Suhr Riot model: correct?

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I'm running through all drive models, having a blast.
But the Suhr Riot models sound quite "honky" and "raspy".
If someone owns the original, can you please compare it to the models?

The Riot sounds great plugged into a Fender. The honk counteracts the midrange freq dip of the Fender tone stack. I think that's what John was going for . . .

Try it in front of the Deluxe Reverb or Vibro-King model. It sounds great there.
Must give that a go

The Riot sounds great plugged into a Fender. The honk counteracts the midrange freq dip of the Fender tone stack. I think that's what John was going for . . .

Try it in front of the Deluxe Reverb or Vibro-King model. It sounds great there.
Just watched a That Pedal Show video that went over a similar thing- the Boss DS-1 sounds awful in front of a clean Fender because they both have a mid scoop, but crank the volume until that mid-range goodness comes out of the tubes and the DS-1 sounded great.

They also tried a rat on a Marshall, to show the same in reverse- pushing a mid-focused amp with more mids didn't sound great, but a mid-scooped DS-1 sounded good.

I've owned several riot pedals (different versions with switches etc.). Was one of my gain pedals for years in the tube amp days.

Fractal Drive models are accurate.

that's the thing a lot of guys miss about drives...often they are designed with specific amps in mind. Tube Screamers sound great in front of scooped amps, can sound like cardboard into a Vox.

I had a circa 2010 Suhr Riot pedal - it worked wonderfully in front of my Mesa Boogie Roadster Dual Rectifier.
So when I found it years later, I dialed up a good tone with it into the AxeFx III. Used those settings to get the same tone/feel etc with the Suhr model in the AxeFx itself.

The classic metal tone back in day was just some kinda boost in front of a Mesa, and the Suhr was quite tasty in that role. Gave the pedal to my son.

I have the Riot mini which I don't think has the germanium mode which is the one I prefer in Axe... the frequency and raspy top is really close. The pedal has a lot of output which is captured for boosting inputs nicely for less hair.

I don't own the original but it's one of my favourite drives in the axe fx, use it in front of the hiwatt and you can nail some gilmour-style muff tones with the germanium model, or even some high-gain stuff with the LED and Si models

Back
Top Bottom