Suhr SSV and SSH+ pickups really noisy?

Shielding is never the issue if all the components are quality and the output wire is screened .
Think about it,the back of the pot (screened, in fact it is a metal can) the pickup wire (screened) the output wire (should be screened).
Adding a load of copper makes no difference .
If the guitar is noisy and others are not in the same position in the same room with the same amp you have a slightly dodgy component in the signal path in the guitar.

Shielding is never the issue if all the components are quality and the output wire is screened .
Think about it,the back of the pot (screened, in fact it is a metal can) the pickup wire (screened) the output wire (should be screened).
If the guitar is noisy and others are not in the same position in the same room with the same amp you have a slightly dodgy component in the signal path in the guitar.
Basically I was saying the same thing. The main reason I went crazy with copper shielding was to try and make it more silent in split mode. It didn’t do much in that respect. It was my first expensive guitar and hoped do make it perfect. This was like 25 years ago when I was younger and had the time and energy to do overkill on things. I wasn’t really recommending anyone need go to that extreme. However I do disagree that shielding the control cavity in some way is completely useless.

I still go back to what I have stated here multiple times. I think all this noise issue in most cases are people with their FM3 on a table in front of them with other EMI producing devices (BTW I don’t care what anyone says the FM3 throws off a good bit of EMI) combined with all the new guitars people bought over the past 2 years with all sorts of pups and wiring schemes and pup configurations that all will be different from each other.

The Strandbergs are perfectly fine unless as you said there is some sort of component issue or bad ground. Which is not mistakable for stray EMI and positioning. It will be bad no matter where you stand or what room you’re in.

Basically, I come from a background of doing Time Domain Reflectometry and Frequency Domain testing and R&D with high speed digital transmission lines and components (like designing Gigabit Ethernet and server back bones years ago) where the slightest bit of EMI and RFI was a big deal. I worked with Faraday cages and full blow anechoic chambers. So my idea of what’s acceptable either high or low is a bit skewed.

Basically the Boden NX series have the highest quality component and wiring on a production (Indonesian) guitar I have seen.

Edit:
And the reason I said “Thick” was not that it provides better shielding it is that a lot the thin cheap stuff you see for guitar ends of tearing and being a pain to work with.

Last edited:
Andy,
Forgive my ignorance, but will braided shield work just as well as screened?

I thought screen was the foil, vs the stranded wire I use. I learn something new everyday :)
Yeah that sometimes is confused. It’s really just a difference in terminology. Whether there is a physical reason at some point way back in the day that the British and Europeans went with screen I’m not sure. Like when I mentioned faraday cages they use a mesh/screen material to shield a large area. The whole EMI and RFI rejection World got very complex as technology got complex and the regulatory realm became more involved with electronics.

This thread is over a month old now, but I thought I’d jump in …

Yesterday, my .strandberg* Prog NX 6 arrived, with Suhr SSV and SSH+ pups. I’ve been playing with Neumann open headphones, louder than I should.

No issues. None. Went back and checked again, turning it up without playing anything. Nothing. I mean, it’s quiet.

I’m sorry anyone is having issues, but unless something has changed between the time yours and mine were made, I don’t think there’s anything intrinsic to the Suhrs or the strandbergs that would reproducibly cause problems. I’m sorry you’re having them, and hope you find the reason(s).

I’m just ignoring it, not really sure what the below symptoms mean.

Suhr guitar with Suhr pups : Noiseless everywhere
Strandberg with Suhr pups : Noisy in my jam studio and some gigs, very low noise / noiseless at home and other gigs.

I’m just ignoring it, not really sure what the below symptoms mean.

Suhr guitar with Suhr pups : Noiseless everywhere
Strandberg with Suhr pups : Noisy in my jam studio and some gigs, very low noise / noiseless at home and other gigs.
This is hard to explain. They use pretty much identical components and in my HH Suhr the some wiring even . The only difference is the Suhr has a painted cavity (graphite) and the Strandberg has foil. Maybe our screening people may want to explain this one? I still would be looking for a dry joint or a component issue. From a screening perspective the Strandberg has the pickups sitting high on the body and the Suhr they are half in the rout. This is the only obvious difference. You could always fit covers if you think the screening is the issue.

From a screening perspective the Strandberg has the pickups sitting high on the body and the Suhr they are half in the rout.
This is an interesting and good point. The PUPs do sit high on Standberg. Could be a consideration. Just for a general FYI I don’t feel my Strandberg is any more noisy than my other HB guitars. Of course when I’m sitting in front of a table with a Laptop (with LED backlight..when I choose), FM3, Audio Interface with guitar facing and at same height it is susceptible to EMI depending on position.

I can’t speak about all Strasberg’s, but my Boden Prog NX6 has the control cavity shield painted and just a grounded piece of copper cut to fit just the bottom (section closest to the top where controls are attached). The rest is just paint. My only thinking about this is to put some added protection since the maple piece and veneer tops are rather thin compared to other tops on guitars. Either in testing or just build philosophy they felt this would reduce EMI. I believe the lack of thickness is a combination weight reduction, a quasi hollow body sound resonance and Eco friendly (in terms of getting the most from a piece of figured wood) design. And most likely a materials or labor cost reduction.

The cost reduction aspect which any manufacturer holds high on their list would lead me to believe if they didn’t feel the copper was not helpful in some way they wouldn’t add it. That piece of copper has to be a meaningful expense. In all my R&D and Production corporate experience every cent is sweated over and hours of design engineering meetings are wasted over less than a penny. Especially when millions of potential products are in consideration. I realize Ola would only dream of “millions”, but the same thinking applies at every level.

P.S.
I’m not beyond the idea of the copper foil being there for only appearance sake, because the appearance of quality (especially in the electric guitar world) is worth money. Although taking into consideration Ola’s eco friendly attitude I would think this would be less likely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom