

Last edited:
I have a Suhr Standard and Pro Series II, but not a JP guitar. Have played a few of the JP's in the shops but I find the neck profile way too thin for my liking.

Looking into the Suhr Modern... It seems to have everything I need, but I'm considering something a bit more lighter in weight. My Standard is quite heavy.

Just my 2 cents.

Yep, just waiting for the guitar to make it here to Northern California from Tampa. Time is moving so slow I think it's moving backwards at this point.

Back
Top Bottom